I don't know how many of you cats are PTA members, or even visit it from time to time, but it's desperately in need of Wilco transcriptions. As of now, I seem to be the only person working on any powertabs to submit. In fact, the archive only has one Wilco piece, and that's my transcription of Venus Stopped the Train. So, I have come to you asking that you show your support by submitting any and all transcriptions you have to the PTA. If you're not familiar with the guidelines for submitting, or even on how to create a polished piece, feel free to email me or PM me here on the board. Anyway, thanks so much.

P.S. At the moment, if anyone has a fairly polished version of At Least That's What You Said, Ashes of American Flags, A Magazine Called Sunset, I'm A Wheel, or What's The World Got In Store in powertab format, email me and let's try to compare notes and get these things up on the archive.

Edited by groselicain

Why would the Parent Teacher Association need Wilco tabs? Are those like box tops or Campbell soup can labels? Some kind fo crazy fundraiser? Can't you just make the kids sell candy or something? My mom used to just hit up her bowling team to buy candy bars or overpriced wrapping paper and such.

dcd

Powertab is a super user-friendly program that allows you to create professional looking sheet music using your computer keyboard. It's free to download, takes up almost no space, and includes no spyware or viruses if you're scared about that kind of thing. A lot of people are using it nowadays. You can use it to print sheet music, export ASCII files, HTML files, or even MIDIs of you composition. I use it to archive my band's songs so we don't forget stuff that we don't practice every week.

As far as the PTA, it's the official Powertab archive. Members can submit pieces to be approved by other members, and the pieces will be stored for other people to use for learning purposes. It's not like tab websites, in that you're dealing with a much higher quality, and the tabber is required to submit the whole song, not just a riff or two.

Cool - I checked it out - looks real fancy ;)

But does that man you can't just write out chord names - every single thing has to be in tab format?

Well, I mean, aside from a strummed part of a song, nothing is just chords. That's not to say that you can't just put chord slashes in your transcription. Say you were doing How to Fight Loneliness. Jeff's opening acoustic part--that is, the strumming-- could just be written as rhythm slashes. But, there are several other parts to the song.

Was that what you wanted to know or did I misread your question?

Here's an example of the way I do almost all of my transcriptions, if it'll help.

http://www.powertabs.net/tablature-4711/ta...-22523-1423.ptb

Edited by groselicain

Got it. Frankly, I'm often too lazy to tab out every little note, even though there might be little variations one can do on a given chord.

Anyway, looks like you have a nice transcription of Ashes :) I'd suggest the following change though:

G Bm Em Em#7 A/C# = chords on the "all my lies..." section. I usually play them as arpreggios using the barre chord shapes for the G and Bm

---3-----------2---------0---------0--------0-

-----3-----------3---------0---------0------2-

-------4-----------4---------0---------0----2-

--5----------4---------2---------1----------2--

----------------------------------------------4---

----------------------------------------------

Oh yeah, I haven't started Jay's guitar part yet. I was just giving you an idea. But thanks for the suggestion. Anything else you want to add would be helpful.

Everything else looked pretty good to me.

Dude! I am so excited. I love love love Power Tabs and I've always been pissed off with the complete lack of Wilco in the archive. I'd love to help you but my ears aren't sooo good. However, I know lots and lots of music theory if you need any help with the staff and things like that.

p.s. great Venus tab!

Hey Halcyon, thanks so much! Any help I get will be great. Also, thanks for looking at my Venus work. It took a while because, as anyone who has tried to transcribe Wilco knows, the progressions never seem logical. But, again, thanks!

Question!: Are you planning on arranging the banjo in What's The World Got In Store for guitar or leaving it as banjo? I ask because I've always wanted to play that song on my banjo.

Answer: Depends on whether or not that intro is a banjo. When I run my acoustic through an amp, it has the exact tone and timbre of the instrument on that song. I initially thought it was a banjo myself, but this has raised questions. Has anyone seen the song performed live? Is it a banjo or a guitar? If it's a banjo, it'll be arranged for banjo.

That's interesting. Hmm, it could possibly be some sort of guitar/banjo (by that I mean those banjos with guitar necks) maybe? To me it's always sounded like a banjo so I never questioned it.

You might be on to something. I noticed a few months back that Dean makes one of those. But who knows... As for now, I've been using the steel string acoustic and banjo MIDI patches to emulate the sound, and I have it arranged for guitar. It wouldn't be hard to change, though. Do you play a five or four string?

It could also be a dobro flatpicked like a guitar. I'm fairly sure that the Being There version of either Someday Soon or Forget The Flowers has a dobro played like that.

Very good thinking. I'd say you might be dead-on, because I think that sound, or flavor, of muted string is coming from a weird bridge, and a dobro makes that same sound flat picked.

• 2 weeks later...