Looking for the last Amp I will ever need

Hey my budget is ideally under 1G but for awhile I wanted the Vox AC30CC2X, so I'm willing to go a fair amount over it.

The tone I want is a warmer version of the kicking television version of Late Greats and for the clean channel I'm looking for a bellsy radiohead a la Let Down type tone.

I play through a Strat with Fat 50's pick ups. Also, I need a new OD pedal so suggestions to that are welcome as well

Thanks for any help.

I spotted a Made in England Vox reissue for under 1 G should I go for it I believe the auction ends tomorrow.

Hey my budget is ideally under 1G but for awhile I wanted the Vox AC30CC2X, so I'm willing to go a fair amount over it.

The tone I want is a warmer version of the kicking television version of Late Greats and for the clean channel I'm looking for a bellsy radiohead a la Let Down type tone.

I play through a Strat with Fat 50's pick ups. Also, I need a new OD pedal so suggestions to that are welcome as well

Thanks for any help.

I spotted a Made in England Vox reissue for under 1 G should I go for it I believe the auction ends tomorrow.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data...C30_6TB-01.html

Looks like a cool amp - you'd probably have to pay pretty close attention to maintenence issues though. I've heard that the very first run of the Custom Classic line had some reliability issues, but that seems to have been solved now.

Overdrive - Crowther Hotcake. Google Hotcake and AC30...

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data...C30_6TB-01.html

Looks like a cool amp - you'd probably have to pay pretty close attention to maintenence issues though. I've heard that the very first run of the Custom Classic line had some reliability issues, but that seems to have been solved now.

can't go wrong with the vox! The extra money for the blue speakers is worth it. Also consider an ac-15. Used under a grand, master volume and easier on the back! i've always played out with a vox!

I was thinking of buying a tubescreamer to satisfy my OD needs. Perhaps I should reconsider? or is this like comparing apples to oranges?

The key to good tone = good tube amp + good pickups. I have handwound pickups in a most of my guitars: some are Jason Lollars, the others Harmonic Design. They can be pricey (my Lollar's were $150 ea.), but well worth it.

Fender makes several affordable tube amps - Blues Junior, Hot Rod Deluxe, Hot Rod Deville, etc. I happen to like the Fender Deluxe Reverb - only 22 watts, but those are tube watts. I wouldn't even consider a solid-state amp, and don't get me started on my rant about modeling technology. Most modern tube amps have a pre-gain type knob that will overdrive the preamp stage while allowing you to keep the volume at any level you like. These are okay, but what you really want is power amp distortion. For this reason, I keep my amps under 50 watts. You want to be able to overdrive the power tubes (which means turning up near full blast) without drowning out everyone else on stage.

I also use a modified Ibanez Tube Screamer to goose up the tubes a bit. I crank the level all the way, but keep the drive knob down fairly low, around 9 o'clock. I'm no electronics expert, but some of circuitry of the pedal have been replaced with the same circuitry used by the original Ibanez Tube Screamers, which bring quite a price on eBay. You can find them already modded (like I did), or do it yourself if you're handy with a solder gun.

My last pedal trick is to employ a Boss EQ pedal for a boost when I solo. Most soundmen aren't going to be bothered with raising your level when you solo, so I use the EQ (set flat with the level boosted several db) to boost my own solos.

Edited by BolivarBaLues
I was thinking of buying a tubescreamer to satisfy my OD needs. Perhaps I should reconsider? or is this like comparing apples to oranges?

I dunno, do you have an AC30? Overdrives react differently to different amps at (this is important) different gain settings (some can sound great at bedroom volumes, but dime the amp and they sound horrible, or at least different). I find my Deluxe Reverb Reissue is finnicky when it comes to overdrives. Others are more forgiving.

Also, it depends on the style you're playing and what you're using the overdrive for. Single notes might sound cool with certain overdrives but chords sound like mud. Of course, you might like this. Be clear on what you're looking for, you might think you want overdrive but the sound you might really want distortion or fuzz (they're each different).

The best thing to do is try a bunch of overdrives with your amp and your #1 guitar at various gain levels and see what you like (unless you're just into buying gear -- I think I had a post earlier about how I got into massive amounts of debt). It might be that you dig stuff that no one recommends and you hate the boutique stuff that some people love.

That said, lots of people dig the Hotcake/AC30 combo. It's a good place to start.

I also use a modified Ibanez Tube Screamer to goose up the tubes a bit. I crank the level all the way, but keep the drive knob down fairly low, around 9 o'clock. I'm no electronics expert, but some of circuitry of the pedal have been replaced with the same circuitry used by the original Ibanez Tube Screamers, which bring quite a price on eBay. You can find them already modded (like I did), or do it yourself if you're handy with a solder gun.

Have you ever tried removing the clipping diodes? Give a bit of overall volume boost, and lets you raise the gain without getting significant pedal clipping. Perfect for hitting an amp which is already cooking. (Not good for bedroom level OD into a clean amp though)

Sorry to hijack

Have you ever tried removing the clipping diodes? Give a bit of overall volume boost, and lets you raise the gain without getting significant pedal clipping. Perfect for hitting an amp which is already cooking. (Not good for bedroom level OD into a clean amp though)

Sorry to hijack

The beauty of the vox is it is so responsive to your right hand (or left hand if you left handed :} ). By simply playing harder you get more response out of the amp. I can't say enough about a treble booster either. I bought mine from www.phoenixcustomelectronics.com ( half the price of the exact pedal by some of the other manufacturers ) and guaranteed for life. What I love about this pedal is that it can be used as boost and an overdrive. So many people have also forgot the lost art of using the volume knob on your guitar to turn down too... don't forget this is your built in boost pedal!!!! Can't say enough about the treble booster.. you gotta try one! or a cusack screamer :}...................

Thanks guys. I went ahead and put in my bid for the Vox. Depending on how it sounds I may get the blue speakers myself and have them installed. I saw a web site offering them for 250 a pop, but how much should I expect for installation?

Also, I've been using a SS for the last 6 years so I am more than ready to move to tube these days.

Thanks guys. I went ahead and put in my bid for the Vox. Depending on how it sounds I may get the blue speakers myself and have them installed. I saw a web site offering them for 250 a pop, but how much should I expect for installation?

Also, I've been using a SS for the last 6 years so I am more than ready to move to tube these days.

You will love love love it when you make the switch. I wouldn't expect much for the speaker install. You can probably do it yourself. I'd help ya!

You will love love love it when you make the switch. I wouldn't expect much for the speaker install. You can probably do it yourself. I'd help ya!

Does it even require soldering? Switching the speakers if often really easy.

check out the carvin bel air (50 tube watts, 2x12) and the peavey classic 30 combo (also 2x12) amps. they're surprisingly awesome considering they both cost well under a grand. the carvin comes loaded with celestion vintage 30s.

check out the carvin bel air (50 tube watts, 2x12) and the peavey classic 30 combo (also 2x12) amps. they're surprisingly awesome considering they both cost well under a grand. the carvin comes loaded with celestion vintage 30s.

I've got a Peavey Classic 30, which is actually a 1 x 12 (the Classic 50 is a 2 x 12 50 watt model) and I absolutely love it. Great for almost all applications. I've used it in groups with two other guitarists using tube amps with slightly more wattage and never had a problem being loud enough. I was really skeptical about buying anything Peavey because my previous exposure to their products was during that horrible solid-state infested decade called the 80s, but I did a lot of research on small-ish, affordable tube amps. It comes with a Peavey "Blue Marvel" speaker, which I at first thought would be quickly replaced with a Celestion or something similar, but its performance quickly swayed me against doing that. The power tubes are EL-84s (also used in Vox AC-30s), and to me the sound is somewhere between an AC30 and a vintage Marshall. My only gripe is that the tubes are exposed in the back, and it's easy to snag the power cord between the tubes and pull them out of socket. I've taken mine on the road with me, and every time I would set up I would have to check to make sure the tubes were still in their sockets, and several times I would have to remove the tubes and straighten bent prongs. This problem has been rectified in newer models and in all Classic 50s with a panel that protects the tubes.

I've never heard the Carvin, but I know a musician who swears by his Carvin tube amp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Dammit I lost the auction, well thanks for the help anyway guys. I guess I'm going to either patiently wait for another deal or look at the options you suggested.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I just won a pair of Petra Nemcova's panties and a certificate of authenticity stating that they are real and were in fact worn by her and never washed. I know hearing that certainly made me feel better.

Has anyone heard the new Orange combos? I wasn't even aware that they still made amps, but I saw a 30 and a 50 watt combo at a music store the other day. They were very pricey; can't remember exactly how much, but it was certainly more than a new AC-30 is going for.

I'm in love with my Les Paul's new Seymour Duncan Phat Cat pickup. It makes the perfect mate for the Seymour '59 in the neck position.

Has anyone heard the new Orange combos? I wasn't even aware that they still made amps, but I saw a 30 and a 50 watt combo at a music store the other day. They were very pricey; can't remember exactly how much, but it was certainly more than a new AC-30 is going for.

If you are talking about the Orange AD-30TC, I've got one and love it. Can't help you with the Rockerverb, but word is they are more versatile. Pricewise, the AD-30TC is on par with a new AC-30 with the Celestion Blue speakers (about $1500-1600 new).

If you are talking about the Orange AD-30TC, I've got one and love it. Can't help you with the Rockerverb, but word is they are more versatile. Pricewise, the AD-30TC is on par with a new AC-30 with the Celestion Blue speakers (about $1500-1600 new).

Okay, I was thinking about the cheaper AC-30 that's going for about a grand. I played one live (cheaper AC-30, that is) about a month ago (club provided the backline) and I wasn't too impressed.

I had mentioned the Peavey Classic 30 earlier in this thread. Well, I played through a Classic 50 during a gig Sunday night and it's convinced me that I need to upgrade. The thing was just screaming, you know. It was just one of those gigs were everything seems to go right because the tone is so good. The other guitarists in the band were using a Fender Twin and a Mesa Boogie combo and neither one sounded as good as the Classic 50. It's something about the Peavey's gain structure that makes getting a good sound as simple as plugging in and turning up, as opposed to some of the weird gain structures you get into with Fenders and Mesa's that take a while to get used to.

Edited by BolivarBaLues
  • 2 weeks later...

if you're looking into orange amps, i'd strongly urge you to look into matamp first. that's the real orange amps, kinda like the heritage with gibson, matamp is the original players making amps without the name.

So, I just got my first tube amp...fender blues reissue. Excellent. Just wondering if it is normal for the tubes to get really damn hot. I touched one after about an hour of playing and burned the hell out of my finger!

So, I just got my first tube amp...fender blues reissue. Excellent. Just wondering if it is normal for the tubes to get really damn hot. I touched one after about an hour of playing and burned the hell out of my finger!

Hell yeah they'll get hot! That's how you want them! I always let my amp warm up for 30 minutes to an hour before a gig. You'll notice that as the tubes get hotter, the sound will become warmer and you'll hear harmonic overtones that weren't there before. It's almost like your amp starts talking back to you. One of the many beautiful things about tube amps!