7/12/06 -- Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Yeah, I think its easy for a fan to take their massive catalog for granted. Sure, some songs get hit much more often: Spiders, Via Chicago, SHot In The Arm, Muzzle of Bees, Kingpin. But its cause they work so well live. WHen I see the lists I tend not to be impressed at first and then I realize its only because I know all of the songs. Everytime I have seen them it was great just to let it happen.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd give my [fill in the blank] to see any damn show, even if it did have a short setlist and some technical difficulties!!! You're all lucky to be there.

Thanks for the report which does ease the pain somewhat of not being there.....

Now if they'd put the rest of the Duluth show up on Roadcase!

:cheers

Frankly, I couldn't believe they didn't play Heavy Metal Drummer. On the landing? In the summer??

That's exactly what I was thinking! I think it was a curfew thing. Though, then again, I think they're calling it "Alderney Event Plaza" more than "Alderney Landing" now.

The curfew was more annoying than any technical difficulties or this supposed sub-par set-list (which I thought was fantastic). It may have been my first Wilco live show, but it was fantastic and I loved every minute of it.

At 11:07pm (7 minutes past curfew, they launched into Spiders at 10:59), Jeff shouted to the crowd in his farewell "We have to go. YOU have to go!". We Nova Scotians were sad to see them go, but I'm certain we enjoyed every minute of it.

Jeff's got stress fractures in his legs from jogging. Maybe he can't do a full-bore show yet? I'm actually quite impressed he's doing the tour of Canada at all with this fractures. Quite the trooper, no?

When I saw them in London, I knew they were only doing about 21 songs, and they were 21 kick-ass songs, especially excited to hear "She's a Jar" because A) it's so beautiful, and B ) I love how he and John blend their vocals together so precisely, skillfully. Just love it.

And Paul? I didn't read any criticism into your post. You're reporting what happened, and thank you for that, and for all you do to keep us updated on what happens at the shows we can't get to. Enjoy the rest of the tour! See you ... sometime maybe, um, The Wrens at Little Brothers in Columbus, OH? :yes Jen and I will definitely be there! :wave

Jeff's got stress fractures in his legs from jogging. Maybe he can't do a full-bore show yet? I'm actually quite impressed he's doing the tour of Canada at all with this fractures. Quite the trooper, no?

Well, that explains the question I posed in the Montreal thread. 'Twas really just an excuse to post those pictures, to be honest!

Don't I know you from last.fm, Wendy?

http://www.herald.ns.ca/Entertainment/515848.html

Stephen Cooke had a pretty good review of the show in the paper.

The curfew was a bummer but I didn't really even mind. As someone who hasn't seen Wilco before I was knocked out. The noise freakouts and jazz excursions were so well done and the new songs sound wonderful.

I think Tweedy launching into the solo in "At Least That's What You Said" was my big highlight (among others).

dylan only does about 15 nowadays..

Okay, I was exaggerating to make a point. Fact is, there's a big difference between a 20-song set and a 26-27 song set...about 30%, to be exact.

My wife even commented on how short the show seemed last time we went to see them. I mean, if that's what they want to do, it's their choice, but hell, Bruce Cockburn does a 20-song set, and he's like 60 years old...not 30-something.

I did see a stand with a sets of mics on it. The show was definately being taped. There might have even been a second set of mics on the pole. We can only hope the recording worked out and that the taper will be kind enough to share. I haven't given up hope yet!

A late comment - saw Wilco twice in July , in Dartmouth and Ottawa - different set lists but both shows were absolutley incredible. Agree with comment of dead head types who follow them around - ENJOY!! - don't anlayze and critique - same old boring doesn't apply to those folks in Dartmouth, Freddie, Montreal, Quebec City, Ottawa, London, Toronto.....highlight in Dartmouth - Jeff leading 'Airline to Heaven", watching this slow moving train,pull out of Alderney with a smile on his face - and then commented on it at the end of the song as the train was leaving...very Woodie and appropriate...Hesitating Beauty also a highlight ( for my wife)

In Ottawa - Jeff gesturing towards the seated masses and emberassing them (good naturedly) by saying that he didn't know so many Wilco fan were in wheel chairs (very respectful to those disbaled in attendance) - in the end , got them up to ?? Jesus Etc ?? For myself, as an Ottawa native - being able to see the Peace Tower during War On War....Ottawa is a great town. New songs were terrific, Nels/Glenn/John/Mike /Pat all great and having fun.......

First posting - some cool comments - really enjoy hearing about set lists from other towns.

• 1 month later...

I just posted this recording on the ViaChicago tracker... enjoy.

Wilco

2006-07-12

Alderney Landing

Dartmouth, NS, Canada

Neumann KM140's~>Aerco Pre~>Sony PCM-M1

disc1

1. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

2. War On War

3. new song (Impossible Germany)

4. Handshake Drugs

5. A Shot In The Arm

6. Via Chicago

7. new song (What Light)

8. The Late Greats

9. At Least That's What You Said

10. Jesus, Etc.

11. Walken

12. Theologians

13. I'm The Man Who Loves You

14. Misunderstood

15. Hummingbird

disc2

Encore 1:

16. Airline To Heaven

17. Hesitating Beauty

18. Kingpin

19. California Stars

Encore 2:

20. Spiders (Kidsmoke)

**recorded FOB/DFC

**recorded by MKHstudios

**this show took place in between a ferry landing and a set of train tracks of which both were active. a few times through this recording you can hear a low ohm rumble of the ferry. we were also treated to a freight train that passed within 40 yards of the stage during Airline to Heaven.