Nels Cline solo and not (i.e., Jon Brion)

This post is dedicated to Dreamin' and ms yvon. :wub

Back in April or so, Nels's site listed this show as the latest in his series of improv nights with Jon Brion. Alas, Jon has developed tendinitis, and this show was changed to reflect that. Still, we held on to the tiny bit of faith afforded by the "Nels Cline solo and not" announcement on Largo's calendar. We couldn't admit it too loudly at the time, for fear of jinxing it, but of course, we secretly wished for a Jon Brion appearance--his first known gig since April 7, before the tendinitis really kicked in. Well, I don't know how we got so lucky, but Jon showed up and sang on three songs in Nels's second set, composed entirely of "off the beaten track" Neil Young tracks. His tendinitis hasn't left him, so he didn't play an instrument, but apparently, he's set for Intonation. :w00t

It was just a great night overall. Nels opened with a characteristically modest caveat about how weird the set would be, but the crowd was very supportive and grateful, I think. His choice of covers was unexpected, and he even sang--perhaps a testament to the relaxed, accepting atmosphere of Largo. The second set, without a doubt, kicked all sorts of ass. :rock

I love LA. :D

Set 1 (Nels Cline solo)

Look Through My Window [Mamas & Papas]

Tom Violence [sonic Youth]

I Hate Myself for Loving You [Joan Jett]

I Got No Answers [Joan Jett]

Little Argument with Myself [Low]

Set 2 (and not)

featuring Mad Cow, the backing band

Hippie Dream

Running Dry (Requiem for the Rockets)*

Don't Cry **

On the Beach ***

Walk On ***

Fucking Up ***

* = with David Garza and Jeff Gauthier

** = with David Garza

*** = with David Garza and JON FUCKING BRION

p.s. Starfucker alert: Danny Elfman and Matt Chamberlain were in the audience. :ninja

JON FUCKING BRION is RIGHT! I can't add much more, because I'm preparing to go to bed soon, only, I'm sure, to stare wide-eyed and grinning at the ceiling for hours. But GEEZE, how lucky can two fangirls be?

Nels was just absolutely fantatsic -- besides the covers, he did some very melodic jazz, some very mayhem-oriented avant jazz, and some sitar-sounding wonderfulness. And then his entire concept of doing an entire set of Neil songs was just inspired.

But to pile on top of that goodness, we got to see the guy we've been missing for a very long time. I feel amazingly lucky, and it underlies the famous Largo principle: when in doubt about going to a show, for goodness sake, just freakin' GO!!

:D

Jon showed up and sang on three songs in Nels's second set, composed entirely of "off the beaten track" Neil Young tracks.

Hippie Dream

Running Dry (Requiem for the Rockets)*

Don't Cry **

On the Beach ***

Walk On ***

Fucking Up ***

:omg !

I love Nels Cline and can't wait to move to California next month. Where exactly is Largo?

I'll let the fangirl who actually lives in California give you the details, because I can say only that it's in LA, on Fairfax across the street from Canter's and two doors down from a spacey pizza place.

Did we remember to mention that Nels was full-on singing throughout the night? It was ridiculously cool.

I'm still pretty blissed out. :)

Judy, we were SO thinking about you...

432 N. Fairfax, between Melrose and Beverly

Thanks. I look forward to meeting some of you at future shows there. I have seen Banyan @ Dipiazza's a couple time, chatted w/Nels, etc. I've become one of his biggest fans.

... Jon showed up and sang on three songs in Nels's second set, composed entirely of "off the beaten track" Neil Young tracks.

Nels'... choice of covers was unexpected, and he even sang--perhaps a testament to the relaxed, accepting atmosphere of Largo. The second set, without a doubt, kicked all sorts of ass. :rock

Set 1 (Nels Cline solo)

Look Through My Window [Mamas & Papas]

Tom Violence [sonic Youth]

I Hate Myself for Loving You [Joan Jett]

I Got No Answers [Joan Jett]

Little Argument with Myself [Low]

Set 2 (and not)

On the Beach ***

Walk On ***

*** = with David Garza and JON FUCKING BRION[/i]

SWEET JESUS!!! :w00t HOORAY for suprise vocal perfs by se

did nels intro the neil young set, or did it unfold? i can imagine the looks across the table as the band began another neil young song. :omg :w00t

The selection of covers was very intentional. He claimed that the "lovelorn ballads" and "existential angst" of the first set had nothing to do with his life, but well, you kinda had to hear it for yourself. As for the Neil Young set, he talked a lot about how big an influence Neil has been on him, even going back to the Buffalo Springfield days. He admitted to not only being 14 years old and wanting to be Neil Young but also to the ridiculousness of the idea (and getting called out by Kathleen Hannah on it).

Nels is seriously the coolest guy in all of Greater (and lesser) Los Angeles.

i don't recognize any of the covers from the first set,

You haven't heard I Hate Myself for Loving You? I think I'd assumed it was injected into all american citizens at birth, but I overheard a guy talking to Nels after the show, and he hadn't heard it before, either.

In any case, Nels' version was MUCH more intense than Joan's! I had no idea how very emotionally jagged those lyrics could be...

(also--heard that los angeles had a bit of a record-breaking heat wave last weekend. :stunned hope you all stayed cool enough!)

It WAS hot! But we coped by seeking out groovy restaurants and assorted beaches during the blistering part of the day. Fortunately, LA has an abundance of both. And it was deliciously cool at night, so we're very grateful for the use of your place as a rock tourism base camp. I even played the ever so untuned piano -- I just pretended I was in a honky-tonk. :lol

I even played the ever so untuned piano -- I just pretended I was in a honky-tonk. :lol

:rock

i had hoped to have it tuned before last week, but the tuner (tunist?) was booked until mid-june. alas.