NP for the week of 7/11 (OMG SLURPEE!!$!)

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Black Keys: Magic Potion

I was a little bit worried about listening to this after Solace's remarks, but I'm really liking this a lot - not as gentle as I thought it might be. How good a song is "Strange Desire"... great stuff...

I was a little bit worried about listening to this after Solace's remarks, but I'm really liking this a lot - not as gentle as I thought it might be. How good a song is "Strange Desire"... great stuff...

Lots of repeat listening here. Great batch of songs on this. I was also impressed at how stripped down the production is. I had some concerns - considering this is their big label debut LP - that the label might have wanted some more 'production' happening.

it is really solid, but i still would have liked just a rocker or two here. the 2nd track is really great though.

i'd def put it above thickfreakness at least, but still prefer Rubber Factory & Big Come Up.

far as i know it was recorded before they signed with Nonesuch?

Not sure about when it was recorded, but would make sense as it seems to have come out really quickly. Also, Nonesuch don't have a reputation for ruining records :)

Just coming up to finishing it again... great stuff... looking forward to the official release for sure, going to blaring out of the car speakers on my way home tonight :rock

Bit of a change of tact next:

B000FIHN02.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V66888540_.jpg

I can't decide what I think about it - some of it is really good and some of it I find a little boring....

I like all of the the clips I heard, but some of his stuff from comps I have can ramble on a little bit too long. Then again, a lot of those turntableism (sp?) albums can do that for me. Glad there are some MC's on there...the Edan/Mr. Lif track sounds tight, two of my favorite MC's du jour right now.

I'm with solace on the Cut Chemist album. It starts off really well and loses its way towards the end, and it doesn't hold up that well to repeated listens. It's much more amiable and lighter than both Shadow and RJD2 - more funtime. Try before you buy.

i'll send you a PM later ;)

lotta good records out next Tue to wait for: White Whale, Midlake, Silversun Pickups, Sleepy Jackson, NY Dolls

You rule...if it flys, i'll definitely buy. I'm semi-intrigued by the Dolls record, but it just seems it would be kind of bad.