Allmusic Wilco Entry

I did a VC search and didn't see this posted before, so I thought I'd throw it out. Following are some items listed on www.allmusic.com for wilco. Talk amongst yourselves...

Influenced By:

Gram Parsons

Big Star

The Replacements

The Beach Boys

Neil Young

The Flying Burrito Brothers

Similar Artists

The Jayhawks

Son Volt

The Rockingbirds

The Blood Oranges

Tim O'Reagan

Antlerand

The Little Ones

The Chrysler

Decibully

Salim Nourallah

Matt Mays

The Damnwells

Milwaukee

NoahJohn

The Peter Bruntnell Combination

Granfaloon Bus

Rich McCulley

Starch Martins

The Possibilities

Joel Plaskett

Cub Country

Followers

You Am I

moe.

Gingersol

Honeydogs

Herring Boys

Tim Easton

The Cash Brothers

Limbeck

Shoot Lucy

Fightmaster

Pie Eyed Pete

Riviera

Vicious Vicious

Nightmare of You

The Class of '98

The Rewinds

Hymns

Styles:

Alternative Pop/ Rock

Alternative Country-Rock

Adult Alternative Pop/ Rock

Experimental Rock

Indie Rock

Moods:

Uncompromising

Angst-Ridden

Yearning

Intimate

Wistful

Reflective

Self-Conscious

Searching

Bittersweet

Cathartic

Hypnotic

Complex

Earnest

Summery

Earthy

Rousing

Rambunctious

Enigmatic

Soothing

Party/ Celebratory

Biography:

Wilco rose from the ashes of the seminal roots rockers Uncle Tupelo, who disbanded in 1994. While Jay Farrar, one of the group's two singer/songwriters, went on to form the band Son Volt, his ex-partner Jeff Tweedy established Wilco along with the remaining members of Tupelo's final incarnation, which included drummer Ken Coomer as well as part-time bandmates John Stirratt (bass) and Max Johnston (mandolin, banjo, fiddle, and lap steel). Guitarist Jay Bennett rounded out the group, which in 1995 issued their debut album, A.M., a collection of spry country-rock tunes that followed the course established in Tweedy's earlier work. Wilco's sophomore effort, 1996's two-disc set Being There, marked a radical transformation in the group's sound; while remaining steeped in the style that earned Tweedy his reputation, the songs took unexpected detours into psychedelia, power pop, and soul, complete with orchestral touches and R&B horn flourishes. Shortly after the release of Being There, which most critics judged to be among the year's best releases, Johnston left the group to play with his sister, singer Michelle Shocked, and was replaced by guitarist Bob Egan of the band Freakwater. At the same time, while remaining full-time members of Wilco, Stirratt, Bennett, and Coomer also began performing together in the pop side project Courtesy Move. In 1998, Wilco collaborated with singer/songwriter Billy Bragg on Mermaid Avenue, a collection of performances based on unreleased material originally written by Woody Guthrie.

Their stunningly lush third album, Summerteeth, followed in 1999 and met with critical acclaim but only average sales, initiating tensions with their label, Warner Bros. 2000 saw the release of Mermaid Avenue, Vol. 2, which featured more selections from the band's collaborations with Bragg on Woody Guthrie's unfinished songs. Following this release, longtime drummer Ken Coomer decided to amicably leave the band and was replaced by the Chicago-based Glenn Kotche. The band then focused on recording their fourth album, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, which ultimately led to the departure of guitarist Jay Bennett, and further tensions with their label. Unwilling to change the album to make it more "commercially viable," Wilco bought the finished studio tapes from Warner/Reprise for a reported $50,000 and left the label altogether. Leaked tracks from the album surfaced on the Internet in late 2001, and the stripped-down lineup of Tweedy, Kotche, Stirratt, and multi-instrumentalist Leroy Bach embarked on a small tour to support

well, I for one am feeling so angst-ridden, self-conscious, rambunctious and summery :ermm , as a result of repeated exposure to wilco's music, that I'm not sure I could amply respond.

Edited by whatdisay
Followers: moe.

I believe moe. has been around a bit longer, but anyway.

I think the point was, for whoever wrote, to name as many bands and adjectives as possible. A contest of sorts.

This is useful in the strange, screwy world of AWATT I live in, a musical universe that is limited but not limited to only JT related music (UT, GS, LS, etc.) I've been wondering about what else fits, beyond Neil and Gram and Jayhawks. I'll check out some of these other bands (confession: never heard of Bright Eyes).

:cheers

This is useful in the strange, screwy world of AWATT I live in, a musical universe that is limited but not limited to only JT related music (UT, GS, LS, etc.) I've been wondering about what else fits, beyond Neil and Gram and Jayhawks. I'll check out some of these other bands (confession: never heard of Bright Eyes).

so you're into earthy uncompromising cathartic bands?

;)

Nice way to put it. Yes. Any others that come to your mind, just as cathartic, just as uncompromising?

:yes

Steve Earle :cheers

Steve Earle :cheers

A rehabilitated junkie? The gal who got me into Wilco in the first place is always pushing me to listen to Earle, and now Gram Parsons. What is it with drugs and alt country rock? (I know, another thread is all over this topic).

Guest Jules
I thought the WB paid Wilco $50,000k then they signed with Nonsuch (essentially paying the band 2 times).

This guy makes it seem like Wilco had to pay WB $50k to get out of the deal....

which is it?

Wilco bought the masters for $50K, then streamed (leaked) them on their website before the eventual release under Nonesuch. It was considered a good deal for the band.

I'm a little surprised the Beatles aren't listed under influences...

yep. there was a time when i was listening to When you wake up feeling old, at low volume in the office. a guy beside me asked "is that sgt pepper?"

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig this thread up from the VC tombs but i couldn't agree more with two of these artist mentioned in this piece as similar artist to Wilco

I had to search this board to see if any one here knew about them after falling hard for both of them.

Decibully

Salim Nourallah

Just this weekend i heard them both for the first time. Decibully on a official release "Sing out America" and Salim Nourallah live in Dallas.

Anyone that enjoys Wilco should check them out.

dave