I'm sure your analysis is bang on....as I said I haven't watched that many matches in the last couple of years. Nadal just seems more charismatic, that's all I really meant. I know Federer is a stronger player, by a pretty good margin. I guess I should watch more, maybe he really is the best ever.

Yeah Nadal seems like a pretty chill guy from interviews and such, I'd agree he has the edge in charisma. Either way, if these two guys continue to be the face of tennis it should be good for the game.

Guest Jules
Nadal reminds me of Trogdor the Burninator with that one thick arm of his.

Nadal looks like Trogdor the Burninator.

So, Sir S., are going to remind us of this on July 10 of every year?

Guest Jules
Is that for real?

EDIT: holy shit, it's even in this thread. My world is crumbling around me.

I just couldn't believe it was the same date. Had to be done.

I initially thought this was a new thread yesterday, and I was ready to jump all over Mountain Bed for his incorrect facts in the initial post. Thankfully, I noticed it was from 2006 and spared myself the embarrassment.

• 11 months later...

Well now...after what I would say was one of the most epic matches I've ever seen (or will ever see) Nadal finally bested Roger on the grass. Even in defeat the guy was just incredible - every time he had his back against the wall he'd serve an ace or unleash The Forehand of God. I think he faced like 20 break points and only was broken 4 times (twice in the second set).

He now shares Borg's record, so that's pretty cool. Nadal has most definitely improved his game since I first started this thread (much greater velocity on the serve, and that killer backhand! 15 backhand winners today). Since he's beat RF on both clay and grass in the last month is he now #1?

note to Sir Stewie: it's time for the Trogdor comment again! :cheers

Though it pretty much took up my entire Sunday, a Sunday formerly devoted to swimming in an icy cold New Hampshire river, that duel was the single most exciting and beautifully played match I

I loved tennis since like forever. I grew up watching Borg, Vilas, Connors, McEnroe, Lendl, etc... I played tennis myself a lot (from 12 to about 20).

I never ceased to follow how tennis evolved since. And it evolved a lot. Watching Federer and Nadal play today is amazing. Tennis looks like ping pong now! :)

I also was curious enough to watch older matches on YouTube, with Rod Laver, John Newcombe, Arthur Ashe... and they were amazing as well.

I wish I could see how Bill Tilden was playing, too. He certainly was a kind of giant of his times. And the French mousquetaires. :)

A few players put the level high each decade:

in the 60s: Rod Laver

70s: Jimmy Connors, Bjorn Borg

80s: John McEnroe, Ivan Lendl, Boris Becker

90s: Jim Courier, Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, honorable mention to Stefan Edberg (who was an artist, like Gerulaitis in the 70s-80s)

00s: Gustavo Kuerten, Roger Federer, Andy Roddick, Rafael Nadal, Marat Safin

and the latest big revelation to me: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga - who I think may be the most dangerous rival for Nadal in the US Open next fall.

Federer is a dominator, but somewhat boring at the same time. (but of course his matches with Nadal on clay have been phenomenal) He's sort of like Michael Schumacher - he's the best but he's almost a bit of a robot. Nadal, on the other hand, is all fire and passion -- a much more exciting player to watch, at least on my television.

Very harsh on Federer, the only reason that he seemed so boring in the past is that there was nobody near his level for three years. Far from being a robot, he is trying to introduce some elements of serve and volleying into his game to keep it fresh and when you see him against Nadal, he just looks a very classy player as opposed to Nadal who just belts the ball and himself around the court.

I do think that Borg as the best ever is impossible to dispute, mainly because he retired so early he didn't have a bad period

I do think that Borg as the best ever is impossible to dispute, mainly because he retired so early he didn't have a bad period.

The funny thing to think is that the way he played then, would see him defeated as early as the first round of any tournament today. He wouldn't even win a female tournament. Venus Williams would have kicked his ass. :)

• 11 months later...

OK, here we go again! :lol 15 major titles - a new record. 50 aces in one match! This guy just continues to blow my mind. Another fantastic final. That last set was one for all time.

I'll say it now - this guy is the best.

I feel super bad for Roddick. If it weren't for Federer, Roddick would have quite a few Slams under his belt. And perhaps this Wimbledon right here will be the closest Roddick will get to a Slam for awhile. But yea, I rooted for Federer today, and I'm happy to see him pull out the win.

I'll say it now - this guy is the best.

I've been saying that since about Slam 11 or 12. I think it is totally proven today and this year, though.

I do feel really bad for Andy, though. That was a fantastic match, it's a shame someone had to lose. Congratulations to them both for playing such an outstanding two weeks.