S(l)ayreville, NJ -- 4/21/06

Wait....it's all starting to make sense now.....Heidi, were you there with bbop? I was pretty sure it was him, but I didn't recognize the girl with him. If that was you, we were right behind you in the Star Parking Line. :frusty

Nope, nope, I was at the show with bbop, but I wasn't in the parking line. I bet you're thinking of someone named Sarah.

I did stand by Paul during the show, though. I don't think I even know what you look like, so if I saw you, I didn't know it. :D

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to everyone for sharing the pictures and video. Great souvenirs of a great show. I personally loved it, overcrowded (expected) or not. I've been used to places that are tight, just not that big and prefer that to seats in a theater any day. I'm pretty easy to please though, but even mrs. Eyeball was impressed and has some new found respect.

Ysi more video parisisstale!!! The airline video is great till the sound explodes at the end. :thumbup

>i don't agree about the venue or the crowd. it was great to see them play in a smaller place again. i have seen them everywhere over the last couple of years from msg to radio city to jazzfest to several outdoor pavillions. i thought this was really a great spot as it was a very bar like atmosphere and the crowd was really into it.

Agreed. I cannot believe that 90% of the posts about the show are negative and almost all about only the venue. Yes, the place was oversold, but Starland has great sightlines from any vantage point and the sound system is tremendously clear. Anyone who attended just saw the band from about 30 feet away in a bar-like setting. That's a rarity these days and should be appreciated.

That being said Nels is an absolute monster. He shredded and has an absolute mastery over the instrument. He could make the thing scream and harmonize in the same song. Then he could throw the sweetes country licks this side of Nashville on the next. Nels is a national treasure, and you get the sense Jeff knows and loves it.

The sounds was so clear that you could hear each instrument individually and perfectly. I hope it's as apparent on the tape circulating on dimeadozen.

Bottom line: An excellent show from the most important band around, one at the top of its game and still on the rise. Appreciate what you have here. You are witnessing a band in its prime...and only improving.

Absolutely 100% agree with every word you said.

I figured I'd finally get my review in.

I LOVED Starland. With the Star Parking, we were able to get right in the middle, about 4 people back. It was crowded, but everyone respected one another's space -- there was no pushing or anything. The people around me were a testament to Wilco's appeal -- there were two guys ahead of me who looked about 10 years younger than me, and someone behind me who looked 10 years older than me. Sorry to hear about bad experiences.

Unfortunately, the obnoxious guy was fairly close. He went from "Turn up the volume" during Muzzle of Bees, to "Take your hat off!" and "I'll see you in Charlottesville." Jeff was glaring at him all the way through Shot in the Arm -- it was actually unnerving -- too intense.

After seeing the amazing setlist from Maine, I was hoping to hear some songs I'd never heard live. So I thought I was disappointed, but looking back, I was singing and dancing and smiling the whole time. I can't complain. Walken sounds amazing live, and Forget the Flowers is a personal favorite.

It's just really nice to see that everyone in the band is having a great time -- the interaction is great, and they sound amazing.

I assume the horns were the same from Brown? What a dream. If they ever need a flute ...

Anyway, I was too excited to take any pictures, so keep 'em coming! And thanks parisstale for the videos!

Unfortunately, the obnoxious guy was fairly close. He went from "Turn up the volume" during Muzzle of Bees, to "Take your hat off!" and "I'll see you in Charlottesville." Jeff was glaring at him all the way through Shot in the Arm -- it was actually unnerving -- too intense.

I hope it's just wilco fans who make tweedy seem like jackass and not that he actually becomes that ridiculously preoccupied with one person

I forgot to mention how much I loved the opening act, Morricone Youth. They do music composed for film and television, sometimes different arrangements, and sometimes straight-up covers. Their cd was perfect driving music for the trip to Virginia the next day (well, supplemented by a whole lot of Jon Brion).

They've got an "everything we've ever played" list in the music section of their site, and it really makes me wish I had some bootlegs of theirs. Mothra's Song, yay!

Please forward to that women from Black Eyed Peas: it is possible to rock out hygenically after all.

Believe it or not, while that picture was opening on my computer for the first time I was repeating "please don't be a Black Eyed Peas shot" over and over. :lol

I hope it's just wilco fans who make tweedy seem like jackass and not that he actually becomes that ridiculously preoccupied with one person

Nah, he really looked like he wanted to kill that guy. Actually, I'm a pretty laid back guy but that guy was pretty tough to take. He reminded me of the "Roses Bloom Again" guy from the Abbey Show. Angry Jeff took nothing away from the show for me. And he definitely cheered up as the show went on. See below for evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search=wilc...e=search_videos

There's also a sweet ALWYS clip that someone else posted (the Spiders one's not mine either, I was bouncing too much during those)

Believe it or not, while that picture was opening on my computer for the first time I was repeating "please don't be a Black Eyed Peas shot" over and over. :lol

Great minds ...

Rock'n'roll is 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration, or something.

Waterproof denim - who knew?

Hello all, new to the board here but not the music! Was at this show and had a blast. Sorry some didn't fully enjoy the show but that's a general admis. show for you. I'll echo same sentiment someone else posted here- I'll take a general admis show anyday over a seated show, no matter what band I go see. I remember being in CA in mid to late 80's, seeing Dead shows that were all gen admis, moved to east coast and yuck! Those were some of the best I've ever seen, although you can't beat the energy of east coasters.

Anyways I took my 12yr old son with me to turn him on to some good music, he's familiar with some of the material as he has no choice- music gets played loud in our house. We were up near the bar on the right side of the stage and had an excellent view, so didn't deal with the floor at all. I'd just like to thank the great fans where we were, couldn't have been more pleasant even in somewhat crowded conditions. Also to the band and the people who waited after the show to meet the band. We met everyone except for Jeff and band was super cool. Nels was first out conversed briefly with my son- asking him if he plays any instruments, my son replied he has drums and a guitar but don't know which one to full take up- Nels' response was to "do both!". Complimented my son on his Hendrix hoodie as I brought up the Dead- said if they ever covered a dead tune in the future he want to do Black Peter, which was somewhat suprising to me. He did ask my son are sure you're 12- you seem too big and mature- my son is near 6ft at 12, he'll be 13 next month. Next out was John who was more than cordial- super nice guy-talked to everyone. He then came off the bus with a pizza and told a few, inlcuding my son, they can have Glenn's pizza. So then here comes Glenn- "you guys eatin my pizza?" Provided some good laughs as he talked and signed also. My son told him he was a mad man on the drums! Well I can ramble more but no need to. All in all couldn't have asked for a better evening- as meeting the band was my son's highlight. Once again a big thanks to the fans and the band for making a memorable evening. ps..you know it worked when your kid tells you next day- dad, I'm going with you again next time they're here and asking me if the show is up on my bit torrent thingy that i use- gotta love it. Oh and Hummingbird- we saw you after the show- was there when you gave Glenn the hummingbird you made to give to Jeff- hope he got it- good hanging with you. Thanks again everybody.

passenger40...I'm happy to see you on here. I was one of the teenagers waiting after the show. I think it's awsome you turned your son on to some good music.

Hey thanks nugget- it ain't easy, especially the crap kids listen today. speaking of nuggets-off work in 10 minutes :yes

Thanks! It was great to hang out after the show and talk with the band. I too hope Jeff got the hummingbird pendant that I gave to Glenn....it was actually meant for Jeff's wife. I was hoping it might put him in a better mood...?

Your must be one super cool Dad....I have a five year old and am just waiting for the day when she's old enough to take with me to see WILCO...Hummingbird and I'm a Wheel are her favorites...my 3 year old just likes to say, "don't know nothing...." over and over when he hears Theologians.

Hope to see you at the next show! Canada?

Hello all, new to the board here but not the music! Was at this show and had a blast. Sorry some didn't fully enjoy the show but that's a general admis. show for you. I'll echo same sentiment someone else posted here- I'll take a general admis show anyday over a seated show, no matter what band I go see. I remember being in CA in mid to late 80's, seeing Dead shows that were all gen admis, moved to east coast and yuck! Those were some of the best I've ever seen, although you can't beat the energy of east coasters.

Anyways I took my 12yr old son with me to turn him on to some good music, he's familiar with some of the material as he has no choice- music gets played loud in our house. We were up near the bar on the right side of the stage and had an excellent view, so didn't deal with the floor at all. I'd just like to thank the great fans where we were, couldn't have been more pleasant even in somewhat crowded conditions. Also to the band and the people who waited after the show to meet the band. We met everyone except for Jeff and band was super cool. Nels was first out conversed briefly with my son- asking him if he plays any instruments, my son replied he has drums and a guitar but don't know which one to full take up- Nels' response was to "do both!". Complimented my son on his Hendrix hoodie as I brought up the Dead- said if they ever covered a dead tune in the future he want to do Black Peter, which was somewhat suprising to me. He did ask my son are sure you're 12- you seem too big and mature- my son is near 6ft at 12, he'll be 13 next month. Next out was John who was more than cordial- super nice guy-talked to everyone. He then came off the bus with a pizza and told a few, inlcuding my son, they can have Glenn's pizza. So then here comes Glenn- "you guys eatin my pizza?" Provided some good laughs as he talked and signed also. My son told him he was a mad man on the drums! Well I can ramble more but no need to. All in all couldn't have asked for a better evening- as meeting the band was my son's highlight. Once again a big thanks to the fans and the band for making a memorable evening. ps..you know it worked when your kid tells you next day- dad, I'm going with you again next time they're here and asking me if the show is up on my bit torrent thingy that i use- gotta love it. Oh and Hummingbird- we saw you after the show- was there when you gave Glenn the hummingbird you made to give to Jeff- hope he got it- good hanging with you. Thanks again everybody.