Hey LouieB! That was me giving you a "shout out" before the band went on...just wanted to say HI!!
Hey there Jodi...yea..I saw you but wasn't sure who you were.

:rock

Louieb

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, having seen Son Volt recently, Jeff wins the battle of the bands hands down. Not only has Jeff become a better songwriter, bandleader and guitar player, he is also an entertainer who seems genuinely happy and pleased to be on stage and fronting a band. Jay Farrar ain't bad (I enjoyed him at Randolph St.), but there is no comparision to a night out with Jeff and night out with Jay.

That's probably why you're posting on a Wilco board, and not the Jay Farrar board (as far as I know...). I think personnal preference plays a large part in the "who's better debate." Personally, I think they're both incredible. They're both on a different level than most musicians, and it really comes down to splitting hairs. They both have their strengths and their weaknesses, of course, and it comes down to which of those matter to you.

I think the best way to put this is to quote an indepedent party. I took my buddy (who's a musician) to see both Son Volt and Jeff Tweedy (solo). He broke it down like this: Jay is the better songwritier, Jeff is the better entertainer. And I would have to agree.

I've seen the current Wilco lineup twice, and I've seen the current Son Volt lineup twice (with both guitarists). For what it's worth, if I had a choice, I would much rather see Son Volt live again than Wilco.

Then again, this is coming from the guy with the Son Volt avatar...

Edited by Groo

Well comrade, personal preference is the key. I do know some former Wilco fans that are bored with Wilco, but just on the strength of numbers I would say Jeff and Wilco have a resounding edge. I have seen both of these guys solo and with their bands in the last 6 months and if individuals with money to spend for entertainment are any indication, Jeff is the clear winner. Both played the Gary Sheppers' benefit and Jeff sold out in a flash whereas Jay didn't even sell out a somewhat smaller venue (the Abbey vs. Fitzgeralds.) Son Volt at Randolph St. compared to Wilco at Summerfest was even more striking. You could walk right up to the stage at Randolph St. and two nights ago at Summerfest we would have come to blows if more people had tried to get closer.

Jay is a fine guitarist and a decent songwriter, but in recent years Jay's songs are beginning to sound alike and no one is particularly interested in his new songs, not even his band. (The Son Volt members visilbly were more excited to play the old favorites and they are not even the original band.) Jeff on the other hand is thrilling people with even a couple new songs and he continues to transform the old ones all the time.

I know this is a tired old argument, but Jeff cracks people up when he talks in concert, Jay mumbles a few thank yous during his set and is gone. Jeff looks like he would keep playing forever if he could and always looks appreciative of the applause, but Jay was clearly watching the clock at Randolph St. Jeff sells out venues all over the world. Not sure what Jay does, but I doubt it.

I haven't seen Jay's video and frankly I am not very interested in it, but everyone here is pissed off that Jeff squashed his video. I did get to see Jay's bass player with Jon Dee Graham, so I guess Jay isn't keeping him too busy. Meanwhile Jeff's sidemen have their own band or significant solo careers when they aren't busy with Wilco. Glenn and Nels are getting to play Pitchfork, which is pretty cool.

(Its Friday afternoon and I must be pretty bored to be getting into this.)

LouieB

Well comrade, personal preference is the key. I do know some former Wilco fans that are bored with Wilco, but just on the strength of numbers I would say Jeff and Wilco have a resounding edge.

Based on strength of number, Fall Out Boy has a resounding edge over both Wilco and Son Volt combined. Then again, might doesn't always make right (or something like that).

I have seen both of these guys solo and with their bands in the last 6 months and if individuals with money to spend for entertainment are any indication, Jeff is the clear winner. Both played the Gary Sheppers' benefit and Jeff sold out in a flash whereas Jay didn't even sell out a somewhat smaller venue (the Abbey vs. Fitzgeralds.) Son Volt at Randolph St. compared to Wilco at Summerfest was even more striking. You could walk right up to the stage at Randolph St. and two nights ago at Summerfest we would have come to blows if more people had tried to get closer.

I saw Jay solo at Borders, I saw Jeff solo at Otto's, I saw Wilco last time they were in Champaign (a while ago, but it is the current lineup, and similar setlist), Son Volt at Taste of Randolph. Even though Jay played a short set at Borders, I was absolutely blown away. I nearly teared up during "Windfall." I had a great time seeing Jeff at Otto's (and the other time I saw him), but nothing came close to Jay playing Windfall or Medication.

The bootleg of the Son Volt show at the Vic back in October didn't leave my car for weeks. I can't listen to any of the recent Wilco bootlegs all the way through. And none of the Wilco songs I've heard recently have made me stand there mouth agape like "Indecision" did when I heard it at Taste of Randolph St.

Jay is a fine guitarist and a decent songwriter, but in recent years Jay's songs are beginning to sound alike and no one is particularly interested in his new songs, not even his band. (The Son Volt members visilbly were more excited to play the old favorites and they are not even the original band.)

I think Okemah sounds completely different from just about anything else he's ever done. And it sounds a lot better than Wide Swing Tremelo. Personally, I love the new songs. And I'm blown away by the two I've heard from the new album (Methamphetamine and Indecision).

Jeff on the other hand is thrilling people with even a couple new songs and he continues to transform the old ones all the time.

The best stuff I've heard from Jeff lately has been on Loose Fur. The new songs are nice, but most of them see to be slow (On&On, Either Way, Impossible Germany). Is That the Thanks I Get is great, but Walken sucks.

I know this is a tired old argument, but Jeff cracks people up when he talks in concert, Jay mumbles a few thank yous during his set and is gone.

Ya, Jeff is definitely better at talking to the crowd. That's what I love about seeing Jeff.

Jeff looks like he would keep playing forever if he could and always looks appreciative of the applause, but Jay was clearly watching the clock at Randolph St. Jeff sells out venues all over the world. Not sure what Jay does, but I doubt it.

OK.

I haven't seen Jay's video and frankly I am not very interested in it, but everyone here is pissed off that Jeff squashed his video.

Jay's video isn't "claustraphobic"...

I did get to see Jay's bass player with Jon Dee Graham, so I guess Jay isn't keeping him too busy. Meanwhile Jeff's sidemen have their own band or significant solo careers when they aren't busy with Wilco. Glenn and Nels are getting to play Pitchfork, which is pretty cool.

I love the Autumn Defense. I haven't actually heard any of the music that the other members of Son Volt produce. But everyone in Jay's band is an excellent musician (except maybe that guy on the keys, he sometimes drives me nuts with his fucking organs).

(Its Friday afternoon and I must be pretty bored to be getting into this.)

LouieB

Agreed. I'd much rather be having this conversation over a beer. :beer

Edited by Groo

I was at the Summerfest show a week or so ago and thought that the band was in pretty fine form for the version that it's in now. I've seen about 10 Wilco shows over the years spanning most of their output, including Summerfest, The Rave in Milwaukee and various venues in Madison, Chicago, Amsterdam when I was there for work purposes (last European show of the YHF tour, and it was awesome), and Minneapolis, and I must say that I just am not into them in this new version as much anymore. And that doesn't mean that Wilco isn't good, it's just different. Glenn's a great drummer/percussionist, although Kenny was good too, just not as diverse. Wilco has evolved so much that to me, it really isn't the same band I've enjoyed all these years. I have a great live CD from one of their European tours called "She's a German" and that era, to me, is the most enjoyable era all the way up to YHF. I really liked the Billy Bragg collaboration as well. They do miss Jay Bennett (who is doing his own thing and has a site on myspace.com for those that are interested), and I'm sorry, while Nels sounds fine and is a quality guitarist on the new electronica that they seem to be putting out now, he really can't cut it on the pre-Ghost stuff. The guy they really miss as well is Leroy Bach. There always seem to be some shots taken here at Jay Farrar as well, for no good reason. He and Jeff Tweedy are two guys with a common past who now have divergently different musical viewpoints. Son Volt is now a guitar driven alt-country rocker. I've seen Farrar four different times alone, with Canyon as his backing band, and the old and new Son Volt. He's just not a chatter box like Tweedy is, but that doesn't make him or his music any less impactful. Farrar just doesn't seem to give a crap about whether there are 1000 people or 10 people at the show. He plays the music he wants to play and if you like it, fine, if you don't, he really doesn't care. As far as popularity, Wilco really isn't Wilco anymore. You have two original members, Jeff and John. To me, Wilco now is basically the Jeff Tweedy band. See what kind of crowd there'd be at the shows if this was called what it actually is, The Jeff Tweedy band. Wilco's musical style is hard to define now. I guess all the rambling here leads to my conclusion that I like the band enough to be a member of this site but after the Summerfest 06 show, I don't know if the recent past and the future of the band is something that I'll follow anywhere near as closely as I once did.

Wilco was ALWAYS the Jeff Tweedy Band, the same as Son Volt is the Jay Farrar band. At least Wilco still has John. Wilco and Son Volt are both the reflection of and the creation of their leaders.

LouieB

Wilco was ALWAYS the Jeff Tweedy Band, the same as Son Volt is the Jay Farrar band. At least Wilco still has John. Wilco and Son Volt are both the reflection of and the creation of their leaders.

LouieB

That's true in both cases, but I actually think it's probably less true now about Wilco than in years past. I suspect there's greater collaboration between Jeff and the current lineup than between Jeff and any previous incarnation of Wilco.

LouieB

You make a good point, although I think that Jay Bennett had more of a creative role in writing lyrics and music in Wilco before he was booted. Jay Farrar wrote all the lyrics and music for Son Volt.

That's true in both cases, but I actually think it's probably less true now about Wilco than in years past. I suspect there's greater collaboration between Jeff and the current lineup than between Jeff and any previous incarnation of Wilco.
Music wise I totally agree. While Jay played a role in writing some of the songs and riffs, the current band, particularly Nels and Glenn, function more as a jazz band and are given the freedom to improvise. I wish the keyboard players got more of that kind of time, but even that seems to be happening more than it used to.

LouieB

• 1 year later...