• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been stuck on "Sloop John B." lately. Obsessed, actually. I think it's a perfect single and the vocals (particularly at the a cappela part) are mind-blowing.

Other than that, I think the new stereo mix [of Pet Sounds]is a waste of time. It's not bad, but it's like hearing an updated version of something that was perfect to begin with. The '80s reissue mono vinyl is the way to go. The CD uses that annoying "no noise" process that mucks up the sound.

Edited by Sid Hartha
this is an album I know I'm supposed to fawn over (to be the hip music fan I of course aspire to be :ermm ), and I've given it many tries, and I just have never been blown away.

Those of you who proclaim it's greatness, help me out--let me know what moments just get your girdles (or slacks, or trousers) all bunched up.

1) Think of the era that it debuted in.

2) Then think of the innovations present.

3) Marvel at how this is mostly a Brian project with session musicians that the rest of the Boys overdubbed over. (At least I always thought so.)

4) Then ask yourself why ask why when we're talking about a world full of so much musical dreck.

5) It's just music. Listen to it or don't. If you don't like it you don't like it. Don't lose sleep over it.

Mike Love hated Pet Sounds.

Nuff said.

lol

Mike Love hated Pet Sounds.

Nuff said.

As much as I loathe Mike Love, I can understand why the other band members weren't too cool with this record. It's a Brian Wilson solo album disguised as a Beach Boys album. At a time when they really needed to solidify their fan base ("Sloop John B." was a promising start), Brian ultimately delivered an album of songs that radio wouldn't play, and that the band couldn't perform live. It confused the hell out of what fans they had left, resulting in poor album sales (the record went out of print quickly).

The record's a masterpiece, but the band suffered because of it.

and then came Smile... :omg

Putting album in car disc changer this morning. Going to give this another try. From what I'm hearing on hear I should ignore the stereo half of the cd (the one I have has the original tunes and then repeats in stereo)

:dancing

I've been stuck on "Sloop John B." lately. Obsessed, actually. I think it's a perfect single and the vocals (particularly at the a cappela part) are mind-blowing.
I think this is the weakest track on the album, but it was a huge single for them. I mean it hardly even belongs on the album and certainly has little to do with the rest of the concept. It is a "folk song", not written by Brian and company and is really pretty corny in general. After too many years of hearing it on the radio, it is the one thing on the album I sometimes skip entirely. I googled it to figure out who DID write it and it turns out to be Lee Hayes and Carl Sandburg, a couple hip dudes....it was covered by the Kingston Trio first, not sure who else, but it had already been pretty popular as a campfire favorite by the time the Beach Boys stuck it on this album and released it as a single.

1) Think of the era that it debuted in.

2) Then think of the innovations present.

3) Marvel at how this is mostly a Brian project with session musicians that the rest of the Boys overdubbed over. (At least I always thought so.)

4) Then ask yourself why ask why when we're talking about a world full of so much musical dreck.

5) It's just music. Listen to it or don't. If you don't like it you don't like it. Don't lose sleep over it.

lol

1. What about the era it was released in.....1966... come on, lots of cool stuff had happened in recording by then.

2. Which innovations were those? Most had been done by Phil Spector and others some years before.

3. Yea okay.

4. Huh?

5 Yes it is, nice pleasant stuff and mostly about alienation and trying to grow up. What's not to like?

LouieB

I actually prefer the stereo version - if only for 'God Only Knows'. I know it's all the same, but hearing the intro to that song in stereo is as good as it gets.

As for the other Beach Boys hating the record, Mike Love will never admit that his band's most popular album isn't his favourite, but it's obvious he didn't and still doesn't dig it as much fans do. But what did he expect? Brian Wilson had quit touring to stay in the studio - and with a seemingly endless pit of money and studio time at his disposal with the best session players LA had to offer, enough pot to make Cheech and Chong jealous, did he really think Brian would sit back and do 50 rewrites of 'Little Deuce Coupe' and then wait for Mike to write his lyrics to lay down the vocals?

I actually prefer the stereo version - if only for 'God Only Knows'. I know it's all the same, but hearing the intro to that song in stereo is as good as it gets.
I guess that's why they put out both on the CD, to keep everyone happy.

LouieB

Listened to the whole album again... Following are some random thoughts (and too many smilies) re same

First off, I have to confess that even though many if not all of my favorite artists have been guilty of this sin, I have a severe allergy to the fade-out as the ending to a song. I've always made the analogy that ending a song by fading out the volume is like ending a book by making the font gradually smaller until it's illegible (and I also almost always wonder

For the most part I *like* pet sounds, but am not enamoured like a lot of people. I think The Beatles were mostly impressed by the harmonies and orchestral embellishments on the record (lyrics were never The BB's strong point). Thereafter there's a lot more orchestral stuff in Beatles' music.

God Only Knows is definitely the high point of the album. After that I like Caroline, No and Let's Go Away for A While + Put Your Head on My Shoulder. Sloop John B, may be a corny song, but the BB's arrangement is amazing.

fffff ...

that all said, I listen to another L.A. band's orchestral masterpiece a whole lot more, Love's "Forever Changes".

I am interested in reading a book where at the end the font get smaller and smaller until you can't read it anymore.

I like that idea too! Have great eyesight?....... you get a different ending then others.

Oh, and I do love Pet Sounds (first concert was a Beach Boys one at the good old Midland County Fair circa 6th grade)..... God Only Knows was the song I danced to with my mother at my wedding.

It's not the greatest record in the world, but if I could only take 20 albums to an island it would be one of them

Edited by Boots
I am interested in reading a book where at the end the font get smaller and smaller until you can't read it anymore.
How about the Mouse's Tale in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland....that's close....

LouieB

how much would an original vinyl pressing go for?
I quick look at ebay seemed to reveal that it would be around $100 or so. Granted, it might not be what you're looking for...I'm not a record collector so I don't know.
i'd really like to hear it how it sounded around the time it was released.

Just play the mono tracks on the current reissue - they're from the same master used for it's original release.

I have the original mono pressing, which isn't very good sounding. It was cut very quiet, so there's lots of surface noise. The '80s Capitol LP reissue - from the same master - doesn't have that problem, and is the one I always listen to. You can probably find one cheap nowadays (it has no 'collector appeal' ;) ).

Sloop John B was put on there on there by the record company - Brian did not want it on there. This album is really a journey about one's (Brian's) coming of age and the confusion he was going through as people were calling him a genius, Capitol demanding more "hits", (no putting out a record every couple of years then, folks) and his desire to create something outside the limits of the three minute single.

I don't think I've ever listened to that record in its entirety.