what do you think is the best guitar (electric)

Hi there.

im new to this forum, and i really like learning about peoples setups and sound logistics.

anywho, i was wondering what your favorite electric guitar was. i think it might be interesting.

ill give you my top 2...i think...

1. fender telecaster. i have a 15 year old standard and a 34 year old deluxe

2. gibson sg w/lyre vibrola

hope this is fun.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the tone you get from an SG. Never really played a Les Paul, but there's gotta be a reason they are so popular. Certain strats I like alot. It all depends on the neck for me. For some reason, their rosewood necks never feel right to me. I need the maple neck on a strat, it has a much nicer feel.

Gretsch's and Rickenbacker's are always nice, if expensive.

I dont think I could narrow it down to 1.

I own a Les Paul... that would certainly be one.

I'd also add a nice '52 Tele in butterscotch blonde, a 72 tele thinline, an SG with vibrola and P90 pickups, and a fancy semi-hollow like an old Barney Kessel or the new Johnny A sig model. I dont much care for strats for some reason.

Just got a Gretsch Silver Jet w/ Bigsby that I am loving, having wanted one for 10 years or so. I also own a Jimmy Page Signature Les Paul that has the most unbelievable neck I have ever touched (molded from Jimmy's '59 Paul).

I used to own a 1966 Jazzmaster with the block inlays. It was my favorite guitar ever. I had to sell it about 8 years ago when times were tight. It is probably my biggest regret.

All of them: fantastic guitars.

Edited by jdlee23
Just got a Gretsch Silver Jet w/ Bigsby that I am loving, having wanted one for 10 years or so.

I used to own a 1966 Jazzmaster with the block inlays. It was my favorite guitar ever. I had to sell it about 8 years ago when times were tight. It is probably my biggest regret.

Is that Jet the one that Dave Gilmour uses on the DVD he put out here recently? If so, that's an awesome sounding guitar.

Also, I'm sorry you had to sell that Jazzmaster... those early sixties-late fifties models are super. An older gentleman who I'm friends with actually bought one of the original 58's with the gold pick guard when it came out. It cost his father $450, which he said was the most expensive thing they had bought and would buy for several years to come. He said Leo Fender actually had the guys in the factory hand-sand the fretboards down to the point where it was like playing a fretless guitar. To me, that sounds amazing, but he said a lot of guys were so un-used to the smoothness that they opted for a Strat or Tele instead. I can't imagine something being too smooth, but apparently the 58 was. In 59 Leo had them stop sanding the necks.

Personally, I love Jazzmasters and Teles. Gibsons are nice, but I love Fender tone. The Tele bridge is wonderful for anyone who bends a lot like I do, and the Jazzmaster's tone is so versatile. I can't think of two better guitars.

Edited by groselicain
Is that Jet the one that Dave Gilmour uses on the DVD he put out here recently? If so, that's an awesome sounding guitar.

Also, I'm sorry you had to sell that Jazzmaster... those early sixties-late fifties models are super. An older gentleman who I'm friends with actually bought one of the original 58's with the gold pick guard when it came out. It cost his father $450, which he said was the most expensive thing they had bought and would buy for several years to come. He said Leo Fender actually had the guys in the factory hand-sand the fretboards down to the point where it was like playing a fretless guitar. To me, that sounds amazing, but he said a lot of guys were so un-used to the smoothness that they opted for a Strat or Tele instead. I can't imagine something being too smooth, but apparently the 58 was. In 59 Leo had them stop sanding the necks.

Personally, I love Jazzmasters and Teles. Gibsons are nice, but I love Fender tone. The Tele bridge is wonderful for anyone who bends a lot like I do, and the Jazzmaster's tone is so versatile. I can't think of two better guitars.

Honestly, I'm not sure about the Gilmour guitar, I haven't seen the DVD. But, if it is new, odds are, it is the same, as most Jets have the Dynasonic pickup/Bigsby combo that mine does. I will try and post a pic of it later for ya (at work now).

I would love, love, love to get another vintage Jazzmaster. I bought my '66 in 1996 for $1400. Now, one in excellent condition with the block inlays like mine, goes for $5-6000. Too steep for me right now. Hopefully, someday soon.

Edited by jdlee23

You can't really go wrong with a basic Tele. That's what I've got (Muddy Waters model) and have been thoroughly pleased.

I'm saving my pennies for either an Epiphone Dot (ES 335 copy) or an Ibanez Artcore AS73 (similar to the Dot, but with bound neck and goofier looking F holes).

Epi Dot:

http://www.robwesley.com/guitars/Epiphone%...erry%202000.jpg

Ibanez Artcore AS73

http://www.musicfolk.com/admin/popup.php?item=339

I don't think I could tell you what the best guitar in the world is. I've owned an an American Deluxe Strat, a HH Tele, a Danelectro Pro 56 and a Rickenbacker 330. I really like the 330 and the tele the best. They are completely different but both great!

Honestly, I'm not sure about the Gilmour guitar, I haven't seen the DVD. But, if it is new, odds are, it is the same, as most Jets have the Dynasonic pickup/Bigsby combo that mine does. I will try and post a pic of it later for ya (at work now).

I would love, love, love to get another vintage Jazzmaster. I bought my '66 in 1996 for $1400. Now, one in excellent condition with the block inlays like mine, goes for $5-6000. Too steep for me right now. Hopefully, someday soon.

if it's a cbs-era Jazzmaster, it's probably worth around 2k-3k. pre-cbs are worth 5-8k, depending on how original the parts are, the wear on it, etc.

Jazzmasters are brilliant. my dream is to own a '59.

there are too many great guitars.

i personally love gretsch's black falcon. shit does it sound good.

its huge and heavy but the sound makes you feel like it's coming out of you.

way too expensive though.

also, you can't go wrong with SG's. you just have to know which one to get your hands on.

and of course the ES-335.

if it's a cbs-era Jazzmaster, it's probably worth around 2k-3k. pre-cbs are worth 5-8k, depending on how original the parts are, the wear on it, etc.

Jazzmasters are brilliant. my dream is to own a '59.

Eh, like I said, it was a '66 model, therefore, not pre-CBS. And I don't know where you are shopping for guitars, but a 1966 Jazzmaster with block inlays and the bound neck in near mint condition would be hard to get for less than $4500. I have seen a few for less, but those don't have all original parts or they're pretty beat. Most I have seen (which isn't many because they are pretty rare) have been about $5-6K.

Edited by jdlee23
Eh, like I said, it was a '66 model, therefore, not pre-CBS. And I don't know where you are shopping for guitars, but a 1966 Jazzmaster with block inlays and the bound neck in near mint condition would be hard to get for less than $4500. I have seen a few for less, but those don't have all original parts or they're pretty beat. Most I have seen (which isn't many because they are pretty rare) have been about $5-6K.

I thought the bound necks and block inlays were CBS work.

I thought the bound necks and block inlays were CBS work.

Right. Like I said, 'NOT pre-CBS'. Sorry for the silly semantics. It's just that Jazzmasters are normally referred to as either pre-CBS or just a Jazzmaster. As, like you said, pre-CBS Jazzmasters are generally considered quite special and rare, a collector's item if you will. People don't usually refer to a CBS-era. From that point on, it is just a Jazzmaster.

:cheers

Edited by jdlee23

Anyone own a recent model Les Paul? I've played several, and the neck to me just doesn't feel right. I have a '76 Deluxe, and the neck is just sweet. I like the wide, low frets, and these newer models that I've played all have smaller, higher frets. I just got a Musician's Friend catalog in the mail today, and there's just so many Les Paul models these days that I wouldn't know where to start if I wanted a new one. Does anyone know if any of the newer models more closely resemble the 70s-style necks?

Well, first off, I wouldn't order any guitar from Musician's Friend. Check around, there are so many stores that not only give you much better support, but also much better prices. I can recommend The Music Zoo in New York. That is where I just got my Gretsch Silver Jet and they were great. Here is a link:

The Music Zoo

On the subject of newer Les Pauls, I have a Jimmy Page Signature that has the greatest neck of any guitar I have ever played, it was molded from Jimmy's '59. It is not the newest one that cost like $7k, but the one from the late 90's. Also, the '59 Reissues are amazing players, but also very expensive. I don't know how much you are looking to spend.

Well, first off, I wouldn't order any guitar from Musician's Friend. Check around, there are so many stores that not only give you much better support, but also much better prices. I can recommend The Music Zoo in New York. That is where I just got my Gretsch Silver Jet and they were great. Here is a link:

The Music Zoo

On the subject of newer Les Pauls, I have a Jimmy Page Signature that has the greatest neck of any guitar I have ever played, it was molded from Jimmy's '59. It is not the newest one that cost like $7k, but the one from the late 90's. Also, the '59 Reissues are amazing players, but also very expensive. I don't know how much you are looking to spend.

Oh, I'm not looking for a new one right now, but I'm just curious in general about the necks of the newer Pauls. I wouldn't buy any of the newer Pauls I've played because of the skinny little frets. I'm sure there are exceptions amonst the numerous models, but you can't really tell unless you can get your hands on them.

I don't know if this picture adequately illustrates what I'm talking about, but see how the frets on my Paul are wide and low? The newer Pauls I've played have frets that aren't as wide and are crowned, rather than flat. I guess different people like different frets, but I can't see why anyone would want skinny little frets on a Les Paul.

0000545pj3.jpg