The first time I saw it was under duress, as I said to one of my friends (who loves Janeane Garofalo) that everything Janeane Garofalo is in is as a general rule - shit. However, he proved me wrong, not only with this, but also with The Independent.

You didn't like Mystery Men then, did you? Come on, Tom Waits and everything!

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

poster1_full.jpg

Watched Munich last night. It was a pretty good action movie, but only thought-provoking or controversial in the most superficial ways. I was surprised how much I found myself unequivocally pulling for the Israelis, despite the occasional "We do bad things, too" moments.

Good acting, though. Geoffrey Rush is always fun to watch (which stands true in Mystery Men as well, to tie this post to the preceding one).

The first time I saw it was under duress, as I said to one of my friends (who loves Janeane Garofalo) that everything Janeane Garofalo is in is as a general rule - shit. However, he proved me wrong, not only with this, but also with The Independent.

"When I was at camp, my favorite activity was always arts and crafts. Or, as we used to call it: arts and *farts* and crafts. We used to make drawings... cave drawings! Which is my way of saying we were cave men. I went to camp so long ago, that I can remember saying "sticks and stones may break my bones" and meaning it! I went to camp so long ago that fucking Jesus Christ was my counselor! And my best friend hadn't fully evolved yet! His name was Ug and he walked on all fours! There were two epidemics when I went to camp: head lice, and the plague - the Bubonic plague!"

I might try and see it then, cheers.

I don't care for this movie - but I like her stand-up act.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a cracking double bill of films over the weekend. First up on Friday was Grizzly Man that I picked up on dvd. This is a really intriguing film as there are a multitude of angles to take on this. Was Timothy just a troubled, alienated loner who only found peace in the animal world - someone who lived by the sword and was quite happy to die by the sword? Or was he a bit of a split personality - selfish in dragging his girlfriend along on his misguided adventures, and bitter at other human inteference - than himself - in the animal world coupled with a cosmic starchild 'isn't nature harmless and beautiful' innocence.

For me he was a combination of South Park's Mr. Garrison, and the motormouth spleen venting of Quentin Tarantino, who really was a bit out of his depth when coming face to face nature's own law (sound a bit like Embrace there, and that's not a good place to be.)

Saturday night and I caught, in one of the two cinemas in Britain showing it, The Squid & The Whale. This too was superb. Simultaneously funny and painful to watch. Jeff Daniels was amazing as the selfish, competitve, blinkered dad from hell - he should have been at least nominated for an Oscar for this. Loved the little throwaway lines like referring to Kafka as 'one my predecessors'. Fans of Wes Anderson should look in.

Jeff Daniels was amazing as the selfish, competitve, blinkered dad from hell - he should have been at least nominated for an Oscar for this.

I agree--the performance Daniels gives is one of my favorites from last year. I also enjoyed the way the script is deeply resistant to "story," aiming instead for an impressionistic portrait of domestic discord, focusing on how the failings of these two parents trickle down into the lives of their kids (never worse than when the kids are used as pawns in the separation game).

Good call on Grizzly Man, too.

I watched Talk To Her last night. I think it was my first time seeing an Almodovar flick. I can see why people love him.

Oh isn't it a GREAT movie!?! I only just saw Bad Education a couple months ago, just as good. All About My Mother is my favourite of his though. Have you seen Amores Perros?? Gotta love Gael Garcia Bernal. If you haven't seen Y Tu Mama Tambien, you should. AND Sexo, Pudor Y Lagrimas. :)

I've just started watching Northern Exposure again. On the 3rd episode. It's supposed to rain all weekend here, so I imagine I'll breeze through a few of those by Monday.

Has anyone seen Art School Confidential yet?

Edited by Tamed By Rock & Roll
Oh isn't it a GREAT movie!?! I only just saw Bad Education a couple months ago, just as good. All About My Mother is my favourite of his though. Have you seen Amores Perros?? Gotta love Gael Garcia Bernal. If you haven't seen Y Tu Mama Tambien, you should. AND Sexo, Pudor Y Lagrimas. :)

Whoah, whoah, whoah.

:D

I've seen Tu Mama, but I think I'll take you up on All About My Mother. Into the queue...

1068121647188936.jpg

Watched this last night, hopped up on too much caffeine! This is a moving fable set in 1970s Scotland, about the power of love and faith.

This was Emily Watson's film debut, and she is luminous and devastating. The quality of the filming was grainy and high contrast. The filming technique was unusual: "In modern film editing, the original film footage is transferred to video where it is edited to its final cut, then used as a guide for a negative cutter going back to the original film footage. In the case of this film, however, they just recorded the video edit back to 35mm, resulting in its unique, highly grainy look."

I recommend this film!

'Tis a good movie that... very dark though and not exactly easy viewing.

I videoed this again for the umpteenth time on the tele on Sat night:

B00005NB0B.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I really must get it on DVD as it's become a favourite of mine.

It's weird how good Michael Douglas is in that movie.

M. Chris - Breaking The Waves is one of my favorites. Emily Watson :wub

No way! OMG, I was undone watching that movie, and by Emily Watson particularly. My heart is beating faster just thinking of her. :wub

Finally finished watching the rest of Band of Brothers last night. What a series, great stuff. This weekend will be watching some more Northern Exposure and Extras. Oh, going to see Dave Chapelle's Block Party tomorrow night.

We saw X Men Sunday night. Visually awesome, story sucked ass. And I loved the first two.

Stellar review, eh?

Yeah .....but you nailed it.

Last night:

B00005JLR8.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Saw this when released and just caught it again on IFC.

Forgotten what a real gem it is.