Looking for the last Amp I will ever need

Hell yeah they'll get hot! That's how you want them! I always let my amp warm up for 30 minutes to an hour before a gig. You'll notice that as the tubes get hotter, the sound will become warmer and you'll hear harmonic overtones that weren't there before. It's almost like your amp starts talking back to you. One of the many beautiful things about tube amps!
Good advice on the warmup. I read my amp's manual and it said to leave it on standby for a minute before turning the power on. I guess letting it warm up longer is better (?). I also noticed that I have to turn it up LOUD to get any drive, so I think an overdrive pedal is in order. Better that than not having a place to sleep at night! After having my amp on and playing thorugh it for an hour or so, I definately noticed it sounded like butter, so I'll have to let it warm up longer before playing from now on. Thanks for the advice. :)
Good advice on the warmup. I read my amp's manual and it said to leave it on standby for a minute before turning the power on. I guess letting it warm up longer is better (?). I also noticed that I have to turn it up LOUD to get any drive, so I think an overdrive pedal is in order. Better that than not having a place to sleep at night! After having my amp on and playing thorugh it for an hour or so, I definately noticed it sounded like butter, so I'll have to let it warm up longer before playing from now on. Thanks for the advice. :)

Others might have different suggestions, but I think the best overdrive pedal option for a tube amp is a pedal from the vast family of TS-808 style derivatives. Many of these can be found here. The newer Ibanez Tube Screamers have different circuitry, but you can buy them already modded like I did with my TS9-DX Turbo Tube Screamer. The Keely mod is supposedly killer (has a true bypass), but I've never heard one. Other models based on the TS-808 circuitry include the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, which I also hear good things about. A band mate of mine uses one and he loves its ability to blend an overdriven sound with a clean sound. And it sounds really nice, too.

Like I said, there's surely other opinions out there, but I and many others believe that it's the best overdrive option going, both for its ability to push your tubes and also for the fact that the overdrive sound seems very natural and doesn't color the sound of your guitar.

Edited by BolivarBaLues
the overdrive sound seems very natural and doesn't color the sound of your guitar.

Actually tube screamer definitely color your sound as they boost the upper mids (which is a good thing for leads IMO) I have a Vox Valvetone, which is bascially a tube screamer, and I though it sounded brilliant a bedroom volumes.

you want to make sure to not touch your tubes with bare hands. the oils on your hands will cause the tubes to heat unevenly and burn sooner. it's not a big deal really, but like projector lamps, these things cost money and it's an easy thing to avoid. use a handkercheif or latex gloves when changing tubes.

you want to make sure to not touch your tubes with bare hands. the oils on your hands will cause the tubes to heat unevenly and burn sooner. it's not a big deal really, but like projector lamps, these things cost money and it's an easy thing to avoid. use a handkercheif or latex gloves when changing tubes.
Thanks for the advice. How long do tubes typically last with 5-10hrs of playing per week? Is there a good way to know when one has died? I imagine the sound would be different, but I don't think I'd know that a tube gone bad was the diagnosis.
i'd guess you've got a couple years on them at least with that much playing.

I'm not sure one can accurately make that kind of statement without knowing how hard the tubes are being pushed and how hot they are biased.

An AC30 played a stage volume 5-10 hours a week will require new tubes well before 2 years.

edit: that said, asusming most of aburhabi's playing is at home you're probably right. I'm just being nitpicky - sorry.

Edited by jhc