Thanks to some little ones in my family, I've been seeing some summer blockbusters (which I'm usually not a big fan of).

Pirates of the Carribean 2 was very enjoyable....mostly because of Johnny Depp. Personally, I really liked the comical edge throughout. The action scenes were mostly fun and creative....and visually, it was perfect. I can't wait to see next year's 3rd film.

When I first heard months ago of a Rocky 6 (to be called "Rocky Balboa"), I was TOTALLY turned off, as the last couple Rocky films were horrendous (imho). And Rocky 3, though slightly entertaining, is mostly fluf.

But I'll be damned if the new trailer didn't give me goosebumps! The Rocky music starts (da-da-da-da-da....) and we see an older, pudgier, wearier Rocky. The trailer has the FEEL of the original Rocky....it looks more refrained and simpler and human. Of course, it will probably suck....but there appears to be some hope it may be worth seeing.

Is Ivan Drago in this one? It is my viewpoint that he should have received his own spinoff film franchise, ala Red Sonja starring his on-screen handler Brigitte Nielson, where he fought Clubber Lang, Thunderlips and The Master Blaster from 'Mad Max III: Beyond Thunderdome'...at the same time, w/ world peace at stake.

"You honestly cannot understand a single word coming out of Stallone's mouth in that trailer. it's worse than ever."

I caught most everything he said. Stallone has never enunciated well at all....and that's always bugged me about the Rocky movies.

But I was more impressed with the tone of Rocky Balboa. Don't ya think it looks diferrent than the crap we saw in Rocky 3-5? I'm not saying it's gonna be great like Rocky 1, but it gave me chills.

I'm way more interested in a Rocky sequel than a Pirates of the Caribbean sequel.

Really? You didn't like the first one? We rented it after all the brouhaha and really enjoyed it. Heard the sequel is another fine summertime popcorn flick.

Hey, Eric, while I have you and we're talking sequels, have you heard anything about another installment in the wonderful Charlie's Angels franchise? You seem tied in and all, so I thought i'd check.

Just saw the new Pirates this weekend and I thought it was very entertaining. Now I have to see the last one next year. :)

I may be in the minority here, but I thought Pirates 2 sucked. I paid 9 bucks to see the midnight showing on Friday morning and felt like I wasted a night and some cash. The little comedy there was in it was juvenile at best and the movie was totally unbelievable as a follow-up to the first one.

For one, the first movie, while not very realistic, didn't seem cheesy-fake. In the second movie, I can remember at least 3 scenes where everyone in the crew should have been dead from falling (especially Sparrow's fall through 5 bridges from a height of what I presumed to be roughly 10 stories). I wasn't looking for some historical pirate tale, but c'mon...

Secondly, I really REALLY hate movies that leave a cliffhanger in the method this film does. It actually made me NOT want to see the final installment of the series. I sat bored through the first 2 hours of this film and when things finally started to get exciting and the plot FINALLY stopped standing still and started moving forward..."to be continued."

I would give the first Pirates movie a 7/10 and this one a 2/10. Such an awful follow-up to a solid original.

I walked out of Pirates I. And walked into The Magdelene Sisters. One of the finest filmgoing decisions I've ever made.

definitely a good choice. :yes

i've heard mixed reviews about "pirates 2" my cousin thought it was entertaining, but they could have cut out at least 30 minutes of it...and a good friend of mine (fellow film student) said it was painful to watch.

personally, i got bored with the first one after about 20 minutes or so, so i've never seen it all the way through.

I refused to go, we went to see The War Tapes instead...

Actually I kind of liked the first one, but only saw it on video. II will also be viewed on video. Had they dragged Keith Richards into it for most of the film (which I guess he is only slightly in it) I would have gone.

LouieB

Some may think it boring, but I think it's very fascinating how the arts (in this case, movies) hit people differently. Sometimes there's no explaining....it just works or doesn't.

For example, I think all movies with Julia Roberts in them suck (except Mystic Pizza...decent movie). And Napolean Dynamite may be the most over-rated movie EVER. And Shrek was a good animated movie, but pales to all Pixar films. Rocky 1 is brilliant. The rest blow.....except for the montage in Rocky 3 with "No Easy Way Out" playing. And while I loved the old Willy Wonka......I also really like Burton's vision of the old child story. Disney's Peter Pan may be the best cartoon ever. Jack Black is funny. Adam Sandler isn't. The guy that did Winnie the Poo's voice and the Jungle Book snake is awesome. The guy that sang "Hakuna Matata" in Lion King I want to blow up with a stick of dynamite. Vincent Gallo's Buffalo 66 is an all-time classic. You Can Count on Me (Laura Linney) was a fantastic little movie. Titanic made me wanna puke. I'm totally ok with...and actually like....the sweetness of It's A Wonderful Life, Mary Poppins and Sound of Music. I also love and am fascinated by the dark nature of American Beauty and Mystic River. If you haven't seen Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder, you should. And while Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee and Steven Siegal and ALL horror movies do NOTHING for me, I love Eastwood's Dirty Harry, spaghetti westerns and every bit of quirkiness in Coen brother movies.

So I can't explain it, but to me, the Spiderman movies work. So does Batman Begins. Superman Returns doesn't. King Kong is way too long.

And both "Pirates" movies are entertaining, fun fantasies that I loved every minute of.

I may be in the minority here, but I thought Pirates 2 sucked.

Secondly, I really REALLY hate movies that leave a cliffhanger in the method this film does. It actually made me NOT want to see the final installment of the series.

I heard it wasn't very good. Didn't catch the first one until it had been out on DVD for a year, so I might have to continue the tradition. And I totally agree with the cliffhanger thing. For some reason, they make me lose interest entirely. I still haven't seen the third Matrix movie.

Shrek pales to all Pixar films. I loved the old Willy Wonka. Disney's Peter Pan may be the best cartoon ever. Jack Black is funny. Adam Sandler isn't (but he's a decent actor). The guy that did Winnie the Poo's voice and the Jungle Book snake is awesome. The guy that sang "Hakuna Matata" in Lion King I want to blow up with a stick of dynamite. I'm totally ok with...and actually like....the sweetness of It's A Wonderful Life, Mary Poppins and Sound of Music. I also love and am fascinated by the dark nature of American Beauty and Mystic River. If you haven't seen Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder, you should.

I did a slight bit of editing, but I very much agree with many of the things you said here.

Is Ivan Drago in this one? It is my viewpoint that he should have received his own spinoff film franchise, ala Red Sonja starring his on-screen handler Brigitte Nielson, where he fought Clubber Lang, Thunderlips and The Master Blaster from 'Mad Max III: Beyond Thunderdome'...at the same time, w/ world peace at stake.

Best. idea. ever. :worship

Some may think it boring, but I think it's very fascinating how the arts (in this case, movies) hit people differently. Sometimes there's no explaining....it just works or doesn't.

For example, I think all movies with Julia Roberts in them suck (except Mystic Pizza...decent movie). And Napolean Dynamite may be the most over-rated movie EVER. And Shrek was a good animated movie, but pales to all Pixar films. Rocky 1 is brilliant. The rest blow.....except for the montage in Rocky 3 with "No Easy Way Out" playing. And while I loved the old Willy Wonka......I also really like Burton's vision of the old child story. Disney's Peter Pan may be the best cartoon ever. Jack Black is funny. Adam Sandler isn't. The guy that did Winnie the Poo's voice and the Jungle Book snake is awesome. The guy that sang "Hakuna Matata" in Lion King I want to blow up with a stick of dynamite. Vincent Gallo's Buffalo 66 is an all-time classic. You Can Count on Me (Laura Linney) was a fantastic little movie. Titanic made me wanna puke. I'm totally ok with...and actually like....the sweetness of It's A Wonderful Life, Mary Poppins and Sound of Music. I also love and am fascinated by the dark nature of American Beauty and Mystic River. If you haven't seen Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder, you should. And while Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee and Steven Siegal and ALL horror movies do NOTHING for me, I love Eastwood's Dirty Harry, spaghetti westerns and every bit of quirkiness in Coen brother movies.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything above ... EXCEPT the stuff in boldface. ;)

is keef really going to be in the third one? sweet! :w00t

Indeed. If ever there was a guy begging to be cast in a movie as an undead zombie-pirate type thing, Keef would be it. :lol (not that I know that's the part he is playing, but its just a hunch...)