Anyone else a fan of the League of Gentlemen TV Series?

I just stumbled upon the series. SO FUNNY.

My favorite is "your my wife now".

I still like Little Britain better, but this one comes in as a close second.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just shelled out for this - on the strength of Grizzly Man alone. Got it from Play.com - for the same price - as the offer appears to be over at amazon.

noticed that Crispin Glover provides a commentary too, so I'm looking forward to it more now. He's one of my favourite cinematic weirdo's, and as George McFly delivers one of the best lines on the silver screen.

"Lorraine! You're my density..... sorry, my destiny!"

Hope you like them. If you do, you should try and get the other boxset with his films he made with Klaus Kinski (Fitzcarraldo, Aguirre: Wrath of God, Woyzeck, Nosferatu The Vampire, Cobra Verde and My Best Fiend which is a documentary Herzog made about his relationship with Kinski - how they both tried to kill each other at various times & that kind of thing).

The best thing about all his films is that they are really two films in one. You can watch them without the commentary and enjoy them and also watch them with the commentary and they become brilliant documentaries about the making of film and the people who make them.

I finally watched Brokeback Mountain last night. The cinemetography was lovely, the acting adequate, the sex hot, and Larry McMurtry helped write the screenplay. In spite of all of this, my reaction was, "Meh." I just never connected with any of the characters.

I just saw Brokeback Mtn over the weekend ... I was struck by how it could have been a love story about any two people. Well, until the ending. :hmm And the story is from one of my favorite authors, Annie Proulx. :hmm

I just saw Brokeback Mtn over the weekend ... I was struck by how it could have been a love story about any two people. Well, until the ending. :hmm And the story is from one of my favorite authors, Annie Proulx. :hmm

So, with all of those elements going for it, did you like it?

Anyone else a fan of the League of Gentlemen TV Series?

I just stumbled upon the series. SO FUNNY.

My favorite is "your my wife now".

I still like Little Britain better, but this one comes in as a close second.

The first series of League of Gentlemen is brilliant, and the second series is pretty good too. It goes down a bit after that though. If you like that (and I don't know why you like Little Britain!) you should check out "I'm Alan Partridge" series 1 & 2, "Spaced" series 1 & 2 (from the people who made Shaun of the Dead, but a hell of a lot funnier than that), and The Smell of Reeves & Mortimer. You can get all those on DVD.

Here are some clips of those shows from YouTube:

Alan Partridge - Interviewing a Farmer (Chris Morris)

Spaced Episode 1 Series 1

One of the Smell Of Reeves & Mortimer Intros

Vic & Bob doing a sketch about plums with Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Leonardo Di Caprio & Robert De Niro

So, with all of those elements going for it, did you like it?

I did, watched it twice, and not just for the hot gay sex. :pirate

I finally watched Brokeback Mountain last night. The cinemetography was lovely, the acting adequate, the sex hot, and Larry McMurtry helped write the screenplay. In spite of all of this, my reaction was, "Meh." I just never connected with any of the characters.

Same reaction here, exactly.

6305320616.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This was great, except about halfway through, after loads of interview footage of Berry Gordy, Quincy Jones, Herbie Hancock, etc., fucking Coolio shows up. Coolio. If only this documentary had been made a few years before or later, because he'd be nowhere near this. Sample Coolio quote: "It's like Stevie Wonder, you know, can't see, wit' his eyes, you know? But he can see what others can't." Jesus.

Apart from that, wonderful Stevie footage. He just knows everything about a recording studio. It's amazing. And watching his drumming alone is worth the price of admission.

B00009YXAU.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

ok, this just sent me on a twenty minute IMDB surf that ended with "Psst! Hammerman's After You!," an after-school special starring lance kerwin.

sir s.: the stevie doc looks very cool!!

Les Chiefs - Hockey Doc

"This is the true story of five brawling hockey players, who live in the back of a hockey arena and fight their way to heroic status in the most violent league in the world. One by one our heroes begin to crumble against their worst foes - themselves. Les Chiefs is a real-life account of men fighting to remain boys."

Great movie, extremely entertaining. :thumbup

B0007NN6J2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Watched a piece of this last night, till I fell asleep. I may rent this or try to catch it again on IFC, because it piqued my curiousity, and I'm not that much of a fan. Interesting group of people for sure.

Oak City. Who knew?

prairieposter.jpg

Not top-of-the-line Altman, but I still had a blast hanging out with these particular characters for a couple of hours.

I've finally gotten to watch The Corner, that HBO mini-series from a few years ago.

My god, that's like the greatest thing I've ever seen on a television screen(and that includes The Wire).

David Simon has to be in so much demand. Fucking genius storyteller.

Saw the Al Gore movie the other night. A very entertaining and informative piece of work. Sad, though, to think of how less fucked we and the world would be if Al had been made president in 2000 instead of that retard.

i was watching "Elephant" the gus van sant film on hotel HBO until lightning blew out the signal. :no

i missed it at the theatre. what i saw of it was terrific and well done. i missed the beginning, but from the first shot i saw, i guessed it was gus. it was one long shot that lasted about 4 minutes.

i'm going to have to rent that when i get home.

B0000YEEGW.01._AA260_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgwolf-creek-2005.jpg

Two horror movies with wolf in the title. Am I bad film lover if I confess I preferred the Australian gorefest over Ingmar Bergman's portrait of a descent into madness?

No, just a bad film snob. :lol

:D

Film snobs sometimes seem more interested in being associated with the baggage attached to certain movies rather than the works themselves. A true student of film ought to be egalitarian in their tastes, willing to dive into so-called "elitist" art, but equally willing to consider the pleasures of so-called "lesser" forms and genres. Biases just get in the way of the fun, at least in my experience.

Anyway... I watched and enjoyed this today:

B000F8OIKK.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V51480401_.jpg