Who will win the World Cup in 2006?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the world Cup in 2006?

• Brazil
    • France
    • USA
    • Germany
    • England
    • Argentina
    • Holland
    • Italy
    • Spain
    • Ghana
  2. 2. How far will the US team make it?

• Won't make it into the round of 16
    • will lose in the round of 16
    • Will make it to Quarter finals but no futher
    • Will Make the Semi-Finals but Lose :(
    • Will make it to the Finals the furthest ever for an American Team only to lose and disappoint America
    • Will Win it ALL ( I Know Wishful Thinking)

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're forgetting that the Czechs are ranked 2nd.

The U.S. is 5th in the latest FIFA rankings.

Ooops, oh yeah! I knew there had to be a reason I thought they'd do alright.

I know they're without Vladimir Smicer, who was hopeless - mostly - at Liverpool but who does really well when playing for the national team. In fact both of the games tonight look like good ones.

I'm supporting Ghana tonight - my colleague is from there, and we'd all like to see Italy stumble in the group stages.

Edited by m_thomp
Guest Laminated Kat
Without a doubt the prettiest male athlete in the world.

He's pretty to look at, yes. But my god does he have a beautiful stroke on the soccer ball. He executes with such precision.

Latest News: Australia v Japan 1-1. Looks like Mark might still be in with a chance with his Australian backing. 5 minutes of normal time to play.

Bugger, I could have been watching this on the intranet. Starting up small window on PC now!

Good timing. "Australians celebrate as only Australians can! They've come from behind!" :omg

Make that 2-1 to Australia now! damn.

SHIT! 3-1 now. this is exciting.

My Jaw is totally on my desk. I can not wait to get home and watch this!!!!!!!!! :bounce8

My Jaw is totally on my desk. I can not wait to get home and watch this!!!!!!!!! :bounce8

the end was certainly very exciting. i've just realised i've probably spoilt the game for a lot of people. what's the deal with real-time reports? should it be allowed, or better left until everyone has seen the game?

Eriksson mulling shock Rooney return for Trinidad clash

by Rob Woollard

June 12, 2006

BADEN-BADEN (AFP) - England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson is poised to unleash Wayne Rooney upon Trinidad and Tobago on Thursday as his team seeks to wrap up qualification from Group B.

The Manchester United star has impressed in training after returning from injury and is now set to make an appearance from the substitutes bench against the 'Soca Warriors' in Nuremberg.

The 20-year-old's absence was keenly felt in England's drab 1-0 victory over Paraguay on Saturday, where chants of 'Rooney, Rooney' echoed around Frankfurt's Waldstadion towards the end of a lacklustre match.

Eriksson was cautious about the prospect of a swift return for Rooney.

"We have to decide on Rooney day by day, to be honest," Eriksson said after the Paraguay victory. "I'm very optimistic, always. I will change something in the team if we have some problems."

Results of a scan last week showed that the fracture in Rooney's right foot had healed. England's coaches say the only issue now preventing the player's return is his match fitness.

Any appearance by Rooney during the group stages will infuriate Sir Alex Ferguson, who believes Eriksson has gone back on an agreement to wait until the second round before using the player.

But Eriksson has made it clear that he will not bow to pressure from United over the use of their star player.

Rooney's chance could come sooner than expected after Theo Walcott picked up a minor injury during a post-match five-a-side on Saturday that left the teenager needing strapping to a sore calf.

Ironically, Walcott picked up the knock courtesy of a clattering tackle by Rooney. "Theo has a slight knock and it has been strapped up for compression purposes," the FA confirmed.

"It's precautionary and after a day off on Monday he will take part in our next training session on Tuesday."

Walcott's knock in theory leaves England with only one fully fit striker, Peter Crouch, following Eriksson's decision to include only four forwards in his 23-man squad for Germany.

Michael Owen, who missed most of the Premiership season after breaking his foot on New Year's Eve, looked desperately short of match sharpness against Paraguay and was replaced after 53 minutes.

"I'm sure Michael Owen will get better and better," Eriksson said.

Eriksson said Owen's substitution for Stewart Downing that saw Joe Cole shifted into a central role was tactical but the switch was sharply criticised by former England captain Alan Shearer.

Shearer, now working as a pundit for Britain's BBC television, described the decision to replace Owen as "unbelievable".

"Sven brought Theo Walcott as a centre-forward but when he took Michael Owen off and put Joe Cole in Michael's place, Walcott must have been on the bench thinking: 'There's a midfielder in my position'.

"Eriksson probably doesn't think he's ready at this moment in time, but if that's the case, why take him in the first place?"

Former England coach Sir Bobby Robson also admitted to being baffled by Owen's substitution. "I assumed at first that Owen was injured when he went off ... I couldn't believe it when I discovered it was tactical," he said.

Former Scotland international Alan Hansen blasted Eriksson's tactical tinkering as 'appalling', and said England were paying for the decision not to include Tottenham's Jermain Defoe as a fifth forward.

"It all goes back to this issue of not taking Jermain Defoe," said Hansen. "If you're taking Michael Owen off it should be like for like - off goes Owen and on comes Defoe."

Defoe meanwhile has denied weekend reports that quoted him criticising Eriksson's decision to send him back to Britain.

"It's a strange one. I am still trying to understand it. It's a strange decision and everybody I speak to thinks so as well," Defoe was quoted as saying. Defoe's representatives said he had not spoken to any media, however.

I think it's safe to post scores in this thread. If you don't want to know, don't read this one.

I hope I get a chance to see a rebroadcast of the end of the Japan-Australia match. Three goals in eight minutes at the end! Holy shit! :blink

the end was certainly very exciting. i've just realised i've probably spoilt the game for a lot of people. what's the deal with real-time reports? should it be allowed, or better left until everyone has seen the game?

Since I started it and have been PMed about it already. In this Thread Allowed!!!!!!

Guest Laminated Kat
Shearer, now working as a pundit for Britain's BBC television, described the decision to replace Owen as "unbelievable".

Fucking best striker ever. I miss him.

Good news re: Rooney.

I wanted to ask what the deal is with TV coverage in the US. Are there cable/subscription channels that will show you 45 minutes uninterrupted, or will they try to slip in a quick advert during an injury etc.? Given the choice, I won't wach ITV because they have adverts either side of the half-time pundits analysis. I couldn't cope with being a sports fan in the US. Is that the basic reason why football will never be big bucks in the US?

Fucking best striker ever.

Err ... :pirate

I wanted to ask what the deal is with TV coverage in the US. Are there cable/subscription channels that will show you 45 minutes uninterrupted, or will they try to slip in a quick advert during an injury etc.? Given the choice, I won't wach ITV because they have adverts either side of the half-time pundits analysis. I couldn't cope with being a sports fan in the US. Is that the basic reason why football will never be big bucks in the US?

Err ... :pirate

Commercial free over the weekend on ABC, I assume ESPN will also be commercial free.

We've had commercial-free football here for years. Yes, there are tons of ads before and after the game and during halftime, but aside from that we just have to endure a logo in the corner of the screen and an occasional mention from one of the announcers (something along the lines of "this portion of today's match is brought to you commercial-free by Budweiser," which itself is a commercial, but it's tolerable).

Guest Laminated Kat

No adverts accept during the "half time report" on ABC. I put quotes around "half time report" intentionally. What a load of crap. Horrible coverage and I don't like the commentary on ABC at all. There is a very anti England/anti Beckham vibe going and it pisses me off. It was much better last World Cup.

Guest Laminated Kat
JeterBeckham is overrated.

:lol

But even if that were true, no reason for what's his ass, former US player, to bad mouth him while commentating. Come on.

(Jeter's got nothing on Beckham but then I hate the Yankees)

We've had commercial-free football here for years. Yes, there are tons of ads before and after the game and during halftime, but aside from that we just have to endure a logo in the corner of the screen and an occasional mention from one of the announcers (something along the lines of "this portion of today's match is brought to you commercial-free by Budweiser," which itself is a commercial, but it's tolerable).

We do get screwed by getting hardly any highlights during halftime mainly the same few commericals.

Guest ScottHoward

Mexico v. Iran was my favorite match of the weekend. Exciting stuff. The last goal, glanced off the forehead of one of the Mexicans on a perfect cross, was beautiful.

Guest Laminated Kat
Glad you can enjoy it properly :cheers Maybe it helps that it's not prime time with the time difference.

I suppose if you have never lived in England the coverage would seem ok. WITHIK is right though, the halftime report consists of commercials adverts. I'll be going to the Fox and Hounds to watch the England match on Thursday. At least I get some quasi football atmosphere there.

We do get screwed by getting hardly any highlights during halftime mainly the same few commericals.

Yes. This is infuriating. They won't even show all the goals from the first half (assuming there were any). After the match, we again are deprived of goal replays.

This is not unique to the current World Cup coverage. For some reason, American telecasts seem to always screw this up.