Sufjan Stevens Embarking On Symphonic Fall Tour

Friday, July 07, 2006

For the first time in over a year, Sufjan Stevens is going on tour, bringing with him a talented group of musicians and friends including a small string ensemble (ranging from four to eight members in different cities) and brass section.

They will perform a repertoire of familiar songs from Seven Swans, Michigan and Illinois in a new symphonic context. This tour is not a promotional tour for The Avalanche, Stevens' latest CD of Illinois outtakes, but instead a chance for Stevens to showcase his compositions in a more formal atmosphere. The tour will bring Sufjan and his ensemble to some of the country's finest theaters, including Nashville's esteemed Ryman and Los Angeles' historic Wiltern. Almost all of these shows will be seated, with three exceptions.

The pomp and pageantry of the previous Illinoisemakers tour will be augmented by a nuance, mastery and sophistication of talented new players. But don't expect to see any cheerleading uniforms or routines. Suit coats, neckties and corsages might be more appropriate; but we aren't about to issue a dress code. Sufjan will also be performing five to six new songs on the tour.

Supporting the tour will be My Brightest Diamond, a moniker for the talented singer-songwriter Shara Worden. Shara has toured extensively in Sufjan's band, appears on his recordings, and is often his right-hand woman. Shara is also a close friend, creative peer and Brooklyn neighbor to Sufjan.

Tour Dates

Mon. Sept. 11: Nashville, TN, Ryman

Fri. Sept. 15: Austin, TX, Paramount Theater

Sat. Sept. 16: Austin, TX, Paramount Theater

Tue. Sept. 19: New Orleans, LA, House of Blues

Weds. Sept. 20: Atlanta, GA, Fox Theater (PASTE Fest)

Thu. Sept. 21: Chapel Hill, NC, Memorial Hall

Sat. Sept. 23: Indianapolis, IN, Egyptian Theater

Sun. Sept. 24: St. Louis, MO, The Pageant

Mon. Sept. 25: Milwaukee, WI, Pabst Theater

Tue. Sept. 26: Chicago, IL, The Riviera

Thu. Sept. 28: Philadelphia, PA, The Towers

Fri. Sept. 29: New York, NY, Town Hall

Sat. Sept. 30: New York, NY, Town Hall

Mon. Oct. 9: Los Angeles, CA, The Wiltern

Weds. Oct. 11: San Francisco, CA, Zellerbach Hall

Fri. Oct. 13: Portland, OR, Crystal Ballroom

Sat. Oct. 14: Vancouver, BC, St. Andrews Cathedral

Sun. Oct. 15: Seattle, WA, Paramount

Yikes -- the Egyptian Theater in Indianapolis. :ermm The world's worst venue when it comes to acoustics. What a shame. I suppose the Murat Theatre just steps away is too large, but ... dang.

Gah. I hate the Pageant. He should definitely reschedule that one and play the Uptown in KC instead...

I agree. They're making it sound like each show is not just a concert, but a personal gift to that city.

It says something simple in a whole lot of words. Appropriate for Sufjan, I suppose.

(Not that I wouldn't go...)

The Paramount in Austin is freakin awesome.

I'm pretty psyched about this. I'll definitely catch one of the two nights.

the place he's playing in Vancouver just might be the finest place to see music in the city... well, a sit-down show, anyhow. cathedrals arent too good for rocking out, but the place is gorgeous looking, and has matching acoustics.

I'm new in town, where is this venue? Do you know where I can get tickets or does it have to be over the internet?