The Charlatans 5/16/06 Webster Hall, NYC!

AWESOME SHOW! Tim gave me the rock sign during Blackend Blue Eyes because I was one of two people singing along in the crowd...I was first row! YAY! :lol

Here is the list!

NYC

For Your Entertainment

Telling Stories

Felling Holy

City Of The Dead

North Country

Archetect

You're So Pretty

Sing A Hymn

Can't Get Out Of Bed (Best song of the night!!!!)

Jesus Hairdo

One To Another

Road To Paradise

Impossible

Blackend Blue Eyes

My Beautiful Friend (Fast version..odd!)

Muddy Ground

The Only One I Know

How High

-----------------------

Up At The Lake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just When Your Thinking

Sportson

Edited by remphish1

Same set list from the other night apart from they didnt play Up At The Lake... I cant remember the first song after the encore as I was by then hammered on cider and busy being crushed.

Sounds like you had a good time - glad it was a good show.

Heres a review I found....

charlatans4.jpg

The Charlatans @ Webster Hall: Madchester Comes to NYC

Charlatans4 Tim Burgess answered one of my question towards the beginning of their show tonight. He said, "we haven't played New York in ten years." That's pretty amazing, you'd think there was more of a demand for one of the pioneering BritPop bands on the early 90s.

In any event, I got a sample of the Madchester scene or some incredible simulation of it tonight when Burgess and his Manchester crew played to a non-sold out, but enthusiastic crowd of British lads and ladies and British lad wannabes like myself at Webster Hall. This was the first stop on their extensive U.S. to promote their latest album, Simpatico, a Charlatans album that finally gets a U.S. proper release, albeit it's a lackluster effort.

Although they are touring to get the word out on their new material, I came to hear the old tunes. They played the three tunes I wanted to hear -- "Just When You're Thinkin' Things Are Over" with that great piano melody, "Can't Get Out of Bed" with those happy-go-lucky lyrics and "The Only One I Know." It's was pretty funny on that one because Tim had to stop the song because he messed up his intro. It was at that song that crowd of lads got into it and started a decent mosh. It was the most well-behaved moshed I've seen. The people who wanted to go nuts got nuts and didn't bother anyone nearby. It's was self contained. Then when the bass line started for the closer, "Sprosten Green," the crowd energy peaked to the point that a few tried to crowd surf somewhat unsuccessfully. I was watching Tim to see if he was enjoying the energy in the crowd and he had the look on his face, "Yeah, been there, seen that for the past 16 years." That seven-minute closer capped off the night perfectly -- it's a nice jam out song with swirling organs, a heavy pass line and Tim on harmonica.

The only thing I didn't know going into tonight was if Burgess was a stoic frontman like Ian Brown or a more engaging fellow like Richard Ashcroft. He's somewhere in the middle. He's not much into stage banter but he did make a lot of eye contact, smiled a lot at people and pointed at people as to say, "Thanks for nodding your head in tune."

The new album isn't impressive. Tonight's opener, "NYC," is an awkward song that doesn't sound very Charlatan like because of its shouting chorus. The one good song is the first song on the album, "Black and Blue Eyes," that has a fuller sound and a better, smoother chorus. The low points of the show came when the new songs were played, but hearing the classics made the show all the worth while.

As for the band, you would never know that they've been going strong for two decades. They played a very tight set, and as far as I can tell, they haven't lost anything in terms of musicianship. The rosy-cheeked Burgess looks fit and well, it must be that L.A. weather he gets now that he's moved to the West Coast.

I have to admit that even though I love their music because it particularly British sounding and its, indicative of what came out of Manchester in the early 90s, akin to Stone Roses and Happy Mondays, I'm not well versed in their catalog. Considering this new album is their ninth in 16 years, we yanks haven't been exposed to all things Charlatans. They didn't get many props here back in the day, while a legions of Europeans got to experience their psychedelic rock beats and organ progressions. You hear Tim's voice and it's eerily similar to Ian Brown. Then one has to wonder how much Liam Gallagher was influences by Tim's singing style. I have the Charltans's greatest hits on my IPOD and when a Charlatans song comes on it takes me a while to register that it's them. Then I say to myself, "Oh, yeah. This rocks."

Like last year's New Order show, it was great to see a British band cross the pond to entertain us anglophiles.