• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maker's Mark!

Precisely. I don't enjoy beverages served warm, save for tea, coffee, etc. and even then I like it hot. A cold Guinness for me, please.

I've been drinking these this summer for the first time and really enjoy them. I went to a nice bar around the corner for the first time last week and they have it on tap. They won me over as a repeat customer with this alone:

55840604.jpg

Ahh, Full Sail. We visited the Full Sail Brewery in Hood River, Oregon last summer---what a cool place. On a hot summer day you can sit on the outdoor patio overlooking the river, put down down pints of Pale or Sessions stubbies and watch the (literally) dozens of sailboarders do their thing. The brewery itself is pretty much centered around two things: beer and windsurfing/sailboarding. Nice people running the place, too.

Alaskan Winter Ale

Style:

English Olde Ale. Traditionally malty with the warming sensation of alcohol, Olde Ales are brewed in the fall as winter warmers.

Flavor Profile:

Brewed in the style of an English Olde Ale, this ale balances the sweet heady aroma of spruce tips with the clean crisp finish of noble hops. Its malty richness is complemented by the warming sensation of alcohol.

History:

From the seafaring adventurers of the 1700s to the homebrewers of today, adding spruce tips to beer has a rich history in Southeast Alaska. The tender new growth of Sitka spruce tips lends a delicious, yet subtly sweet floral aroma to tea, jelly and now Alaskan Winter Ale.

Ingredients:

Water, malt, hops and yeast with no adjuncts, no preservatives and no pasteurization. Our glacier-fed water originates in the 1,500-square-mile Juneau Ice Field. A complex blend of six malts including Pale, Wheat, Munich and caramelized malts. Prized Czechoslovakian Saaz hops and Sitka spruce tips.

Recommendations:

Perfect winter warmer by the fireside or an accompaniment to holiday fare. Serve with roast goose, turkey, ham or lamb. A nice complement to holiday breads pound cake, or apple pie.

Specifications:

Original Gravity: 1.066, ABW 5.12%, ABV 6.4%, Bitterness: 27 IBU, Color: 17 SRM

Stone Ruination I.P.A.--the Cadillac of IPAs :beer

(Dogfish Head 90's are the Rolls Royce of IPAs...imo :D )

Please, please, please...if you live in SoCal and love beer...try the double IPA entitled "Hopjuice" by Leftcoast Brewing Co. They brew for Oggi's and Padres/Chargers. Seriously, the shit's too good. Quite possibly the best American beer I've ever had. It just recently won a bronze medal at the Great American Beer Festival. Be careful though, it's a 9% alcohol content and will 'F' you up really quick without you knowing it.

:beer = :w00t