Now playing 19th June 2006

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes, I get really sick of this place and all the 'Jeffy is out of a cast' or not-funny random thought crap - but the Np thread makes it all worthwhile.

Completely agreed. :wub

Yer Feldman is done upping; lemme add one or two other goodies to the grab-bag (I remembered you need to hear "For Samuel Beckett") and will send ye link details.

np

B00005MIZ4.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1114954452_.jpg

:dancing

It would be hard to confirm this but my suspicion is you are probably the very first person in world history to use this emoticon in relation to anything involving either Morton Feldman or Samuel Beckett. Cheers.

:cheers

:lol

What's the Beckett thing? I've recently read Watt by Beckett and was completely mesmerised, pissed off and amused in equal measure!

It's another one of his larger-scale symphonic pieces, similar to Rothko Chapel. I think Alex Ross said the two considered each other kindred artistic spirits, which makes sense, I suppose, in their motifs of repetition, slowness, ennui, etc. I would hesitate to describe it in words but if you can imagine an orchestra transcription of, say, Brian Eno's Ambient 1 or any of the pieces from Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works 85-92, but played as slowly as possible, you'd be more or less in the ballpark.

On another note, if you liked Watt, you should definitely look into Waiting for Godot or Endgame. Also the short stories of Donald Bartheleme (which I much prefer).

np

B00005NNF4.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg