Flaming Lips - Birmingham Academy, 25/4/06

Yup. I know they rarely kick their set around, no delving into the back catalogue too much. But there is a thought of if it's not broke why fix it? They dropped 4 tracks from Mystics, played Feeling Yourself Disintegrate, for the first time in 3 years I think.

The tracklisting went:

Race For The Prize

Free Radicals

Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Part 1 and 2

Vein Of Stars

In The Morning Of The Magicians

The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song

The Wand

Cow And Duck Jam

She Don't Use Jelly

Felling Yourself Disintegrate

Do You Realize?

War Pigs

Steven and Kliph were sensational. The multi-instrumental work from Steven is just jaw-dropping - he really does seem to keep the thing ticking over, and Kliph's playing was just brutal, he totally destroyed War Pigs (I mean that in a good way). Wayne was off-key as usual but that hardly mattered, he was drowned out for most of the gig, and was as avuncular as ever in between songs... kinda like a earthier (in swearing terms alone) version of Earl Hickey from My Name Is Earl.

Was a really great night. Managed to bump into Wayne outside the venue beforehand, and my girlfriend got given one of Kliph's drumsticks. They give a lot and get a lot back from their audience - sometimes it pays for a band to be nice, but I don't mean that in the wet-apologetic Chris Martin sense.

Radio 1 broadcast the gig last night. It's available for people to listen to it again here . I have a MP3 version of the gig....if anyone wants it, drop me a PM and I'll up it to YSI. Will post some photos from the gig shortly.

Okay. Photos as promised.

Here's one of Wayne on the street outside the venue -

100_0710.jpg

Support came from the wildly energetic Go! Team - hadn't worked out that taking the flash off my camera would have been a good idea at this point

100_0721.jpg

One for our resident Taffs (andrewdowdall and Welsh Rich). Drummer Kliph nailing his Welsh family heritage to the mast during set-up:

100_0749.jpg

I was right down the front so I managed to get a few good shots of the band:

100_0788.jpg

Being straight in front of Steven helped

100_0798.jpg

Here's the link to the show, just a few points to note, the sound cuts out almost a immediately for a few seconds - I dunno why. And it's a BBC recording so when Wayne talks about the Santas and Aliens on either side the stage they cut out him saying that the Santas represent Christianity (cue audience boo's) and the Aliens represent Scientology (cue even bigger boo's). There is also no War Pigs or Feeling Yourself Disintegrate on the recording.

One for our resident Taffs (andrewdowdall and Welsh Rich). Drummer Kliph nailing his Welsh family heritage to the mast during set-up

I can't see photobucket at work, so I'm guessing that it's either our wonderful flag, or an inflatable sheep.

(Has he really got some Welsh inside him?)

It's a red t-shirt with "Cymru" on the front - I had heard he had some welsh ancestry to him.

Great photos Mark - look really good.

I'm going to bring my camera along to the Jenny Lewis gig tomorrow night... Hope to get some, errr, good ones...

• 3 weeks later...