Tom Waits tour of the USA and Canada

Not to be that guy but I have never once been able to make it through a Tom Waits record. I've tried Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones, Bone Machine, Mule Variations, Alice, Closing Time, etc., etc. Dude's voice sounds like a drill to the skull. Is there another one I should try?

No, you've done enough. Give up and write him off. There's no reason to force it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be that guy but I have never once been able to make it through a Tom Waits record. I've tried Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones, Bone Machine, Mule Variations, Alice, Closing Time, etc., etc. Dude's voice sounds like a drill to the skull. Is there another one I should try?

"The Heart Of Saturday Night" has always seemed to be the most accessible to me. Even my parents liked it. :)

Asheville!!! Sweet! I'm trying to get my brother hyped up to go. He's a big Waits fan, but may have to be at work the next day.

I might be going to that show too!! :w00t

i love his voice :wub

I agree I love his voice too!!

his voice, while gruff, can be very gorgeous too (ie: Hold On) imo

i'll agree sometimes his gruff stuff (like a lot of Real Gone) is a bit much for me to take a lot of, but he's definitely one of the most intriguing & captivating songwriters/singers of the last 30 years.

No, you've done enough. Give up and write him off. There's no reason to force it.

Holy Christ, that may be the first time anyone has ever said that on this board. You're wrong, though. The correct answer is "you're listening to it the wrong way."

Holy Christ, that may be the first time anyone has ever said that on this board. You're wrong, though. The correct answer is "you're listening to it the wrong way."

So, what's the right way? Your way?

For the record, I like him a lot and would love to see him (especially if Marc Ribot is in his band), but I'm not going to the show because Atlanta audiences ruin concerts and I feel like $125 ($65 ticket, plus fees, drinks & tips) would be better spent on another guitar. Tom Waits would probaly agree.

Something y'all should know about the upcoming rush for Waits tickets ... this info was posted on the Ticketmaster page for the Atlanta show, and it appears that similar restrictions are in effect for the other shows (the page for the Louisville and Detroit shows have similar text).

This event will be sold only on the internet and phone.

This event is WILL CALL ONLY; no tickets will be issued in advance. You will receive a confirmation number upon placing your order. Ticket pick-up begins at 6 pm on the day of the show at the Tabernacle box office. Tickets may only be picked up by the credit card holder on the account and must be accompanied by a photo ID and the credit card used to make the purchase. NAME CHANGES FOR TICKET PICK-UPS ARE NOT PERMITTED. UPON RECEIVING YOUR TICKETS AT THE BOX OFFICE' date=' YOU WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DIRECTED INSIDE THE BUILDING.

Persons who exceed the [b']2 ticket limit[/b] may have any or all of their orders and tickets cancelled without notice by Ticketmaster at its discretion.

nothing wrong with Chicago Deep Dish imo, but it's not something i can eat very often myself... if i want pizza i want a nice hand tossed or even thin Napoli-style crust, not lasagna on top of bread ;)

I saw him at the Beacon NYC, right after "Mule Variations" came out (the most $$ I have ever spent, from scalper outside) The entire audiance doing the corus from "innocent when you dream" for the ecoreFreakin awesome, He walked about three feet from me with the bull horn upon his entrance, band amazing, his stage presence unparelled. worth every nickle! Louisville, Ky. are you shittin me, last time I was at the Palace was for my first WILCO show, Great venue!! :blink :thumbup :wub :w00t :dancing :beer

Edited by mchchef1
*GASP!* :-O are you saying that there is something wrong with chicago style pizza?

I've never eaten pizza in Chicago, but we have a place in Atlanta that claims to have real Chicago pizza. The pizza in their ad looks like someone threw up their all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner onto a deep dish crust.