Now playing 19th June 2006

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grace - Buckley

One of the 20 or so cd's I bought in the last 2 weeks that I have to work my way through.

Someone gave me a spare copy last week. What do you think? I know it's one of those touchstone records, but I just plain don't like it, apart from one track. Oh well ...

Someone gave me a spare copy last week. What do you think? I know it's one of those touchstone records, but I just plain don't like it, apart from one track. Oh well ...

Some of the stuff is gorgeous, and some of it I just don't really like at all. "Hallelujah" and "Lover, You Should've Come Over" are fantastic, but "Corpus Christi Carol" is not very good at all.

I only listened to it once, however, so my opinion may change with repeated listenings. I'm now listening to:

B00007FOMP.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Some of the stuff is gorgeous, and some of it I just don't really like at all. "Hallelujah" and "Lover, You Should've Come Over" are fantastic, but "Corpus Christi Carol" is not very good at all.

I think it's let down quite a bit by the time in which it was recorded. The production sounds a bit dated, and at times the feel of the album and arrangements are very mid-90's sounding (that's cos they are, I guess, but it sounds stuck in that time too much for my liking). It's that damn drum sound that came out the 80's and still slunk around until the late 90's that does it. He's also showing off a bit too much at times for my taste, unlike his dad who has got some far better albums and is far more expressive a singer (not to mention a whole lot more fun) in my humble opinion. Check out Greetings From LA or Happy Sad or Starsailor (if you can find it) to see what I mean, I think you'll like them.

NP

simon-1.jpg

Jeff Buckley = greatest singer/songwriter ever for me, so i'm biased ;)

Not nearly prolific enough to deserve mention as one of the greatest songwriters, plus some of his better songs were co-authored. Still, IMLTHO he's the best singer I've ever heard and an incredibly underrated guitarist.

It is weird (but not offensive) to me to read or hear about people who haven't heard him or don't get him. Definitely a "DOES NOT COMPUTE" moment for me. At his best (which was often) he had no contemporary equal, even when he did show off.

Back on topic:

B000000P09.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Not nearly prolific enough to deserve mention as one of the greatest songwriters, plus some of his better songs were co-authored. Still, IMLTHO he's the best singer I've ever heard and an incredibly underrated guitarist.

It is weird (but not offensive) to me to read or hear about people who haven't heard him or don't get him. Definitely a "DOES NOT COMPUTE" moment for me. At his best (which was often) he had no contemporary equal, even when he did show off.

Back on topic:

B000000P09.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

true, i should stress the singer part ;)

Dylan is the best songwriter ever

but even just his released output he's definitely in a pretty top tier for me songwriting wise, not to mention his amazing unreleased output as well.

and yeah, he def was an underrated musician/guitarist for sure. i think too often people just assume that i (as well as others) rate him so high because he died so young, fact is i got into him in late '96, not too much before he died, i was obsessed with him before he passed, but it went to an entirely diff level in the months past.

i don't really see it as "showing off" really, if you've got the talent don't hide it.

I have no artwork to show for this but in about 30 minutes I'll be listening to a Grateful Dead show from The Fox Theater in Atlanta from 1977. And I was at this show. I just found this recording over the weekend and have not heard it yet. Should be fun.

B0000029DD.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

One of the 20 or so cd's I bought in the last 2 weeks that I have to work my way through.

Upon repeated listens, I'm really enjoying this one more. Still don't like Corpus Christi Carol, but I really like almost every other song. "So Real" is a great song.