S(l)ayreville, NJ -- 4/21/06

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone who's interested,

Airline To Heaven video - 4/21/06

Warning. It is the whole song (47MB, over 4 min.), but totally worth it imo.

Also have Forget the Flowers (start/stop and start again), Hummingbird, and Walken but gotta go out right now. Let me know if anyone would like any of these. 'Tis better to give then receive.

Definitely interested, I'd love to see more.

Unfortunately, it looks like the download limit for the 'ATH' file has been reached. :hmm

sounds like there were bad spots in the crowd, and really great spots in the crowd...we should work on a designated viachicago area for GA shows....complete with pizza, dancing, and kindness :P

I'm with you there....need some major revamping on the spotage....

There is one particular asshole who I hope is reading this. A very tall, fat fratboy type with possibly the worst breath I've ever smelled. While the 3 stooges video was playing I was trying to call my friend who I was supposed to meet up with. I've lived in the area for a long time and have not had one anti-semetic remark ever passed at me, it's a real shame that my first had to come at a Wilco show. He screamed in my face for no apparent reason, "what, you calling your rabbi?" and then leaned over to his drunk ass friends and made some comment about me being Jewish that he thought was hysterical. I guess he misses his days as the school bully. This was after his pals made it clear to me that I was in "their space". What the fuck is wrong with people?

I remember once reading an interview with Jeff in which he talked about Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down. He mentioned that when he sang it it wasn't so much about Satan in a religious sence, but more about the guys who used to throw pizza at him in the cafeteria at school. Well, unfortunately they now have moved from the cafeteria to your shows.

It was a wonderful show, but in the over twenty times I've seen them, by far the worst crowd.

Well I'm pretty shocked at these negative reviews...but then again, we were front and center and were not crowded in like sardines the way it seems most others were. Everyone around us was great. The sound was fantastic up in front (thank you very much, Star Parking Pass). We even brought a Wilco virgin to the show and I was really concerned beforehand that he wouldn't like them, but he had a great time and said he was really impressed with how amazingly tight the band was. I was worried about Jeff being so pissed in the beginning but I thought he really turned it around. I really didn't get the impression he was letting it affect him for very long. I secretly loved that he told the guy "I'm sorry, but you're being a dick" in that fatherly way only Jeff could pull off. The band was making silly faces at each other through the whole show, and lots of eye contact with the crowd. I never felt like that one asshole made any difference in their attitudes. And I also didn't feel like Jeff was mad at the "Happy birthday Andrew" incident (it isn't like they were yelling that the whole night, only one time as far as I heard) or at the guitar tech either. I thought the set was great....a bit disjointed in the beginning, but overall a great rockin' set appropriate for the Roadhouse type venue. Seeing Monday with the horn section was great. I think that was the highlight of those guys' lives.

I know that being up front makes a HUGE difference for the overall feel of the show though, and although I felt like I was in a tiny club holding me and 50 others because of where we were, every time I turned around and looked at the sea of cramped people I was definitely happy I wasn't mixed in there. So, for me, it was a close second to the Poughkeepsie show. For others, I can see why they might not have been too happy. But, give me a place like that over an assigned seat theater any day. I'd rather brave the crowds than be stuck in a chair. It's a rock show, and they certainly did rock.

BTW, I'll be going through my pictures and posting in the next couple days.

if i said it once ive said it a thousand times --they should have played hackensack!

sorry to hear about your run in Ben -- if it makes you feel better, rest assured those guys and their pencil dicks went home alone that night - as usual - and they woke up with a severe hangover alone this morning

I agree the place was way over sold. Sardines fo sho !!

sorry to hear a few bad reports. I had a great time, and thought the band was rockin', having fun. Tweedy always seems to yell at someone at a Wilco show, so I didn't think much about it.

The horns were a highlight, just seeing how much fun those kids were having put a smile to yer face.

biggest disappointment was missing seeing ya Jen, how did that happen ?

I liked the 3 Stooges, but jeez, it was loud !

Agreed....esp. about Jeff telling that guy he was a dick....he dealt with the jerk very well....sorry to also hear that there was a multitude of jerks in the audience...I too was up front and just ignored all of that and focused on the music and dancing....

VC'ers ought to always meet up front...I know I'll be there!!! :dancing

Well I'm pretty shocked at these negative reviews...but then again, we were front and center and were not crowded in like sardines the way it seems most others were. Everyone around us was great. The sound was fantastic up in front (thank you very much, Star Parking Pass). We even brought a Wilco virgin to the show and I was really concerned beforehand that he wouldn't like them, but he had a great time and said he was really impressed with how amazingly tight the band was. I was worried about Jeff being so pissed in the beginning but I thought he really turned it around. I really didn't get the impression he was letting it affect him for very long. I secretly loved that he told the guy "I'm sorry, but you're being a dick" in that fatherly way only Jeff could pull off. The band was making silly faces at each other through the whole show, and lots of eye contact with the crowd. I never felt like that one asshole made any difference in their attitudes. And I also didn't feel like Jeff was mad at the "Happy birthday Andrew" incident (it isn't like they were yelling that the whole night, only one time as far as I heard) or at the guitar tech either. I thought the set was great....a bit disjointed in the beginning, but overall a great rockin' set appropriate for the Roadhouse type venue. Seeing Monday with the horn section was great. I think that was the highlight of those guys' lives.

I know that being up front makes a HUGE difference for the overall feel of the show though, and although I felt like I was in a tiny club holding me and 50 others because of where we were, every time I turned around and looked at the sea of cramped people I was definitely happy I wasn't mixed in there. So, for me, it was a close second to the Poughkeepsie show. For others, I can see why they might not have been too happy. But, give me a place like that over an assigned seat theater any day. I'd rather brave the crowds than be stuck in a chair. It's a rock show, and they certainly did rock.

BTW, I'll be going through my pictures and posting in the next couple days.

Guest Hillside

What a band, what a show!!! I have been a fan for years now, but for whatever reason just never had the opportunity to see the band. So many bands, so little time. At any rate I enjoyed the show tremendously, and I think that it was one of the best I've seen in many years. The band is really tight with the songs but able to open up inside them with great fluency. The sound from where I was situated was just outstanding. I was off to the left of the stage up on one of the levels. Once the band was mixed the sound was crystal clear even when it was loud. I can't remember seeing a six piece rock band that could get that loud and still maintain such distinction between the individual instruments and voices. A few of the highlights for me were Hummingbird, Kidsmoke, Theologians, and Airline in the Sky. The Kidsmoke in particular lifted me up to a state of bliss and at one point I commented to my friend..."audio ecstacy" I just love the warm tone of all the tube amps, vintage gear, and mix of electronica and acoustic sounds these guys have going. Complete with the angry frontman and decent lyrics, what more could you ask for? Is Tweety always so moody... no matter he seems to be able to channel it up on stage just fine. A couple of Jersey cheap shots, but I won't hold that against him. Not sure if I am overstating here but to my ears these guys were on par with some of the old Grateful Dead shows I have seen. Two days later and I am still basking in the after-glow.

As an aside, some of you folks who commented on the show should rethink your expectations when visiting this type of a venue. I myself was just so happy to see such a great band in such close proximity. The crowded venue melted away once the band began to play.

Guest johnnyaudio

Hello All, It was our 3rd show (Radio City & MSG) and we loved it! While we were not on the floor we did the parking pass option (strongly recommend that for any show at The Starland Ballroom) and we were able to get get a really great place to see the show, off to the right of the stage, but behind the floor area. You could see everything except for some of Pat's keyboards. The sound was fantastic, and we brought three 1st timers to the show, if they were only interested in Wilco before, they are hooked on Wilco now! Sorry to hear that some of you had a not so good time. Every show anywhere will have its tools and jackasses, it doesn't speak for all of us in NJ! Seeing Wilco in a small venue was a something special and we hope that they come back to The Starland again, the sound was great and it was easier and cheaper than heading into NYC.

Take Care!

biggest disappointment was missing seeing ya Jen, how did that happen ?

I know!!! And after seeing your pictures I'm even more baffled about why we couldn't see each other. I tried calling you a couple times after we talked (yelled) to each other too. I'm really bummed. I guess we'll have to wait until our outing to see Mart!

I uploaded my Walken clip to youtube. Enjoy :rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX4HU8I7Tmo

Ha, you caught a little bit of Nels' silliness in there, too. He's been very giddy/friendly lately. Playing as well as he does, he could stand there like a frozen soldier and I'd still be crazy about him. But his willingness to let his inner child prance around on the stage makes me even more impressed.

I loved the show, and had a really great time. If we had idiots near us, they weren't idiot enough for me to even remember, so I'll consider myself lucky, and really glad I went.

>i don't agree about the venue or the crowd. it was great to see them play in a smaller place again. i have seen them everywhere over the last couple of years from msg to radio city to jazzfest to several outdoor pavillions. i thought this was really a great spot as it was a very bar like atmosphere and the crowd was really into it.

Agreed. I cannot believe that 90% of the posts about the show are negative and almost all about only the venue. Yes, the place was oversold, but Starland has great sightlines from any vantage point and the sound system is tremendously clear. Anyone who attended just saw the band from about 30 feet away in a bar-like setting. That's a rarity these days and should be appreciated.

That being said Nels is an absolute monster. He shredded and has an absolute mastery over the instrument. He could make the thing scream and harmonize in the same song. Then he could throw the sweetes country licks this side of Nashville on the next. Nels is a national treasure, and you get the sense Jeff knows and loves it.

The sounds was so clear that you could hear each instrument individually and perfectly. I hope it's as apparent on the tape circulating on dimeadozen.

Bottom line: An excellent show from the most important band around, one at the top of its game and still on the rise. Appreciate what you have here. You are witnessing a band in its prime...and only improving.