This is about the Fender Pro Jr., for anyone who has played this amp. Now, I need a tube amp (All I have are shitty solid states.), that is between $300-500 and I've been thinking about purchasing a Pro Jr., as I've heard good things about them. Opinions on this amp? Reasons to buy or not buy? Other amps to recommend checking out? Any help is appreciated.

This is about the Fender Pro Jr., for anyone who has played this amp. Now, I need a tube amp (All I have are shitty solid states.), that is between $300-500 and I've been thinking about purchasing a Pro Jr., as I've heard good things about them. Opinions on this amp? Reasons to buy or not buy? Other amps to recommend checking out? Any help is appreciated.

i have one, little and loud. great tone, can give you a lot of different sounds depending on style. and nels approves of it

Don't know about the Pro Jr., but I've heard lots of good things from folks who have Blues Jr.'s.

Also, in that price range you should be able to find a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (1x12, 40 watts) or Deville (4x10, 60 watts).

I have a Peavey Classic 30 that I paid about $250 for used. It's 30 watts, 1 x 12 and I use it for club gigs, touring, recording, you name it. I put up a review on Harmony Central recently; mine is the first one listed (http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Peavey/Classic_30-1.html).

There is also the Classic 50, which is the 50 watt, 2 x 12 version of my amp. Both can easily be found within your price range.

Tube is the way to go. Once you make the switch from solid state, you'll wonder why in the hell you wasted so much time with those crappy amps. There's just no comparison.

I'm a big believer in low wattage (50 watts or lower) tube amps. I think you'll find that the best overdrive you can get from a tube amp is from the power tubes, and the only way to get that is by turning your amp up loud. Even something that is rated fairly low like the Fender Deluxe Reverb (22 watts) is going to be plenty loud for most normal applications. You can't accurately base how loud a tube amp is going to be on the loudness of a solid state amp of equivalent wattage. Tube watts are much louder than solid state watts, so I suggest trying one out first and getting a feel for it.

A good overdrive pedal is a big help in getting a decent overdrive from a tube amp. I use a modified Tube Screamer (circuitry has been replaced with the same circuitry found in the 70s models) with the level all the way up and the drive only barely on. This will boost the signal going into the amp and help push those power tubes. The Tube Screamer and other equivalents (Sparkle Drives and such) are good for getting that vintage overdrive sound without coloring the natural sound of your pickups.

Edited by BolivarBaLues
Anything over 20-25 watts is simply too loud for the music I like to play. Besides, I could not turn a 40 watt amp up enough to open up the tubes, without my family killing me. Thank you for the help, though :)

The truth is, even with a small amp, you're going to have to turn it up way too much for bedroom practice before you start to get power tube breakup. It'll breakup sooner (at lower volumes than larger amps) but I've never turned my pro-junior up loud enough to have it breakup and still not rattle the walls of the apartment building next to me.

Beyond the way they sound you probably won't notice a difference in loudness between a 20 watt and a 50 watt amp. This is because you have to increase wattage 10 fold before you get a doubling in perceived volume. So the 8 watt pro-junior is only half as loud as an 80 watt amp, ceteris paribus. Also, this means that a 22 watt deluxe reverb is only marginally louder than the pro junior (though a lot heavier and better tone, I think).

guitarnuts.com

BolivarBaLues is right that you have a lot of options for your price range if you include used equipment. If you're just looking for something to practice with, you could look at something like the Line6's POD and a set of headphones. I use something like this for home practice and a deluxe reverb reissue for gigs.

If you're looking for an amp to gig with and not something just for home practice, something in the 20 to 50 watt range would serve you best. All of which have a volume control that goes to 1.

I'm going to have to agree with ginandcigarettes on this one. As much as I love tube amps, you won't get to really have fun with it if you're in a bedroom, regardless of how low your wattage is. I was in the market for a Pro Junior a few years back after I heard Nels recommend one, but then I heard him explain that his reasoning was the way he was able to craft his tone at shows by playing it wide-open. If you're absolutely set on having tube tone, try looking into those Vox Valvetronix amps. I've personally never played one, but a former buddy of mine used to really gloat about is. Also, a lot of solid-state Peaveys have trans-tube technology now, so you'd be able to get a little of that tube sound at a reasonable volume. If it were me, though, I'd go with the POD suggestion or maybe another processor like a GNX. Until you're in a situation where you can play the amp loudly, the tube part won't really be of much use to you.

Edited by groselicain
I refuse to buy a trans-tube solid-state piece-of-shit.

I'll probably end up getting the Pro Jr, as my family really doesn't care now that I think about it. :D

Good call. Personally, I avoid anything that claims to have "tube sound with solid state reliability." Nothing sounds like a tube amp except for tube amp. Solid states fall short with their inability to respond to touch - a tube amp will become increasingly dirtier as you pick harder. I've heard lots of solid states make claims of being "touch sensitive," but they aren't the same.

And for all of that line 6 pod business, well, that's your call, but all of that modeling business sounds second-rate to me. Insted of trying to buy some silly little box that claims to duplicate the sound of various different vintage amps, get a real tube amp that does one thing and does it well. Those things come fairly close, but there's still some undefinable characteristic they have that really turns me off.

I just went shopping this weekend for a new amp and was very close to buying the blues jr with the tweed coverng. Pretty sweet. I then decided that I really prefer a two channel amp and am now waiting for the Blues Reissue to come in. Hopefully sometime this week.

I'll probably end up getting the Pro Jr, as my family really doesn't care now that I think about it. :D

Hmm... solid state amps tend to get a bad rap and while I mostly agree (seeing as how all of my amps are tube except for a JC-120 for my Rhodes), I don't believe that solid state is that bad. Gang of Four and the Buzzcocks both used solid state amps and I think they sound great (though they sound different from tube amps). Modelling technology has come a long way and Line6 amps made an appearance on Summerteeth (pick out which guitar parts aren't played through a tube amp -- even if you could, would it matter?).

Anyway, most of us will put a whole mess of completely solid state pedals in front of our amps. Our amps might have tube pre- and power-amps, but most usually have a solid state rectifier (including the Peavey Classic 30 and 50 and Fender Pro Junior and Blues Junior) and solid state reverb buffer and effects loop driver. My point is there are a lot of things between the miniature voltage induced at your guitar pickup and the vibration of the speaker that are solid state. Whether any of these things make a difference is completely up to your ear.

A solid state and tube amp.

Most guitatists prefer tube amps, though some jazz guys and some metal guys prefer solid state. In my experience, the super-simple answer is that a tube amp's overdrive sounds better a you turn it up, where as a solid state amp starts to sound ragged and nasty. The jazz guys dont generally overdrive their amps, and some metal guys prefer that harsher sound...

There's more technical stuff here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_sound

I thought you said it's a practice amp? It's your call, but practice amps aren't gigging amps, and if no one is listening then I'm not too picky about what I'm playing through. Either way, it's your decision and your money, so good luck in the process. :thumbup

I thought you said it's a practice amp? It's your call, but practice amps aren't gigging amps, and if no one is listening then I'm not too picky about what I'm playing through. Either way, it's your decision and your money, so good luck in the process. :thumbup

He didn't say it was solely for practice...

Hey Nick :wave

I was gonna suggest this thread to you... then i saw you started it!

Anyways the person with the helpful advice on the wattage was very helpful in reaffirming that I really do need a Twin Reverb :D. You know what I think though, Blues Jr. is a sweet little amp without the hell of alot of distortion but that great blues tone. Never played a Pro Jr. Oh and you should try every amp possible out, every amp is different and one may be it for you. And for the wattage thing, I think that the sound depends on speaker size much more than actual wattage (Pro Jr. will be quieter with less bass because it has a 10 inch speaker, and the Blues Jr. will be more open and balanced with a 12 inch speaker and louder also.)

Good luck man. Maybe you can find something at Starr's!

I don't know if you've already began looking into amps yet, or if you've even bought one, but I was reading one of my old Guitar Player issues from last year (August 2005, Keith Richards on the cover for anyone interested) when I came across an amp that might be exactly what you want.

"When it comes to a company invoking its storied past, few have as much history to draw upon as Epiphone. Largely known for its beautiful acoustic archtops, Epiphone didn

Yeah, Alastor, I think you need to reconsider what five watts of all-tube actually equals in terms of the equivalent solid-state wattage rating. My Hot Rod's never been turned up past 3 when I've played with guys using 100+ watt solid-states. If you're actually going to ride the thing wide-open like what you're planning, five watts is plenty loud for just about anyone. Also, bear in mind that as tubes raise in temperature, they tend to get even louder. You really just need to play each individual amp in person without going by what we're telling you. When it comes down to it, it's a personal thing that is unique to every situation.

EDIT- I love Carvins. A former teacher had a big Carvin Bass Cab and Head set-up that made me wet my pants, and the Carvin amps I've heard as of late have been real standouts.

Edited by groselicain