Who will win the World Cup in 2006?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the world Cup in 2006?

• Brazil
    • France
    • USA
    • Germany
    • England
    • Argentina
    • Holland
    • Italy
    • Spain
    • Ghana
  2. 2. How far will the US team make it?

• Won't make it into the round of 16
    • will lose in the round of 16
    • Will make it to Quarter finals but no futher
    • Will Make the Semi-Finals but Lose :(
    • Will make it to the Finals the furthest ever for an American Team only to lose and disappoint America
    • Will Win it ALL ( I Know Wishful Thinking)

Yes. This is infuriating. They won't even show all the goals from the first half (assuming there were any). After the match, we again are deprived of goal replays.

This is not unique to the current World Cup coverage. For some reason, American telecasts seem to always screw this up.

This is the #1 reason I old skool Tivo every match.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose if you have never lived in England the coverage would seem ok. WITHIK is right though, the halftime report consists of commercials adverts. I'll be going to the Fox and Hounds to watch the England match on Thursday. At least I get some quasi football atmosphere there.

adverts :thumbup

You quasi quasi wabbit!

Guest Laminated Kat
Err ... :pirate

You don't like Shearer? I thought he was good. I am remebering him from Euro Cup '96 which was quite some time ago.

adverts :thumbup

You quasi quasi wabbit!

I've lost it. All of my English lingo has gone in the "bin".

This is the #1 reason I old skool Tivo every match.

Tivo = old skool? :ermm

old skool Tivo=VHS :lol

It was a marketing scam me and a friend came up with while drinking.

You don't like Shearer? I thought he was good. I am remebering him from Euro Cup '96 which was quite some time ago.

OK - bit of a one trick pony - good heart, but not so skilful for me. Just the 'of all time' tag got me thinking: Pele, Muller, Cruyff, etc etc Before your time I suppose. The first match I can remember (just) was the final with Brazil in 1970, and running around outside pretending to be players from that team.

737435092.jpg

Now that was a thing of beauty. Dutch total football from the 70's.

I knew the Aussies would come good. That's the second of my three tips - eventually - coming through. Just need the Czechs to do the business on the pitch now - and that is a different 'doing the business on the pitch' to what I expect the food-poisoning stricken Croats to do. :barf

I believe Tim Cahill did the damage for Australia.... can't believe he didn't start! He's been in sensational form all season for Everton.

Edited by m_thomp
Guest Laminated Kat
OK - bit of a one trick pony - good heart, but not so skilful for me. Just the 'of all time' tag got me thinking: Pele, Muller, Cruyff, etc etc Before your time I suppose. The first match I can remember (just) was the final with Brazil in 1970, and running around outside pretending to be players from that team.

737435092.jpg

:lol Nice.

I suppose saying "ever" was over stating it a bit. :blush

737435092.jpg

I always had to be Marco Van Basten when I played football up against the wall, or headers & volleys. Did anyone else use to play wall football, where you were only allowed one touch and you had to hit the wall from where the ball ended up or you lost a life (3 lives and lost and your out). Or headers & volleys, where you could only score off a header or volley, and if the goal keeper caugt it or it went wide you had to go in goal - and there were always cowards who never shot because they didn't want to go in goal. Oh, jumpers for goal posts . . isn't it!

I always had to be Marco Van Basten when I played football up against the wall, or headers & volleys. Did anyone else use to play wall football, where you were only allowed one touch and you had to hit the wall from where the ball ended up or you lost a life (3 lives and lost and your out). Or headers & volleys, where you could only score off a header or volley, and if the goal keeper caugt it or it went wide you had to go in goal - and there were always cowards who never shot because they didn't want to go in goal. Oh, jumpers for goal posts . . isn't it!

Yeah - actually we still play headers & volleys whilst we warm up for 5-a-side football, it's just a shame my volleys would be better for rugby conversions than football goals :D

Did anyone else use to play wall football, where you were only allowed one touch and you had to hit the wall from where ever the ball ended up or you lost a life. ... Oh, jumpers for goal posts . . isn't it!

Oh yes. And when there was an odd number or low number of kids the question was always "Goalie when or goalie stuff?"

Goalie when - goalie could come out and play outfield

Goalie stuff - goalie had to stay in his area

Why when and stuff I have no idea.

We played that. It was called, wait for it, 'Walley' but then again I'm Northern and therefore backward.

We also played a football headers and volleys related game called 'Shitbag' but you don't want me to go into the rules of that.

Do you?

Oh yes. And when there was an odd number or low number of kids the question was always "Goalie when or goalie stuff?"

That was called Rush Goalie were I grew up, that makes more sense than Goalie When.

Never played either of those. My brother and I used to play a soccer version of racquetball that we made up -- basically, find an empty racquetball court and play with a soccer ball, allowing two bounces between plays instead of one. You can touch the ball as many times as you want on each play (so juggling is a useful skill).

There were more rules, but this was about fifteen years ago so I don't remember them any more. For instance, I seem to recall some rules to prevent juggling the ball up to the wall and dumping it there, but damned if I can remember what they were.

We called it 'rush Goalie' when he could come out of goal. When we played it like that, rush goalie was an interchangeable position and was usually the nearest person to the goal - typically the least fit footballer and therefore the brunt of the blame for any goal and object of abuse.

We played that. It was called, wait for it, 'Walley' but then again I'm Northern and therefore backward.

We also played a football headers and volleys related game called 'Shitbag' but you don't want me to go into the rules of that.

Do you?

Yes, go into details. Unless of course it really is scatological, then you can keep your sordid past to yourself.

Yes, go into details. Unless of course it really is scatalogical, then you can keep your sordid past to yourself.

Basically it's the same as typical Headers and Volleys. But when anyone went in goal they also obtained an imaginary letter 'S', the next time they went in they got a 'H' and on, and on, up until the first person to go in goal enough times to spell out the word 'Shitbag'.

At this point that person would have to drop their trousers, run round the football field declaring at the top of their voice, "I'm a dirty shitbag!"

It's called character building I believe. Certainly helped improve my shooting accuracy.

At this point that person would have to drop their trousers, run round the football field declaring at the top of their voice, "I'm a dirty shitbag!"

:rotfl

Sounds like you had a career as a PE teacher all mapped out in front of you. Where did it all go wrong?

Now to get my little popup window ready for the USA/Czechs.

Basically it's the same as typical Headers and Volleys. But when anyone went in goal they also obtained an imaginary letter 'S', the next time they went in they got a 'H' and on, and on, up until the first person to go in goal enough times to spell out the word 'Shitbag'.

It's called character building I believe. Certainly helped improve my shooting accuracy.

That whole thing kind of rings a bell, the having to spell out Shitbag, but I think we played it with the wall football game. I can't remember having to drop my trousers when I lost though, although maybe a couple of sessions with a psychologist would unleash a few deep hidden memories of that sort of childhood humiliation that I've tried to forget!

kes2.jpg

Absolutely classic scene. I did do PGCE teacher training fo a year with sports as a subsidiary. They showed that as a 'how not to do it'. The kid hanging upside down from the crossbar and trying to keep his hands warm with the fat kid as the goal goes in. We also had the skanky pair of shorts that the PE teacher would provide for anyone who had forgotten their kit.

We had teachers playing rugby like that - scoring tries as little kids dangled off their legs trying to tackle them.