Pearl Jam/My Morning Jacket

I was psyched when I got tickets to this show as this is the first time I can remember Pearl Jam not selling out their entire tour in under a minute. My motivation to shell out the $50 was 1/3 liking the band's music, 1/3 the cultural legacy and 1/3 MMJ as the opener. I'm definitely not familiar with the band's entire catalogue but I was 14 when Ten dropped so the band's imprint is clearly marked upon my brain.

You can see the setlist here. What's missing is what I thought was the highlight of the show and MMJ's opening set:

Vedder came out with his electric guitar right before MMJ went on and delivered as intimate a rendition of "You Will Throw Your Arms Around Me" as one can in the Camden Tweeter Center. He then stuck around to trade verses with Jim James on The Band's It Makes No Difference before leaving MMJ to the rest of their set, which included: What a Wonderful Man, Off the Record, Anytime, Lay Low, O and One Big Holiday.

As for the main event, I was impressed not only by Pearl Jam's enthusiasm and Vedder's seemingly bottomless well of sincere intensity but also by how many people were at the show who must have been in Kindergarten when Ten came out. I thought going in the crowd would mostly be aging 90s fratboys and a few curious kids with their fingers crossed hoping they hadn't spent $50 on a band that's already made the jump to nostalgia act. But, unsuccessful crowd-surfers and meek mosh-pits aside, I was happily surprised to find that Pearl Jam still has cred with the kiddies. They've managed to keep their integrity over the years and I'm sure that helps.

For me, MMJ and the Band and Who covers made the show worth the price of admission but seeing one of America's greatest rock bands continue to pour their heart out to their diehard fans was terrific. Good times.

I think I would seriously consider paying $50 just to hear MMJ doing "It Makes No difference." It's one of my top three songs by The Band and MMJ are a serious force live. Thanks for the review, Greg

Great show, and easily the best of the several I've seen this tour. Just a ridiculous treat for a double bill.

Whats up Ro.....PJ is not coming to Sunny South Florida.......MMJ not coming either......