(I really don't know.)

Last night was fun, and it truly was the best weather I've ever experienced at Summerfest.

honestly, I think it's somewhere in the 80-85 range (I would kill myself)

oh, I would also like to note that J.P. (Johnathan Parker) is now handling roadie duties for Andrew Bird. it was pretty cool to see him there.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Summerfest was amazing. The set was great and the boys played well as always. The people sitting in my area didn't seem to know any of the songs or show any signs of life for that matter, but I guess that is just a Summerfest thing...Jeff was lively and it was hilarious to hear him say Wisconsin instead of Pekin. GREAT SHOW! Can't wait to hear the recording. Thanks to all the tappers!

The people sitting in my area didn't seem to know any of the songs or show any signs of life for that matter, but I guess that is just a Summerfest thing...

I have been to a few Wisconsin shows now and TRUST ME them being quiet is not a bad thing...

I really thought the crowd was great last night, I was worried that it was going to suck horribly. I ran into a kid I knew from the dorms and his friend was just being a obnoxius drunk practically screaming to his friend during the opening tracks... I tried as much as I could to shush as people were giving him god awful deserving looks... I finally just moved forward and figured some other person would tell him in a not so nice way.

I was able to get myself up by the soundboard right before the show, didnt get to see the band until the first encore when i was finally ballzy enough to jump onto the soundboard stage out of shear excitement.

I brought my friend and her boyfriend down to the show, she had heard some wilco just off what I play religiously, and her boyfriend had never even heard of them... needless to say though, by the end of the second encore...(and all of the OLE!) they were speechless

I LOVE WILCO!

:worship :worship :worship

Edited by G_willy

For those of you who were there - did Jeff play guitar on Impossible Germany? The two electrics I hear sound like Nels (duh) and Pat. Is that right?

I just bought an autobiography of Lanston Hughes recently (I don't know if there are more than one, this is his early life).

There are more than one. I teach the short "Africa" chapter from THE BIG SEA... is that the one you bought? If so, that's a damn good read. (I actually ran into 6-7 former students of mine at the show. I'm taking credit for turning at least two of them onto Wilco, more than two years ago.)

Before Andrew Bird began, a guy sitting near me said he was waiting for Wilco and wanted to know what Bird was all about. I explained and he decided to give it a try, but not before spending the entire waiting period chain-smoking his weed. During Bird's third song, he left, saying, "That's enough. I need to hear some guitars, man." On the plus side, the group of teenagers standing directly behind us were clearly smitten with Bird, and repeatedly declared that they were going to buy his album ASAP.

My wife counted 51 "nuthins" but I thought it was closer to 55-57. It's easy to lose track when it starts climbing that high.

The weather was beautiful, the crowd seemed enthusiastic and generous, and everyone near us seemed to have a great time. Best of all, it was clear that the band was having a great time, too. It was a much better Summerfest experience than I anticipated (and much better than 2003, when we were all stuffed into the North Shore stage in stifling heat).

Always a pleasure to see you, Lou. Did you notice that Rosie had several closeups projected onto the big screens?

For those of you who were there - did Jeff play guitar on Impossible Germany? The two electrics I hear sound like Nels (duh) and Pat. Is that right?

Jeff did play guitar on that song, which was lovely.

What a fun show-- good cronies, nice weather, tasty food (champagne! funnel cakes! fried cheese curds!)

Well worth enduring those three cover bands. :huh :cheers

There are more than one. I teach the short "Africa" chapter from THE BIG SEA... is that the one you bought? If so, that's a damn good read. (I actually ran into 6-7 former students of mine at the show. I'm taking credit for turning at least two of them onto Wilco, more than two years ago.)

Before Andrew Bird began, a guy sitting near me said he was waiting for Wilco and wanted to know what Bird was all about. I explained and he decided to give it a try, but not before spending the entire waiting period chain-smoking his weed. During Bird's third song, he left, saying, "That's enough. I need to hear some guitars, man." On the plus side, the group of teenagers standing directly behind us were clearly smitten with Bird, and repeatedly declared that they were going to buy his album ASAP.

The weather was beautiful, the crowd seemed enthusiastic and generous, and everyone near us seemed to have a great time. Best of all, it was clear that the band was having a great time, too. It was a much better Summerfest experience than I anticipated (and much better than 2003, when we were all stuffed into the North Shore stage in stifling heat).

Always a pleasure to see you, Lou. Did you notice that Rosie had several closeups projected onto the big screens?

Actually I bought the Big Sea. I figured there was more than one. Now all I have to do is actually read it. I have a copy of Claude McKay's autobiography that I bought more than a decade ago that I have never read.

As far as the pot smokers in the place, someone needs to get the Milwaukeans a better quality weed, the stuff near us smell like skunk.

It was certainly a better experience than my first time three years ago, but good is relative. At least it was cool so the crush of humanity wasn't so bad. I really wish they would attempt to book some acts that had some originality. I realize the Sweet Tarts or whatever the hell their name is have a pretty big local following, but there must be some local indie bands that could use the exposure.

I did see Rosie on the screen a few times....

Oh and I counted 55 nothings and 56 if you include the last one where he adds the "at all".
That was my count as well, but I thought I might have missed 5 somewhere in there.

LouieB

As far as the pot smokers in the place, someone needs to get the Milwaukeans a better quality weed, the stuff near us smell like skunk.

You obviously weren't standing by the right people... B)

and to the person who let me smoke them up so I could get on the bleachers for Theologians THANKS!

Edited by G_willy
I really wish they would attempt to book some acts that had some originality.

I can't stomach those cover bands. Why can't they make room for bands like Riviera? (I know the band couldn't make it this year--baby duty--but I'd make a point of catching them at the fest.)

I can't stomach those cover bands. Why can't they make room for bands like Riviera? (I know the band couldn't make it this year--baby duty--but I'd make a point of catching them at the fest.)
Exactly....!!! (I saw Riviera just last week at the Hideout by the way...)

I am okay with cover bands IF they have something going for them besides a relentless disco beat, lame singing and nauseating costuming like most of these folks had. In fact a good tribute band or a really fun bar band can be a rockin good time. Sadly the worst of the cover bands was the one right before Andrew. (actually I missed cover band #1 so they may have been the worst...) It just seemed a shame to be losing more hearing on what they were putting out, which was crap. I thought Jeff's comment about not getting the memo that they were supposed to play such and such song (which song..someone fill in the blank, because I am) was funny as hell. I mean who knew people really wanted to hear some of this stuff anymore.

LouieB

Show was great! Normally I would have happily camped out on the benches all day for a good spot, but my friend has a bad sprained ankle and was on crutches, so we got to stand in the handicapped area, a raised, enclosed platform right next to the cameraman and in front of the soundboard. Great view!!! And the sound back there was great too.

We have complete videos of War on War, Spiders, and maybe another song. Also many pics. Quality should be pretty decent... will post ASAP.

Jeff was cracking me up the whole time (comparing Canada's "wooing" abilities to those of the U.S. for "Kingpin". Also "Livin' in... Wisconsin!" was funny). Great crowd participation with the "Ole!" World Cup chant and the band names chanting. I think everyone should be pleased overall with the crowd -- there are always going to be some people trying to squeeze in your spot, also some drunk idiots, etc, but mostly people seemed to be loving it and getting into it.

I loved "Impossible Germany", especially the ending, and "Walken" was fun. Would have also liked "Is That the Thanks I Get?" or other new songs, but oh well.

Also there was another taper behind us running Microtech Geffels 300's > Lunatec V3, so it should be a sweet tape. It may not be posted for a bit though.

I thought Jeff's comment about not getting the memo that they were supposed to play such and such song (which song..someone fill in the blank, because I am) was funny as hell.

Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead Or Alive." They could at least have the good sense to make it "You Give Love a Bad Name."

Once he crossed 50, I started wondering what the record is. What is the record?

the melbourne 2003 show had 58 of them... thats most i've heard.

i remember thinking "when's he gonna stop" while i was there :lol

Show was great. Although anyone near the way front of the audience I am sure agrees with me that the group of drunk recent high school grads could have been a little quieter during Andrew Bird. They were bad enough that at one point I thought about just abandoning the front row and moving to a quieter area, but in the end I am glad I stuck it out. Wilco put on quite a show. Very high energy.

Oh, and the singer from Sweat Tarts had quite a pair of leather pants on. :omg

technology totally amazes me. a full show available in less than 24 hrs! gone are the days of waiting weeks and weeks for a show to surface, then the turnaround time of a B&P. its all about instant satisfaction (if you know what the heck a bit torrent is -- thus, instant satisfaction doesnt apply to me of course)

Edited by Sandoz
Oh, and the singer from Sweat Tarts had quite a pair of leather pants on. :omg
I think they were vinyl, not leather, but I could be wrong. They looked uncomfortable in any event.

LouieB

I think they were vinyl, not leather, but I could be wrong. They looked uncomfortable in any event.

LouieB

She was scarey ! :yucky

However, I did enjoy Personal Jesus for maybe :34.2 seconds .... then i was hoping they would spontaneously combust.

She was scarey ! :yucky

However, I did enjoy Personal Jesus for maybe :34.2 seconds .... then i was hoping they would spontaneously combust.

Oh I was talking about the guy with the shiney pants. Either way each song was good as you mention for about 30 seconds and then....plus the bass was so loud for no apparent reason.

LouieB

Did you notice that Rosie had several closeups projected onto the big screens?

:heehee

my fifteen seconds of fame!

notes:

great show, good to see wilco in such good spirits. loved the tossing of the bouquet between glenn, john and pat, as well as chanting every band member's name.

i'm officially in love with andrew bird. i haven't been in a musical trance like that in a long time.

the sweettarts made deja vu look like the beatles. laura...you have to post that setlist...

hooray for good weather at summerfest and a pretty good crowd!

It sure was great to finally be able to see the whole band together for the first time since last fall...way too long in my opinion. The show was amazing, much better than I had hoped it would be. It was great to experience it with some of our friends that had never been to a Wilco show before. By the time the show was over they wanted access to all of our Wilco discs!!! I love turning people on to good music.

Hey LouieB! That was me giving you a "shout out" before the band went on...just wanted to say HI!!

Looks to me like running, cutting back on caffine, and any of the other things Jeff's been up to lately definitely agree with him. It was great to see the whole band truly enjoying themselves.