Gibson Memphis Series

I have been looking at ES 335s by Gibson and I have noticed that some of them have are noted as being a "Memphis Series." Just wondered if anyone knew what this meant. They seem to be a little cheaper than normal too...hmmm

I have been looking at ES 335s by Gibson and I have noticed that some of them have are noted as being a "Memphis Series." Just wondered if anyone knew what this meant. They seem to be a little cheaper than normal too...hmmm

I think all the production (non custom shop) guitars built after 1999 are Memphis Series.

• 5 weeks later...

Aside from what Greg Bennett did to the headstock designs, I've always been a huge fan of Samicks. I mean, you'd have to be an idiot not to, especially if you use the argument that 'an Epiphone is a Gibson without the Gibson logo.' Epiphones are typically either made in a Cortec plant or a Samick plant, and I think at one time Samick did a lot of Fender manufacturing as well. They make some of the best guitars around for incredibly low prices, and like a lot of Korean companies, every once in a while one guitar comes off the line sounding extraordinarily good even compared to its high-dollar brothers. I've got a mid- to late- 90s S-1 that still has the stock pickups, and they sound better than any modified Strat, American or otherwise, I've ever played. Add to that the amazingly speedy skunk-stripe maple neck and you've definitely got a players guitar. If someone was in the market for a Strat and really wanted great sound and playability for less than most Americans run, I wouldn't hesitate to at least try a Samick or three.

Edited by groselicain

world music industries is the other big korean factory. samick makes some decent stuff, but they also churn out some shoddy low enders (as is the case for all the korean manufactures). that said, i've played some pretty killer samicks and own an epiphone that was likely made in their plant (which i play more than my american gibson).

WMI mostly makes schecter and esp's ltd lines, as well as the low-end prs santanas.

Everyone can make a shoddy guitar, though. You can tell where your Epiphone was made by the Serial number. Serials beginning with S are Samicks, Cortec is C I believe, and F is a Korean factory that Epiphone hasn't given a name for. If you're ever in the market for one of their LP Customs, look for ones from the F factory that were made in 2001, 2001, and 2002. During those years, the F Factory used better pickups, a different neck to body joint, and the guitars typically way 2-3 lbs. heavier. I happened to have bought one my freshman year of high school, and I've got loads of comments about its tone. If you don't care to sacrifice a possible slipped-disc fromt he added weight, these things sound amazing. It's the guitar I used on "Song about Cars" on my website.