4/20 Providence

Hello Everyone,

It took me a long time to post something. Must be a little bit of post concert depression and just keeping this special moment between "me and my friends".

Anyways, overall a much better show than Portland. 7 songs in Portland were not done in RI and vice versa.

Setlist kept me on my toes.......literally. I had to stand all night and loved every second of it. At this point I don't see any people in the "sit down" seats ever standing up and showing interest in a Wilco show. I understand that people like to sit and absorb the show. To each his/her own. The 3 gentlemen who came out and did the horns on the 2 songs (no need to list them by now) were amazing. Highlight of the show. Everyone needs to see I'm The Man Who Loves You and Monday with horns.

So after the show I waited outside for the band again with my 2 friends. It was my friend Vin's second time seeing them and the first was at a gym (Brandeis 04) and they also did In A Future Age. I thought for a second in the opening note that it was actually the album version of Sunken Treasure.

Well, the band came out pretty quick....quicker than in Portland. Probably because there were no backstage folks. Glenn came out first while I moved the car closer to the tour bus. I missed him but had a great little conversation with him the night before. My friends talked to him for a bit. Oh btw there were about 15 of us waiting (more than half of which were very young looking college students). Mikael came out and remembered me from Portland and said "sorry you didn't get Wishful Thinking." I told him it was ok. I didn't request the song we just mentioned the song title when he said "it'd be Wishful Thinking for the new album to be out this year."

Pat came out and chatted with us for a bit. All I can remember is some older gentleman with an A.M. cd waiting for it to be autographed. Not sure if Pat or anyone else NOT on the album autographed it, but my friends and I joked that the guy must've stopped buying Wilco cds after A.M.

Finally Jeff and Nels came out. Jeff bee lined it to the middle of us and pointed at this flat screen tv that you could see from someone's dorm. He said in a holy shit voice " Wow. Look at that guy's head. It's so huge. And Look at that woman's head. It's so big. Isn't that creepy." Than he proceeded to go around and shake our hands. It was priceless. We knew we were in for a treat. It was the most talkative I have seen Jeff after a show. He than took pics with the young looking college kids. Than he came back to me and my friends.

Pretty quickly. I have to say and my friends agree, Jeff Tweedy wanted to hang out and chat with my friends. Maybe it's because we're all in our late 20s and had stuff to ask and wanted to small talk. Most of the college kids asked for a signature, photograph and said thank you.

Anyways I asked about the song title Walken. If it is about Christopher Walken. Jeff said "no." I asked than is it supposed to be spelled Walken? He said " Setlists aren't accurate as far as new song titles go. By the time the new record comes out .... it may have a different title or spelling." My friend than asked about how he titles songs or knows at which point to give the song a name. My friend is a singer-songwriter with a band. Jeff mentioned something about Apostolic being a song title he just came up with. This question seemed to stump Jeff at first. Meanwhile my other friend Vin is having a chat with some woman and Nels Cline about horns and Mike Watt and LA.

So we ask Jeff about summer tour plans. Asked if they were coming back to Boston. He said not that they know of yet. I asked about Canada and he said "yes, we are playing Canada this summer." To which we told him we'll have to come and see you guys in Montreal. Jeff than asked us if we were seeing them in NJ or any of the 3 shows remaining. We said no and he seemed upset. It was a weird moment.

When Jeff was asked of the new album he summed it up by saying "this album is pretty straighforward. none of the stuff that we did on the last few records will be showing up on here." NICE.

Than my singer-songwriter friend mentioned how he was asked by Ryan Adams (after meeting him in Vt, hanging out with him and me on a tour bus in Hampton Beach, NH, meeting him in upstate NY) to open for him at the Starland Ballroom last June. Look at www.answeringbell.com and look at the show for June 4. It lists as opener All The Tired Horses. So Jeff said that that was pretty cool. And was about to say something but this older woman interrupted them by telling Jeff about her son's band. Which was ok, but it would've been interesting to see what else Jeff had to say about my friend's band. But her talk made Jeff say something interesting. Apparently on every jaunt around the country, the band takes a day on a long road trip to listen to the cd's that up and coming bands give them. I hope I didn't just open the floodgates, but there is a slim chance he was just saying that to make this woman feel better. I don't know.

OH OH..........one thing one of the college students asked was "is Kicking Television the DVD ever gonna see the light of day?" Jeff said "no. But pretty soon we're gonna be shooting more shows for stuff like that." YAY.

One moment that got a tumbleweed reaction from Jeff was this.............after all the college kids got pics.......he was coming toward my friends and I ............i told him "I need a camera." To which he had no expression but continued to talk to us.

So finally after some time Jeff said "bye and see you soon" It seemed like a half hour with the band. Not bad for 18 bucks.

So there you have it almost all that I can remember. Sorry for the length but had to get it out of my head and onto here.

Thanks,

Kristofor

PS For those of you that might email me for my friend's band's site or info...........

They have a myspace page............................

www.myspace.com/allthetiredhorsesmusic.com

And there's pics of him with Ryan Adams and Jeff Tweedy (from last Nov in Northampton).

Edited by u2roolz
Guest mntxcbb
this show is currently up on the VC tracker. thanks to 'groovunit' for the upload and the sweet recording

sorry about my ignorance.... what is the VC tracker?!

Hey folks - I added a second recording of this show to the VC tracker. It includes Ted Leo's opening set, for those of you who asked if it would be available. This one was taped from a stand dead center in front of the board.

This recording has a little less crowd than the previous one, as it was taped from a stand and not a hat. Additionally, I think the band has more presence on this one, while Jeff's vocals are a little further back in the mix. I've included mp3 samples from both recordings to let you guys decide. I also included a sample Ted Leo song so you can get an idea of how clearly his set came out (there was definite concern about the mix, but on the recording, I think it sounds fine). Both are great recordings, so if you've already got Groov's, you might elect to just download the Ted Leo portion if you're interested.

Thanks to Steve Napp for the recording.

Wilco 2006-04-20 Meehan Auditorium - Providence, RI (FLAC - AUD) - WITH: Ted Leo + Pharmacists

http://bt.viachicago.org/details.php?id=530

Jesus, Etc. (2006-04-20 Groovunit)

http://download.yousendit.com/1865201301B4EBF8

Jesus, Etc. (2006-04-20 Napp)

http://download.yousendit.com/10F4710B196B413D

Timorous Me (2006-04-20 Napp)

http://download.yousendit.com/949807D43A38FE94

Edited by HaikuWarriors41