The Beautiful South, Colston Hall, Bristol

Big Housemartins fan. Still like Heaton alot.

The Beautiful South, Colston Hall, Bristol

How I fell in love with Heaton the hooligan...

By Simon Price, The Independent

Published: 04 June 2006

Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm belatedly coming round to The Beautiful South. It's taken long enough. The obstacles were significant. Paul Heaton's ever-so-British trait of self-effacing modesty and unassuming humility (The Housemartins' "fourth best band in Hull" tag, the title of The Beautiful South's second hits compilation Solid Bronze) didn't match my glam-flash aesthetic, and Radio 2-friendly country-folk-pop, whether leavened with music hall or mariachi, wasn't my thing. In theory, it still isn't.

But this, in a sense, is the whole point. Paul Heaton, pop's reluctant optimist, is also perhaps its ultimate entryist, an incorrigible contrarian and provocateur whose songs of class conflict and sexual politics are, nevertheless, all over the jukey in the pub where your mum and dad drink, and whose first greatest hits collection, Carry On Up The Charts, was the third-biggest selling album in British history (after Michael Jackson and Phil Collins).

This, in itself, makes him a figure worthy of closer examination. What makes him a truly interesting character are his numerous contradictions. A clich

That's funny, because Rob made me a CD recently with their stuff as he really likes them. I recognized several songs too.

You seem to have good taste in men!

Love the Housemartins and based on those Beautiful South sample lyrics I think I need to check them out.

You really should. Generally gentle tunes but often cutting lyrics. There was an earlier best of compilation called 'Carry On Up The Charts' that I would recommend. The latest best of 'Solid Bronze' may be as good, it's just that I don't really know the last couple of albums. I'm quite surprised that they don't register on the US radar seeing as they have been around so long and had so much success (initially anyway). Maybe just too English.

I have every TBS album (including the new one) except the compilations, and they all have their charms. Hard to say which one is my favorite, though I'm partial to 0898 for some reason. What's everyone's favorite?