7/7/06 -- Toronto, Ontario

A pretty eventful night (if somewhat low-energy crowd)--another new song played for the first time live, Jeff calling the audience motherf*ckers...and then apologizing, setting the protocol for the next Toronto show, etc.

Setlist first, some comments to follow:

new song-There's A Light*

IATTBYH

Handshake Drugs

new song-Impossible Germany

A Shot in the Arm

At Least That's What You Said

Misunderstood>

Wishful Thinking

Airline To Heaven

Hesitating Beauty

Walken (Talking To Myself About You)

Theologians

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Jesus, etc.

Hummingbird

----------------------------------

War on War

The Late Greats

Heavy Metal Drummer

Kingpin

-----------------------------------

Via Chicago>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it was great to see Wilco again since Oct 2004. I can't wait until the next album comes out, the new songs sound great. Funny about tonight though. In Oct 2004 at Massey Hall Jeff was more than happy to have a low key crowd.

In terms of Jeff interacting with the crowd, it was one of those nights when he didn't for the first 50 minutes or so of the show. And then it was pretty much the usual, "Hello. Is everybody having a good time?" Usually that lack of banter is a sign that things are going well, but he must have seen or sensed something he didn't like because after I'm The Man Who Loves You, Jeff said, "Is this a Sunday night or something? Is it the seats? What do we have to do?" And shortly thereafter, something like, "If we don't see more energy out of you motherf*ckers, we just won't come back out," which sounds bad but I think was said at least partly in jest.

Anyway, pretty much everybody got shamed into standing up after that. So they launched into Jesus, etc., and during the singalong part, Jeff apologized for calling the crowd motherf*ckers. And after the song he talked about how the next time the band comes to town, he wants to see the audience leave that delightful Canadian politeness at the door and behave like it's a rock show.

I thought the crowd was pretty dead most of the night. The seats definitely contributed to that and for whatever reason, people around me for the most part just sat or stood stone still, even during Spiders.

what'd you think of the new song?

also, was Faggy McGee there?

No Faggy. Maybe one of those others we were discussing...:pirate

As for the new song, it's definitely on the ballad end of things. But I liked it. I don't know how else to put it, but to me it had a "bright" melody and that goes along with the lyrics. I guess you could say Beatlesque, which is obviously a pretty generic description. There's no big solos or anything by Nels, just mostly Jeff on an acoustic with the other guys supporting him. Like some of the other new ones, if this makes any sense, I'm maybe more impressed by their arrangements than the actual songs themselves at this point. Whatever you might think of the lyrics or the tempo, I think they just *sound* great with the whole band interacting and playing off one another.

I tried to scrawl down some lyrics, but just caught a few of them...

The first verse is something like:

You try to sing a song

Sing what you feel

Don't let anyone say it's wrong

You try to paint a picture

Not sure which colors belong

Paint what you feel

And then the chorus starts off something like:

There's a light, one light

Inside of you

I'm probably butchering the lyrics, but I was caught a little off guard by it being the very first song, so like Impossible Germany, once I get another listen to it, I'll have a better idea. Maybe tomorrow night...:thumbup

Hey, thought I'd make a quick post...though I've mostly been a lurker, haha.

Great show tonight, though I think Jeff really kind of saved it for alot of the audience members (myself included) when he basically guilted everyone into standing/moving to the front. I hadn't heard the new songs before - Impossible Germany is beautiful. They're one of my favourite bands live and on record and despite that, the room being so dark + the sitting was really starting to make me feel pretty tired, anyway, it picked up quickly after that, so it's all good.

In any case I have some pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/theplot/sets/72157594191484116/

And here's a video of Jeff's little speech about participation and Canadian politeness: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...50138C7217B9378

Enjoy!

No Faggy. Maybe one of those others we were discussing...:pirate

As for the new song, it's definitely on the ballad end of things. But I liked it. I don't know how else to put it, but to me it had a "bright" melody and that goes along with the lyrics. I guess you could say Beatlesque, which is obviously a pretty generic description. There's no big solos or anything by Nels, just mostly Jeff on an acoustic with the other guys supporting him. Like some of the other new ones, if this makes any sense, I'm maybe more impressed by their arrangements than the actual songs themselves at this point. Whatever you might think of the lyrics or the tempo, I think they just *sound* great with the whole band interacting and playing off one another.

I tried to scrawl down some lyrics, but just caught a few of them...

The first verse is something like:

You try to sing a song

Sing what you feel

You try to paint a picture

Not sure which colors belong

Paint what you feel

And then the chorus starts off something like:

Inside of you

I'm probably butchering the lyrics, but I was caught a little off guard by it being the very first song, so like Impossible Germany, once I get another listen to it, I'll have a better idea. Maybe tomorrow night...:thumbup

I was caught off guard too last nite...they got on stage and moved into the song right away. The song is gorgeous and rich in sound moving in and out of minor keys. I liked it right away...reminds me when I first heard Muzzle of Bees for the first time. I can't wait to hear it again. I keep pinching myself that Wilco can continue to write beautiful songs.

Hey, thought I'd make a quick post...though I've mostly been a lurker, haha.

Great show tonight, though I think Jeff really kind of saved it for alot of the audience members (myself included) when he basically guilted everyone into standing/moving to the front. I hadn't heard the new songs before - Impossible Germany is beautiful. They're one of my favourite bands live and on record and despite that, the room being so dark + the sitting was really starting to make me feel pretty tired, anyway, it picked up quickly after that, so it's all good.

In any case I have some pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/theplot/sets/72157594191484116/

And here's a video of Jeff's little speech about participation and Canadian politeness: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...50138C7217B9378

Enjoy!

Those are great pictures! You must have been standing right by me by the looks of them.

What a great show! :thumbup

Note to Jeff: when you start a concert with a mellow song, you set the tone for the whole show and people will respond accordingly. Rock the shit out of the place with high energy numbers for at least the first six songs, and you may get the response you are seeking.

Just a thought.

Setlist looks great, by the way...you lucky motherf*ckers.

Yikes. I feel a lot better about missing this one for Mr. Costello now. Not only does the mood seem not-quite-fun, but the set is an amalgamation of last year's Buff show and the previous year's T.O. show that I saw, the three new songs notwithstanding.

the new song was a fine opener and led nicely into "... break your heart"

however - open letter to tweedy -

i'm a yank seeing the band for the third time in a year. i too found the crowd a bit reserved, was briefly amused at your scolding of the audience, but ultimately found your remarks condescending, even contemptuous. hey jeffrey! if you find the crowd lacking in enthusiasm, look to yourself first. you walk out, interacting with no one, either on stage or off playing 6 or so songs without so much as a nod to the audience. what's your job anyway? show up and plug in? then the audience is supposed to bow down and worship? get over yourself, work up a sweat and earn the enthusiasm. that's why you're getting the big bucks. think springsteen has ever had to insult a crowd into activity? you do your job and the crowd reaction will take care of itself. remember jeffrey, you're the guy who told an audience member on kicking television "now be quiet".

lastly jeffrey, while you're working up some respect for your audience - don't ever apologize for playing new material. IF i pay for future concerts and i keep hearing the same stuff done in the same old way, then you're a nostalgia act and i'll quit coming. for now though, you're the greatest.

"the new song was a fine opener and led nicely into "... break your heart" however - open letter to tweedy - i'm a yank seeing the band for the third time in a year. i too found the crowd a bit reserved, was briefly amused at your scolding of the audience, but ultimately found your remarks condescending, even contemptuous. hey jeffrey! if you find the crowd lacking in enthusiasm, look to yourself first. you walk out, interacting with no one, either on stage or off playing 6 or so songs without so much as a nod to the audience. what's your job anyway? show up and plug in? then the audience is supposed to bow down and worship? get over yourself, work up a sweat and earn the enthusiasm. that's why you're getting the big bucks. think springsteen has ever had to insult a crowd into activity? you do your job and the crowd reaction will take care of itself. remember jeffrey, you're the guy who told an audience member on kicking television "now be quiet".

lastly jeffrey, while you're working up some respect for your audience - don't ever apologize for playing new material. IF i pay for future concerts and i keep hearing the same stuff done in the same old way, then you're a nostalgia act and i'll quit coming. for now though, you're the greatest."

That's a pretty funny first post, but I hear what you're saying. Truth is the band's sound the last three albums has gotten less and less rocking, out-of-your seat, hell-raising. That Wilco peaked nearly ten years ago. And that's okay, I like every era, but probably 75% of the last three albums and what I've heard of the next one don't scream of high energy crowd response. As far as Jeff's stage presence, yes he can be off-putting at times, with the silent first hour treatment. Maybe they should start opening with "Dreamer In My Dreams," that would definitely set a tone for the night. - Greg

Is anyone calling this the "Green Striped Blazer Tour" yet?

I am poking fun, but I do kinda secretly (not so secretly anymore, I suppose) like how Jeff seems to obsess on one clothing item for 2-3 months at a time. For the longest time it was the black jacket zipped all the way up. I guess that's not "summer" enough. :-)

Silly post, I know. Wish I coulda made it up to Canada to hear the new song, be called a motherf*cker and see the green striped blazer in person.

-Laura