I'm not really an expert (at all) on amps, so I was wondering what the advantage of using an FX loop on an amp is. In the past I have just gone from the guitar into the pedal and then into the normal input of the amp. What is the advantage to using the FX loop? Are there some pedals that should be or are better to be used in the FX loop as opposed to running guitar->pedal->amp? And is "send" the "in" or "out?" Any help and clarification would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm not really an expert (at all) on amps, so I was wondering what the advantage of using an FX loop on an amp is. In the past I have just gone from the guitar into the pedal and then into the normal input of the amp. What is the advantage to using the FX loop? Are there some pedals that should be or are better to be used in the FX loop as opposed to running guitar->pedal->amp? And is "send" the "in" or "out?" Any help and clarification would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've never used anything that would work in an effects loop (well, at least it wouldn't sound very good). Overdrives for sure don't sound good in an effects loop. The loop effectively places the effects in the signal chain between the preamp and the power amp, as opposed to before the preamp. The result is less noise - this works for stuff like delays, choruses, etc. - time based effects. But bear in mind that though the result is less noise, you may not like the sound as well as if the effect was placed between the guitar and amp. Just play around with your effects and you'll see what I mean.

Effects send = out, effects return = in.

Here's something that might help:

http://www.guitarsite.com/guitar_FAQ.htm#LOOP

Most people dont like delays, tremolo, and modulation (chorus, flanger, phaser, etc) before overdrive/distortion. If you're getting your overdrive/distortion from the amp, it's often a good idea to put those types of pedals in an effects loop to place them after the preamp (unless of course your ears tell you differently). EQ pedals are usually used in the loop as well. Like Bolivar said, some pedals ar less noisy in the loop as well, though this varies a lot.

My setup usually goes guitar -> OD pedal or several -> delay -> amp set dirty, so I have OD/distortion both before and after the delay. I think it sounds fine and never felt the need to buy 2 more cables to use my effects loop. YMMV.

As for the flow, run a cable from the "send" jack into the input of your first pedal in the loop. Run a cable from the output of your last pedal in the loop back in to the effect "return" jack.