Who will win the World Cup in 2006?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the world Cup in 2006?

• Brazil
    • France
    • USA
    • Germany
    • England
    • Argentina
    • Holland
    • Italy
    • Spain
    • Ghana
  2. 2. How far will the US team make it?

• Won't make it into the round of 16
    • will lose in the round of 16
    • Will make it to Quarter finals but no futher
    • Will Make the Semi-Finals but Lose :(
    • Will make it to the Finals the furthest ever for an American Team only to lose and disappoint America
    • Will Win it ALL ( I Know Wishful Thinking)

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had Portugal from the very get-go because of one player: Christian Ronaldo. His dribbling skills as well as off-the-ball skills are so much fun to watch. Watching him in the last game was a joy, not to mention the way he manages to keep his cool even when he's clearly getting bulldozed because of the threat he poses on the pitch. I think he, alongside Figo, Sabrosa, and Postiga, will do a great job attacking while Ricardo stays reliable in goal. I can't wait to see it go down tomorrow! :hyper

Man, I'm still coming down off the high of seeing those goals at the death and not having to risk a heart-attack in PKs... :whew

that was an incredible game!!!!

two great goals within the span of two minutes. Italy deserved to win though - except for some of the second half, they controlled the play and had great opportunities. the defense is just class.

we had about 20 people watching the game at my brother's house, and we almost shattered windows with the sound of our celebration when they scored. my sister called me from italy after the game, and you could hear the chaos in the streets through the telephone.

Italy vs. France in the final.

WWII all over again!

I doubt France will be aggresive enough to beat the Italians, but I have no choice but to pull for them at this point. Italy has yet to be scored on (other than a own goal in their first game vs the US) and just don't see France stopping Italy's WC shut out. I don't think that Italy's keeper is that great but Italy controls the game way too well which will afford France few scoring opportunities.

I was absolutely devestated by the Germany loss. It was a pair of total legit nice goals and Italy outplayed them most the game, but I knew the only chance Germany had was to win it in the PKs because their goalie is much better in PK situation. Oh well.

The call on Rooney was a valid call. Portugal played him well keeping him angry and letting his temper take him and his squad outta the game. It was not a great call but he did deserve it. I had seen much less get red cards all tourney. England's lack of coaching was quite obvious through out the WC. It is very sad because they had one of the most talented squads out on the pitch. At least they will get rid of their coach now.

Guest Laminated Kat
nobody to root for here

Italy. France sucks.

I wish Maldini was still with them though. I loved him. :(

Edited by Laminated Kat
Guest Laminated Kat
The call on Rooney was a valid call. Portugal played him well keeping him angry and letting his temper take him and his squad outta the game. It was not a great call but he did deserve it.

Yellow card, he deserved a yellow. The red was excessive and complete bull shit.

Sorry, I'm more French than anything else. Le jour se leve!

flag.jpg

France will win -- they're the better team. Too bad they don't have Cisse, but they're strong enough up top without him.

After the U.S., England is the next team that I support -- but I had no problem with the Rooney red card. You think someone should just be given a yellow after stomping on someone's balls? Please. If that's not a straight red card, nothing is. The question, of course, is whether it was intentional, and based on the replay, I'd say yes. The ref only saw it in real time and he obviously had no doubt.

Has it been confimed that that's what he got the red card for? When I was watching it the ref didn't look like he was going to do anything until he pushed Ronaldo AFTER the alleged testicle stomping... which, to me, didn't look intentional.

France will win -- they're the better team. Too bad they don't have Cisse, but they're strong enough up top without him.

After the U.S., England is the next team that I support -- but I had no problem with the Rooney red card. You think someone should just be given a yellow after stomping on someone's balls? Please. If that's not a straight red card, nothing is. The question, of course, is whether it was intentional, and based on the replay, I'd say yes. The ref only saw it in real time and he obviously had no doubt.

Italy is much stronger in defense and in goal. and Pirlo in midfield is playing just as well as Zidane. France might have the edge up top with Henry. but it's as even a final as can be. i hope Italy wins it, but the french seem to have all the luck against them.

Has it been confimed that that's what he got the red card for? When I was watching it the ref didn't look like he was going to do anything until he pushed Ronaldo AFTER the alleged testicle stomping... which, to me, didn't look intentional.

It has yet to be confirmed to me that in this day and age, professional footballers with testicles are in the majority.

Yellow card, he deserved a yellow. The red was excessive and complete bull shit.

I see three incidents. First the foul in retaliation pulling down Ricardo Carvalho (no card needed for that just a foul), second the kick in the balls (Rooney may not have been trying to kick the dude specifically in the balls but he was kicking him on purpose with intention of harming Ricardo Carvalho . That deserved at least a yellow and likely a red card) and thirdly the shove of Cristiano Rolando (the ref still had not made his decision when Cristiano Rolando went in to talk shit to Rooney and when Rooney shoved him it was the last straw earning Rooney the Red card).

Rooney was trying to take the ball past two opponents and pushing and shoving was going on which lead to the kick in the balls and Cristiano Rolando talking shite to Rooney whenever he could was part of it to. I just can't see how this a bull shit call. He definitely deserved at least a yellow card and a red card was really not that excessive. It sucks that is how England went out but they never played great futbal all tourney. The match between Portugal was an even matched game but due to the lack of aggressiveness (other than Rooney) the English team didn't outplay a team they should have beat. I think the weak coaching and coaching strategy played a big part too. England being knocked out because of the red card is bull shit. It was multiple things that stopped them from advancing in the Tourney.

Guest Laminated Kat
He definitely deserved at least a yellow card and a red card was really not that excessive.

I still disagree.

From the close-up of his foot it looks intentional, but from a bit further back I'd say it wasn't. He had two of their players around him and he'd scrambled around on the floor to keep the ball twice, so his balance was poor - I think if you fall over on the floor in front of any player (especially Wayne Rooney) in that sort of situation you are going to get your leg trodden on, or in this case your balls stomped! Rooney is like most other footballers, and is unable to hold his tongue at times and keep his temper checked, and that's why he got a card. To be honest, we played better with 10 men, so by all accounts it was to our benefit, but that's the way things go. The refs this tournament have been no worse than in the past - It amazes me that their role should actually be to keep the game from getting out of hand and almost be invisible within the game (which is what most good refs are), but there are more refs in world cup situations that turn a game on its head from nothing than there are match-changing players. Go figure. I'm on Italy to win. Both sides are my least favourite international teams in the world, but France with their idiot goalie just tip the scales in favour of Italy.

I see three incidents. First the foul in retaliation pulling down Ricardo Carvalho (no card needed for that just a foul), second the kick in the balls (Rooney may not have been trying to kick the dude specifically in the balls but he was kicking him on purpose with intention of harming Ricardo Carvalho . That deserved at least a yellow and likely a red card) and thirdly the shove of Cristiano Rolando (the ref still had not made his decision when Cristiano Rolando went in to talk shit to Rooney and when Rooney shoved him it was the last straw earning Rooney the Red card).

If that were the case then normally (and the way it should be done) is that the ref would have instantly shown a yellow, then he would have shown another yellow for the push on Ronaldo, then a red because he had given to yellows. That's the way it should have gone.

Here is what Ronaldo said about the incident:

"People will say that the referee gave the red card because I spoke with him. This is not true. I spoke with him to say it was a foul, but I only said it was a foul, not a red card," said Ronaldo.

"I think the English press will say Rooney was sent off because of me but it is not true."

If he spoke with him to say it was a foul, why exactly did he bother when the ref had already signalled a foul. I smell a rat.