7/7/06 -- Toronto, Ontario

Hey, thought I'd make a quick post...though I've mostly been a lurker, haha.

Great show tonight, though I think Jeff really kind of saved it for alot of the audience members (myself included) when he basically guilted everyone into standing/moving to the front. I hadn't heard the new songs before - Impossible Germany is beautiful. They're one of my favourite bands live and on record and despite that, the room being so dark + the sitting was really starting to make me feel pretty tired, anyway, it picked up quickly after that, so it's all good.

In any case I have some pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/theplot/sets/72157594191484116/

And here's a video of Jeff's little speech about participation and Canadian politeness: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...50138C7217B9378

Enjoy!

on behalf of those who couldn't be there, thanks for your pics and video! :cheers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes. I feel a lot better about missing this one for Mr. Costello now. Not only does the mood seem not-quite-fun, but the set is an amalgamation of last year's Buff show and the previous year's T.O. show that I saw, the three new songs notwithstanding.

i was with you at the costello/toussaint show...probably the only show that would stand in my way of missing a chance at seeing wilco live. :yes

Wow - Those photos are fantastic. Thank you for sharing... mine were from up in the balcony and really grainy. I made a vacation of the trip from DC and took along my sister for the show. Loved Toronto and surrounding areas. Jeff's comments about politeness up there are so true. I really never heard anyone beeping their horns downtown and we kept commenting how quiet it was despite the crowds.

As for the show. I loved the new song and the way Walken is shaping up. First time to hear Impossible Germany and I thought it was sort of akward sounding or something.

I was expecting the sound at Massey Hall to be amazing (I think I read that somewhere) but thought at least from the balcony it was a little muddled? Loud? I donno.

And although I can usually find the humor in Jeff's bantor I was actually sad after this show b/c of it. Maybe it is because I traveled so far and was trying to introduce my sister to it. I've just seen so many other shows where he seems so thrilled to be with us.

The energy was low but the seats and slow song opener and dark room as others have commented really influenced that.

Whoever suggested eating b'fats at Frans - thanks. It was super yummy!

Just got back from my Wilco tour to Toronto and London so my post is late. Have to agree with the Tweed and others who posted - lack of energy in Toronto made for a saggy show till Jeff called out the crowd in the best Chicago tradition. I for one never ever stay in a seat. We where at the top of the house rockin above the last row. In London we were at the stage. Great venue. Great crowd. Memorable show.

Canadian politeness? Its refreshing and unnerving at the same time. I think I heard one horn blow the whole time I was in Toronto, and they were blowing at me for jaywalking! In London the city seemed , well... closed or something, even though there was a big fest going on, a bit too quiet for a city with nothing to hide. I did waste an hour at the Bad Temper bar talking to a guy who just got out of jail for a domestic infraction so I guess there is at least one Canadian whos' not too polite.

Also, wonderful farm country between London and Fort Erie, think I'll move there.

think springsteen has ever had to insult a crowd into activity?

Great first post. I have to agree, by and large, with most of what you say but in response to above, yes he does/have, and he did it regularly on the "Seeger" tour.

Last time I went to Massey Hall and stood up for a Wilco show (how I got to be the mook), Jeff ended up holding a "standing/sitting" vote and sitting won so maybe that had something to do with it too.

It will be interesting to see what Ottawa Bluesfest holds. By the time he comes on Saturday night, the place will be packed with the least reserved audience he will have seen in a long time (ie drunken louts). I have seriously mixed feelings about this.....

Just got back from my Wilco tour to Toronto and London so my post is late. Have to agree with the Tweed and others who posted - lack of energy in Toronto made for a saggy show till Jeff called out the crowd in the best Chicago tradition. I for one never ever stay in a seat. We where at the top of the house rockin above the last row. In London we were at the stage. Great venue. Great crowd. Memorable show.

Canadian politeness? Its refreshing and unnerving at the same time. I think I heard one horn blow the whole time I was in Toronto, and they were blowing at me for jaywalking! In London the city seemed , well... closed or something, even though there was a big fest going on, a bit too quiet for a city with nothing to hide. I did waste an hour at the Bad Temper bar talking to a guy who just got out of jail for a domestic infraction so I guess there is at least one Canadian whos' not too polite.

Also, wonderful farm country between London and Fort Erie, think I'll move there.

Great first post. I have to agree, by and large, with most of what you say but in response to above, yes he does/have, and he did it regularly on the "Seeger" tour.

Last time I went to Massey Hall and stood up for a Wilco show (how I got to be the mook), Jeff ended up holding a "standing/sitting" vote and sitting won so maybe that had something to do with it too.

It will be interesting to see what Ottawa Bluesfest holds. By the time he comes on Saturday night, the place will be packed with the least reserved audience he will have seen in a long time (ie drunken louts). I have seriously mixed feelings about this.....

not to get into a pissing contest but, i saw the seeger tour in cleveland and was so surprised as to its infectiousness, i also went saratoga. at both places, the admitedly syncophantic, adoring crowd had no problem getting with the program. the seeger disc left me a bit cold, but the live presentation is totally engaging.

Truth is the band's sound the last three albums has gotten less and less rocking, out-of-your seat, hell-raising. That Wilco peaked nearly ten years ago. And that's okay, I like every era, but probably 75% of the last three albums and what I've heard of the next one don't scream of high energy crowd response.

True dat. Wilco songs have gravitated towards playing complex and subtle songs but that isn't something that's going to go over amazingly well at a big show. I don't know about the first six songs, but there's something to be said for the first few songs being high energy and then once you have the crowd going you can mix in the quieter material. The problem of course is Wilco doesn't have a lot of uptempo new songs and have a pretty anemic sounding rhythm section which normally helps keep an audience excited (something to do with sound dynamics and the body's response to loud noise and especially low frequency sound). So as Wilco has gone towards subtlety their audience has changed along with them and now most seem to be the sort who like to sit at shows. File this under you've made your bed now you have to lie in it, etc.

I thought the show was great and thought they'd have a really hard time topping it in London but they did. New song sounded great, Walken was especially good I thought and A Shot In The Arm sounded massive. For everyone that asked me for pictures at the show I will post them in the next few days.

"The problem of course is Wilco doesn't have a lot of uptempo new songs and have a pretty anemic sounding rhythm section which normally helps keep an audience excited"

anemic sounding rhythm section? I've heard it all now...eff me.

The problem of course is Wilco doesn't have a lot of uptempo new songs and have a pretty anemic sounding rhythm section which normally helps keep an audience excited (something to do with sound dynamics and the body's response to loud noise and especially low frequency sound). So as Wilco has gone towards subtlety their audience has changed along with them and now most seem to be the sort who like to sit at shows. File this under you've made your bed now you have to lie in it, etc.

:no

:ermm

:unsure

...Jeff said, "Is this a Sunday night or something? Is it the seats? What do we have to do?" And shortly thereafter, something like, "If we don't see more energy out of you motherf*ckers, we just won't come back out," which sounds bad but I think was said at least partly in jest.

Anyway, pretty much everybody got shamed into standing up after that. So they launched into Jesus, etc., and during the singalong part, Jeff apologized for calling the crowd motherf*ckers. And after the song he talked about how the next time the band comes to town, he wants to see the audience leave that delightful Canadian politeness at the door and behave like it's a rock show.

I thought the crowd was pretty dead most of the night. The seats definitely contributed to that and for whatever reason, people around me for the most part just sat or stood stone still, even during Spiders.

This isn't a Canadian phenomenon, it's a Wilco phenomenon. Even in NYC/environs, Wilco fans won't stand up. I don't get it. They're the only band I like where fans take a seat. What's the deal??

-Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Does Nels Cline have Cerebral palsy? I noticed at the show, which, by the was was incredible and Nels is a fantastic guitarist, and Ive noiced him in the past videos with Wilco and solo that he seems to shake and twitch alot, which seem to help, not hurt, his guitar skills, but I was just wondering if he's playing a character, or has a nervous disorder, or a speed or coke addiction or what? If asnyone has any insight... I'd be curious to know.