• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last weekend purchased Grand Theft Parsons for 2.00 thank god we didn't spend anymore than that on this flick. It was not a very good one, if it wasn't for the burned out hippie the movie would not even been funny, which I know it should not have been since it was about the passing of Gram Parsons, but if not for the comedy aspect of the film it would have been real boring.

Just watched the Fog of War by Erroll Morris.

I admired The Fog of War a great deal, but my favorite Errol Morris movies are probably Mr. Death and The Thin Blue Line... check those out if you haven't already. Also worth seeing is his short-lived TV series called "First Person," which is now available on DVD. Some of those episodes rank among Morris' most incisive work, I think.

Gates of Heaven, yes. That's a good one, too. The only Morris films that I really didn't care for are Vernon, Florida and Fast, Cheap & Out of Control, although both have merits.

luna_tmdymm.jpg

my friend's film about the last six months of luna screened here in los angeles this weekend. i'm having difficulty describing the richness of the film without spelling it out. here is a snippet from a review:

"Tell Me Do You Miss Me is like a Luna song: intimate, deeply personal, sweet and sad."--Joe Levy, rolling stone.

it comes out on rhino home video on june 20th. if you're a fan of the band, i recommend it without reservation. if you've not listened to Luna, it may be a bit heavy on the music for you, but the direction is wonderful. i'm a fan of the director as well. he made a documentary about jazz vocalist jimmy scott a couple years ago titled, "If You Only Knew."

full disclosure: i'm a luna fan, and i cut some of the bonus material for the DVD release. B)

I saw Cars this weekend. I'm shocked at how low on the list so many of you rated it. I lost count of how many times I whispered "woooooow" at the insane animation. A great deal of the movie borderlines looking like live action. I can't believe how advanced Pixar has become with this new movie. I loved the story too, and the little things that only Pixar knows how to deliver well. Like the VW Beetles, and the Minnesota couple looking for the freeway locking their doors when Lightning tries to convince them he's being held prisoner. Those are the kinds of moments that I love about Pixar movies. But it all came down to the animation for me, and I was in awe. The next step for them will have to be animations that don't look like graphics at all, because they've come darn close already.

Oh, and that One Man Band short in the beginning was so fantastic that I would have been totally happy with just seeing that!

Just wanted to tell people that have HBO that there's a truly amazing 13-part miniseries on HBO On-Demand called Epitafios that is a must-see for anyone that likes serial killer-type mysteries. It's set in an anonymous big city in Argentina and it follows a few cops and others as they try and hunt down a serial killer. I can't hype it enough. Totally worth the 9 dollars a month On-Demand costs.

Edited by Moltisanti

Recent viewing for me has consisted of:

B0002LXU6I.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I missed this when it was on Channel 4 but thought Shaun of the Dead was great, so when it was finally available again in shops I jumped on it. Simply one of the best British comedies from recent years.

B000216XRQ.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I read the comic a few months back and loved it, but for some reason I slept on this for too long. Pekar's observation's on life frequently leave you shouting "wow, someone else thinks that too", and Giamatti's performance is spot on.

B000ATJKM0.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I need to watch this again. Thought-provoking, provocative and taut drama.

I picked up Batman Begins and the Back to the Future trilogy today... not watched many movies lately so I'm trying to rectify that. Plus, no plans this weekend.

Edited by WildMercurySound
B000216XRQ.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I read the comic a few months back and loved it, but for some reason I slept on this for too long. Pekar's observation's on life frequently leave you shouting "wow, someone else thinks that too", and Giamatti's performance is spot on.

I picked up Batman Begins and the Back to the Future trilogy today... not watched many movies lately so I'm trying to rectify that. Plus, no plans this weekend.

I love American Splendour - great movie and comic book.

Batman Begins is also really good, recently bought that myself. As for the Back To The Future trilogy, great, great movies!

Cambridge Film Festival is on next month and I get to book tickets today being a member.

My choice picks are:

The Science Of Sleep the new Michael Gondry movie.

Tideland the new Terry Gilliam movie, he's going to be talking about it at the late showing, so I'm hoping to get tickets for that - it would rule!

Little Fish australian movie with Cate Blanchett, don't know much about it but my girlfriend fancied it.

Shanghai Dreams looks like an interesting movie based around the cultural revolution.

We'll see - got a feeling that Tideland is going to be hard to get tickets for, but other than that I'm hoping to get what I want :)

colmaINDEXdifLAURELS_19.jpgcolmaINDEXdifLAURELS_21.jpgcolmaINDEXdifLAURELS_20.jpgcolmaINDEXdifLAURELS_22.jpg

We saw Colma: The Musical! the other night. It might not be as funny if you don't know the place (although I suppose every big city has its "dead" suburb, the town where all the cemeteries are), but since I grew up in the next town over (the characters in this movie went to my high school, had summer jobs in the same mall that I did, etc.), I got a great kick out of it. And a couple of family members made it into the "audience" shot on the blog page, which of you eagle-eyes can spot them? :P

Finished watching the Neil Young movie, Heart of Gold, which which was profoundly sad. :ohwell

Tonight, will finish up Syriana, which seemed great though still have more than half way to go.

B)

I saw Cars this weekend. I'm shocked at how low on the list so many of you rated it. I lost count of how many times I whispered "woooooow" at the insane animation. A great deal of the movie borderlines looking like live action. I can't believe how advanced Pixar has become with this new movie. I loved the story too, and the little things that only Pixar knows how to deliver well. Like the VW Beetles, and the Minnesota couple looking for the freeway locking their doors when Lightning tries to convince them he's being held prisoner. Those are the kinds of moments that I love about Pixar movies. But it all came down to the animation for me, and I was in awe. The next step for them will have to be animations that don't look like graphics at all, because they've come darn close already.

Oh, and that One Man Band short in the beginning was so fantastic that I would have been totally happy with just seeing that!

Just saw that. It was so much better than I expected, which is the norm with Pixar movies now.

The end, when John Ratzenberger started talking about all of the voices he's done for Pixar movies I just about died. That was too good.

Recent viewing for me has consisted of:

B0002LXU6I.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I missed this when it was on Channel 4 but thought Shaun of the Dead was great, so when it was finally available again in shops I jumped on it. Simply one of the best British comedies from recent years.

I just happened to watch a couple of episodes of this for the first time last night (it's on BBC America), and it is really funny. I did the same as you -- I watched it because I recognized the Shaun of the Dead guy.