Who will win the World Cup in 2006?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the world Cup in 2006?

• Brazil
    • France
    • USA
    • Germany
    • England
    • Argentina
    • Holland
    • Italy
    • Spain
    • Ghana
  2. 2. How far will the US team make it?

• Won't make it into the round of 16
    • will lose in the round of 16
    • Will make it to Quarter finals but no futher
    • Will Make the Semi-Finals but Lose :(
    • Will make it to the Finals the furthest ever for an American Team only to lose and disappoint America
    • Will Win it ALL ( I Know Wishful Thinking)

Seriously, even though there's little chance the U.S. can win this thing, can you imagine if we actually did?

No joke, it would set world relations with the U.S. and the rest of the world back by a mile. Particularly Europe, the hate that they have for us would go up TEN-FOLD.

I think if America won the World Cup people would far from hate them for doing it. I actually think that people would be shocked that an under-dog side won it, and would be happy for them. Well I would, and I am an English man, and the English love the under-dog. It's only if they won it by changing the rules to suit them and moved the goal-posts every five minutes that people would get pissed about it, or if they won it every time in the past and never looked like giving the other sides a chance.

Fortunately after seeing the last two games (and England will have to face one of those 4 teams in the second round if they get through), I'd say that none of them looked up to much. They were all over the place in defence and a good side would tear them apart. Fring's goal looked pretty special, but those sorts of goals are often more luck than skill, as 9 times out of 10 a shot like that would have ended up in the crowd. Lahm's first goal was far more impressive, but doing that against Costa Rica is going to easier than doing it against a better side.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Da Czechs will pulverize the USA team on the 12th...........

I doubt it. I'm expecting the Czechs to win, but probably only by one goal. I think the Yanks have an excellent chance of stealing a point.

Plus ... remember Portugal in '02? The U.S. may just surprise everyone in that first match.

Suck it, Paredes. But what's up with England? Pretty unimpressive, IMO. :yawn

The first half we were good. Kept possession well, which in 30 degree temperatures that the team isn't used to, was the right thing to do: let the ball do the work so you don't have to.

Second half we lost the impetus and handed the initiative over to Paraguay who, despite what our BBC commentators would have you believe, never really threatened at all.

The game was dull. But, heck, I'll take 1-0 wins in every time this tournament.

The first half we were good. Kept possession well, which in 30 degree temperatures that the team isn't used to, was the right thing to do: let the ball do the work so you don't have to.

Second half we lost the impetus and handed the initiative over to Paraguay who, despite what our BBC commentators would have you believe, never really threatened at all.

The game was dull. But, heck, I'll take 1-0 wins in every time this tournament.

Exactly, the only really negative thing I would take from the game was Sven's lack of ability to read the state of the game. His sub decisions made no sense to me what-so-ever, but maybe he'll sort himself out in the future.

Mexico v Iran was a good game!

Guest Laminated Kat
Suck it, Paredes. But what's up with England? Pretty unimpressive, IMO. :yawn

Hey, they got the 3 points! And Sweden comes out with a tie....hahahahahahahahaha. This could work out very nicely for my boys.

Just in case anyone missed it, here's a little Ricky Gervais short filmed for the World Cup and aired on the BBC before the Paraguay game, in which Stephen Merchant attempts the Peter Crouch dance.

Mind you that wasn't as funny as the sight of an obviously pissed (in the British sense of the phrase) Freddie Flintoff slurring and trying to hold it together whilst being interviewed before the England vs Paraguay game.

Just in case anyone missed it, here's a little Ricky Gervais short filmed for the World Cup and aired on the BBC before the Paraguay game, in which Stephen Merchant attempts the Peter Crouch dance.

Mind you that wasn't as funny as the sight of an obviously pissed (in the British sense of the phrase) Freddie Flintoff slurring and trying to hold it together whilst being interviewed before the England vs Paraguay game.

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!

I have decided that every lunch for the next month I will be taking out of the office to catch the second half of World Cup action.

I am loving this tourney so far and it has just started!!!!

The England Goal was awesome!!!

I thought the Holland v S & M (copyright BBC pundits) was a stonker and the Argentina v Ivory Coast was a belter too.
No entry found for stonker.

No entry found for belter.

something is either stonkingly good or is said to be a stonker . . . you know, like a belter. it's english, but not as you american's know it.

:lol So your definition of "stonker" is "see: 'belter'"?

I'm still not clear as to whether this is good or bad. :stunned

edit: OK, I'm straightened out now.

stonker

belter

:lol So your definition of "stonker" is "see: 'belter'"?

I'm still not clear as to whether this is good or bad. :stunned

Good thing i.e action packed/ferocious/enjoyable/memorable.

Belter usually used in phrase: 'a real belter'.

Good thing i.e action packed/ferocious/enjoyable/memorable.

Belter usually used in phrase: 'a real belter'.

I really need to move back to England. I'm way behind the times on my British slang. :hmm

I really need to move back to England. I'm way behind the times on my British slang. :hmm

It's not really modern slang, more like the sort of thing you might hear coming from the lips of a 1940's barrow-boy. I mean you wouldn't catch a modern-day chav or a jikey saying it, for instance. Although, it's worth baring in mind that Rich is Welsh.

So I've read that the Czechs are nursing several injuries. Do you suppose the Yanks have a chance today?

That is, a better chance than they did already? (I already picked them to draw.)

So I've read that the Czechs are nursing several injuries. Do you suppose the Yanks have a chance today?

That is, a better chance than they did already? (I already picked them to draw.)

Wouldn't the Yanks be favourites given that they're currently ranked 4th best team in the world?

That said, I still think the Czech's will win - purely because I've tipped them to do well.

Unfortunately, I said the same about Australia and they're currently losing to Japan. Bah!

At least my predicted winners - Argentina - kicked off in fine style, and they didn't even play Lionel Messi!