At least that's what you said

Guest Left Arm Tan

Guest Left Arm Tan

is there anyone who can tell me how to play this song. i know it'll take me about 400 years to learn it, but i don't care, it rocks too fucking hard.

This is what I do - note this is not how Tweedy plays it. He plays it with a capo (I think capo 5) which may be a lot easier. I just got comfortable with this before I learned about the capo

At Least That's What You Said							Wilco
Intro: Am G

[Am]When I sat down on the bed next to you
You started to [G]cry
I said, [Am]maybe if I leave, you'll want me
To come back [G]home
[Am]Or maybe all you mean, is [G]leave me alone
At [C]least that's what you [G]said

[Am]You're irresistible when you get [G]mad
[Am]Isn't it sad, I'm [G]immune
[Am]I thought it was cute
For you to kiss
My [G]purple black eye
Even though I [Am]caught it from you
I still think we're [G]serious
At [C]least that's what you [G]said 
[no chords/drums, electric guitar hits Am lick] then...  Riff 1
Am Am G G Am Am G G (hard quater note bangs)
solo - [Am Am G G] x 16 to end

Riff 1

G			   G
---------------------------
-(0)------------------------
--0-0--0-2-4--4-2-4--4-5-7-
-(0)--------------------------

Riff 2a

Am	   Am			G		  G
---7---5--|----3-2-0----|-----3---2--|--0------------
----------|----------3--|-----------|----3--3-1-----
----------|----2--------|-0---0-----|0----------2-0-
---5---5-|-------------|------------|---------------
----------|-------------|-----------|---------------
----------|-------------|-----------|---------------

Riff 2b

Am		 Am	   G		 G
-7-7-7-7-7-|7-5-3-2------|---3---2--|--0------------
-----------|-------------|----------|----3--3-1-----
-----------|-------------|-0---0----|0----------2-0-
-----------|-------------|----------|---------------

Solo map:

| Am | Am | G | G | Am | Am | G | G | Am | Am | G | G | Am | Am | G | G |
|	  riff 2a	|	  riff 2a	|	  riff 2a	|	  riff 2a	|

|  solo   |riff 1 |  solo   |riff 1 | riff 2b - strong|  solo   |riff 1*|

|  solo   | riff1*|	 riff 2b**   | improv solo to end....

Fade out with 2 more times through the Am Am G G progression

Notes

* in live versions, bass/rhythm guitar play riff while lead guitar improvises

** played as 16th notes, with drummer playing 16th notes on snare, w/ cymbal crashes etc..

Edited by jhc
  • 3 months later...

if you want to play it like jeff, you'll need to drop the low E down to D, then capo at 5th fret.

I'm trying to put some tabs together right now, but am having trouble finding the time. I'll try to put a rough sketch of this one together in the next week or so.

You're basically (and everything I reference is with the capo on 5th fret) going to alternate at the beginning between:

E------------

B------------

G------------

D-0-h-2-----

A-2----2----

D-2----2----

and a plain old D chord, then a modified G that looks kind of like this:

E---0---------

B---3--------

G---0---(some play a 2 here)

D---0----

A---2-----

D---0-----

. All the trills and fills will take me awhile to tab, as I plainly suck at tabbing.

He doesn't drop D. If he did the whole beginning half where he'd strum with his fingers would lack the bass A, which I hear.

edit: and when the big part starts, it's cumbersome to hold the 2 on the low string anyways.

I also came up with the "real" ALTWYS riff:

-------------------------
-7-5---------------------
-----7-6-4--7-6-4-2-2p0-0
-----------------------3-
7-7-7-7----5-5-5---------

Edited by poortranslator
He doesn't drop D. If he did the whole beginning half where he'd strum with his fingers would lack the bass A, which I hear.

edit: and when the big part starts, it's cumbersome to hold the 2 on the low string anyways.

I also came up with the "real" ALTWYS riff:

-7-5---------------------
-----7-6-4--7-6-4-2-2p0-0
-----------------------3-
7-7-7-7----5-5-5---------

And it's obvious from your tabbing that you're not playing it capo'd on the 5th fret. I'll be happy to send you video of him doing same. Once you've capo'd on the 5th fret, the drop-D will seem obvious, and the riff you've shown is easier.

let's have a VC love-in!

:wub

I'm not really down with ginancigarettes' "BDSM power exchange" version of love :no

:lol

Edited by jhc
I'm not really down with ginancigarettes' "BDSM power exchange" version of love :no

:lol

I used to think that was why my girlfriend dumped me, but now I think that I'm just not that fun or attractive or interesting. My job also kinda sucks and I'm pretty whiny.

:beer

Also, I think I spend to much time transcribing Wilco songs. Meh, stay tuned.

Yeah, I think you can play it with a capo on 5 and WITHOUT dropping the D. Here's my go at it:

1..+.....+.....+.....+.....2..+.....+.....+.....+.....3..+.....+.....+.....+.....4..+.....+.....+.....+......

a--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|

E--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|

C-----------0-----------0--|--------------------------|-----------0-----------0--|--------------------------|

G--------2-----------2-----|--------------------------|--------2-----------2-----|--------------------------|

D--0--0--------3--3--------|--------------------------|--0--0--------3--3--------|--------------------------|

A--------------------------|--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--|--------------------------|--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--|

5..+.....+.....+.....+.....6..+.....+.....+.....+.....7..+.....+.....+.....+.....8..+.....+.....+.....+......

a--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|

E--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|

C--------0-----------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|

G-----2--------------0-----|--------------------------|--2--2--------------------|--------------------------|

D--0--------------3--------|--------------------------|--0--0--3--3--3--3--3--3--|--2--2--2--2--2--2--2--2--|

A-----------0--1--------0--|--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--|--------0--0--1--1--3--3--|--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--|

Wait a second, that doesn't sound right at all. Maybe it is drop D. Okay, here's my second try WITH drop D:

Intro:

1..+.....+.....+.....+.....2..+.....+.....+.....+.......3..+.....+.....+.....+.....4..+.....+.....+.....+......

a--------------------------|----------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|

E--0--------0--------0-----|--0--0-----0----------------|--------------------------|-----------------------0--|

C--0--------0--0-----0-----|--0--0-----0----------------|--0-----------------------|-----------------------0--|

G--0--2-----0--2-----0--2--|--0--2-----0--0h2---0-0h2p0-|--0--2--4-----------------|--------------------------|

D--2--2-----2--2-----2--2--|--2--2-----2----------------|--0--0--0-----------------|--------------------------|

G--2-----------2-----------|--2--2----------------------|--0--0--0-----------------|--------------------------|

5..+.....+.....+.....+.....6..+.....+.....+.....+.........7..+.....+.....+.....+.....8..+.....+.....+.....+......

a--------------------------|------------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|

E--------------------------|--0--0-----0------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|

C--------------0-----0--0--|--0--0-----0------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|

G--0--2-----0--2-----0--2--|--0--2-----0--0h2---0h2p0-----|--4--0--------------------|--------------------------|

D--2-----------2-----2-----|-----2--------------------0---|--0-----------------------|--------------------------|

G--2-----------------2-----|-----2------------------------|--0-----------------------|--------------------------|

Rocking out:

1..V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^.....2..V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^......

a--------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------|

E--0-----------------------0-----------------------|--------------------------0-----------------------|

C--0-----------------------0-----------------------|--------------------------0-----------------------|

G--0-h2--------------------0-h2--------------0-h2--|--0h2---------------------0-h2---------0----0-h2--|

D--------------2-----------------2-----2-----------|--2-----------2-----------------2-----------------|

G--------------2-----0-----------2-----------------|--2-----------------2-----------2-----------------|

3..V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^.....4..V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^......

a--------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------|

E--------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------|

C--------------2-----------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------|

G--------------0-----------4-----2-----4-----------|--4-----2-----4-----------4-----5----/7-----------|

D--0-----------------------0-----------------------|--0-----------------------0-----------------------|

G--0-----------------------0-----------------------|--0-----------------------0-----------------------|

And then there are the familiar chords which are more complicated than Am and G but I can't hear what the guitar is playing what with the piano in the way so just do something and make sure your piano player is louder than you.

Riff! (Which actually isn't that much of a riff since there are subtle changes that occur each go around. Whether it still qualifies as a riff will depend on the metaphysics of riff-dom):

1..+.....+.....+.....+.....2..+.....+.....+.....+.....3..+.....+.....+.....+.....4..+.....+.....+.......+......

a-----2--------0-----------|--------------------------|--------------------------|----------------------------|

E--------------------------|-----3-----2-----0--------|--------------------------|----------------------------|

C--------------------------|--------------------0-----|-----7--------6-----------|-----4------------2-0----0--|

G--2--------2--------0-----|--0-----0--------------0--|--------0-----------------|-----------0----------4-----|

D-----------------------0--|--------------------------|-/9--------7--------7\----|-\0-----------0-------------|

G--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|----------------------------|

5..+.....+.....+.....+.....6..+.....+.....+.....+.....7..+.....+.....+.....+.....8..+.....+.....+.......+......

a-----2--------0-----------|--------------------------|--------------------------|----------------------------|

E--------------------------|-----3-----2-----0--------|--------------------------|----------------------------|

C--------------------------|--------------------------|-----7--------6-----------|-----4------------2-0----0--|

G--2--------2--------0-----|--0-----0-----------0-----|--------------------------|-----------0--4-------4-----|

D-----------------------0--|-----------------------0--|--9--------7--------7--0--|-/5-----------0-------------|

G--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------0-------------|

9..+.....+.....+.....+.....10.+.....+.....+.....+.....11.+.....+.....+.....+.....12.+.....+.....+.......+......

C----------------------(0)-|--------------------0-----|-----7--------6-----------|-----4----p0------2p0-------|

G--2--------2--------2-----|--0-----0--------------0--|--------------------------|----------------------4--0--|

D-----------------------2--|--------------------------|-/9-----9-\7--------7\----|-/5-----------0-------------|

G--------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|----------------------------|

13.+.....+.....+.....+.....14.+.....+.....+.....+.....15.+.....+.....+.....+.....16.+.....+.....+.......+......

C--------------------------|--------------------0-----|-----7--------6-----------|-----4----------------------|

G--2--------2--------0-----|--0-----0--------------0--|--------0-----------0-----|-----------4------7-5-4--0--|

D-----------------------0--|--------------------------|--9--------7-----------0--|-/5-----------0-------------|

There're a lot of notes here so I'm sure I screwed up somewhere. Also, there are a lot of formatting issues to try to fit all of the staffs in here so I'll probably continue to edit over the next couple of days, but there you go.

Cheers

Thanks, John. :cheers

I'm surprised no one has commented about the first joke in my tab.

Audience: That's because it really wasn't that funny.

Ah, yes.

I knew it was obviously something else, but never tried to figure out what it was