Liars, The Apes, Deer Hunter

This was my first time to see a show at the opolis, a tiny concert venue owned and operated by Norman's own Starlight Mints. The crowd was small and I was glad because it was quite easy to get right up front and interact with the bands.

Deer Hunter kicked things off with a high energy, straight forward rocking set. It was good, but the vocals were almost completely drowned out by their loudness. Their frontman seemed to be pretty drugged up as well. I liked them though.

Next up were The Apes. (I had never heard them before and was curious because before the show, while sitting out on the patio at a restaurant around the corner, I was eyeing this cute girl sitting alone with her laptop on a bench. I had an exta ticket and was going to offer it to her. But she ended up approaching my friends and I and introduced herself as one of the band members. Anyway, she's a really cool, smart and beautiful woman.) Their set rocked! They were so full of energy and you could just tell they were into it. Their set lasted about 45 minutes and I was bummed that it ended because I was smiling largely as were most of the crowd. Their music is somewhat experimental but almost more punk. I recommend this band to anyone into high energy, experimental indie rock.

Liars were the headliners and definitely the strangest of the three bands. Frontman Angus Andrews was particularly strange. He was in his own world thoughout the set. I enjoyed them quite a bit with their drum attack and, at times, dualing guitard with crazy effects. Their set was about an our long and my ears were ringing from the loudness of all three bands. (note to self: invest in earplugs)

All in all it was a fantastic evening. I would recommend seeing these bands on their extensive tour going on right now. Tell Amanda (The Apes) that Jeff from Oklahoma sent you. She'll love me more for it. :D

was the lead singer still using a cane? last time I saw them, he had injured his foot

Nope. They have a new singer. Guys name is Breck and he's totally cool. I thought he sounded a bit like Ian Mackaye. :rock He told me it's a D.C. thing.

the Apes are fucking awesome!

yes they are.

haven't seen them in a number of years, but have always loved the shows i've seen.

remind me of Sabbath meets Iron Butterfly only a bit more punk

I like the Opolis. Saw Spoon there. Starlight Mints too. They've had some impressive bands for how small it is - 150 capacity?

Yeah, tiny little joint. There were probably 100 or so there. My friends Kunek play there sometimes but I never make the trek from Stillwater. I would love to see more shows there but I'm moving out west next month. Maybe when I come back to visit.