Tom Waits tour of the USA and Canada

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The source is the dilligently maintained Eyeball Kid Waits blog and a number of other music boards.

Also, I'd like to apologize for messing up and thinking that today was Wednesday when it's only Tuesday. Stay tuned for an announcement tomorrow, and if I'm mistaken then, everybody can huck t'maters at me and stuff.

Checked Pollstar this morning for news on a Waits tour and here is the interesting response:

This Artist is not on tour right now, but you might be interested in some of these related artists .....

Bob Dylan

Beck

Wilco

Elvis Costello

The source is the dilligently maintained Eyeball Kid Waits blog and a number of other music boards.

Also, I'd like to apologize for messing up and thinking that today was Wednesday when it's only Tuesday. Stay tuned for an announcement tomorrow, and if I'm mistaken then, everybody can huck t'maters at me and stuff.

thanks for the update.

oh yeah, awesome avatar

Tuesday, Aug 1 Atlanta, GA Tabernacle

Wednesday, Aug 2 Asheville, NC Thomas Wolfe Auditorium

Friday, Aug 4 Memphis, TN Orpheum Theatre

Saturday, Aug 5 Nashville, TN Ryman Auditorium

Monday, Aug 7 Louisville, KY Palace Theatre

Wednesday, Aug 9 Chicago, IL Auditorium Theatre

Friday, Aug 11 Detroit, MI Opera House

Sunday, Aug 13 Akron, OH Akron Civic

I hope to fucking god there's more dates on the way. I have a no-travelling-beyond-Toronto-or-Buffalo concert rule, but if I have to, god help me, I'll take a damn coach all the way to Dee-troy-it for Mr. Waits. Not missing this for the world.

Tuesday, Aug 1 Atlanta, GA Tabernacle

Wednesday, Aug 2 Asheville, NC Thomas Wolfe Auditorium

Friday, Aug 4 Memphis, TN Orpheum Theatre

Saturday, Aug 5 Nashville, TN Ryman Auditorium

Monday, Aug 7 Louisville, KY Palace Theatre

Wednesday, Aug 9 Chicago, IL Auditorium Theatre

Friday, Aug 11 Detroit, MI Opera House

Sunday, Aug 13 Akron, OH Akron Civic

I hope to fucking god there's more dates on the way. I have a no-travelling-beyond-Toronto-or-Buffalo concert rule, but if I have to, god help me, I'll take a damn coach all the way to Dee-troy-it for Mr. Waits. Not missing this for the world.

where did you find this info?

The full announcement:

Iconoclast and reclusive touring artist TOM WAITS is making an unprecedented move by taking his always unpredictably stunning live show on the road, mostly in cities (Atlanta, Memphis, Louisville, Nashville) where he hasn't been seen on stage since the mid-to-late '70s. As for Asheville, NC, Tom has never played a gig; he hasn't performed in Akron, OH or Detroit since the '80s. The most recent stop on this extraordinary tour is Chicago, where Waits played the Chicago Theater for three sold out nights on his "Mule Variations" tour in '99.

"We need to go to Tennessee to pick up some fireworks, and someone owes me money in Kentucky," says Waits about why he's chosen this particular time and route to tour.

When this two-time Grammy-winner last performed live in 2004, tickets sold out in hours, if not minutes. His most recent live date in London sold out in 30 minutes, with over 150,000 ticket requests received within the first hour. Waits' three previous North American concerts (two in Vancouver, Canada and one in Seattle) were also snapped up in record time.

"His concert was a nostalgic trip through freak shows, murder ballads, and ruminations on lost love," wrote Charles R. Cross in Rolling Stone after 2004 performance at Seattle's Paramount Theater. "He didn't so much sing these songs as he wheezed, whistled, and shouted them, shaking his fist like a craps player on a roll. Mining his recent Real Gone.Waits created a world of haunting characters adrift in a bygone age."

In other news, Paste magazine has just issued its collector's edition citing the "100 Best Living Songwriters," with Tom Waits and Kathleen Brennan (longtime co-writer, co-producer and wife) clocking in at #4. According to Paste, "In literature, only a handful of writers have pulled off the near impossible. In music, it happens on every Tom Waits recording."

Look for local ads in the regional papers for on sale dates. The first show in Atlanta goes on sale July 8.

Shit shit shit shit shit shit. Looks like those eight dates are it. Won't be seeing any of these faraway shows. The Midwesterners - spoiled again.

Edited by TheMaker

Not to be that guy but I have never once been able to make it through a Tom Waits record. I've tried Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones, Bone Machine, Mule Variations, Alice, Closing Time, etc., etc. Dude's voice sounds like a drill to the skull. Is there another one I should try?

Edited by Deaf Ro