The case against Sufjan Stevens

This is intriguing... I like the fella, but no reason not to read this:

Like most recovering record collectors, indie rock snobs, and pop culture junkies, my first encounter with Sufjan Stevens was entirely pleasant. Wandering around downtown on a lazy Saturday, I went into a local record shop where the proprietor was playing Greetings from Michigan: The Great Lakes State, enthusing that it was like Stereolab meets Beck. While there isn't that great of a gap between those two extremes, I understood what he was getting at
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is no random music writer, that is Stephen Thomas Erlewine - whose opinions have pointed me to buying my first Gram Parsons and Uncle Tupelo.

While I love Sufjan's stuff, I can see some of Stephen's points...

that's too bad, it's a stunning mix of Elliott meets Nick Drake sorta

i genuinely disagree w/ Erlewine quite often tho, so no big surprise.

you've read his digs on Bright Eyes i'm sure Dan?

Seven Swans is definitely my favorite out of all of them.

I see where he is coming from on some of his points, but there's too much about Sufjan for me to love. I love the music, I love his lyrics, I love the way he handles Christianity...it's good to me.

that's too bad, it's a stunning mix of Elliott meets Nick Drake sorta

i genuinely disagree w/ Erlewine quite often tho, so no big surprise.

you've read his digs on Bright Eyes i'm sure Dan?

Yeah, his reviews of the last two albums were hilarious. He's got some kind of vendetta against Coberst.

As for Sufjan, I kind of enjoy him but I can't envision a circumstance in which I'd care about anything he releases in the future (aside from an Iowa album if he gets that far). Or, for that matter, a circumstance in which I'd want to listen to one of his previous albums. I'm not sure why, but I'm very tired of him and his cutesy shit.

I tend to agree with this guy, actually.

Maybe his states project will have more appeal when he tackles the really "tough" issues like statehood for DC and Puerto Rico. Only 48 more albums to go until we get to those gems, baby!! :yawn

while i have grown a bit tired of Sufjan lately (dunno if i'll even bother buying The Avalanche), dude is still majorly talented... that and i still listen to Seven Swans quite often, even if just like 6-7 tracks.

the backlash against Sufjan happened a lot quicker than i expected ;)

people will say the same thing about The Arcade Fire after their new album as well

people will say the same thing about The Arcade Fire after their new album as well

I'm sick of them, too. Of course I listened to their record way, way too much so that one's my fault. I'm scared that their new one will be a giant disappointment, but I'm hopeful. Is that out this fall or next year?

Heck, I was saying stuff like that after their first one. :stunned

Never understood what all the fuss was about. :no

Heck, I was saying stuff like that after their first one. :stunned

Never understood what all the fuss was about. :no

did you ever see them live?

i didn't "get it" either until i saw them live, and the 2 times since then only confirmed my thoughts. easily one of the best new bands i've seen live in years. last time i got that feeling from seeing a new band live was when i saw At The Drive-In in '99

but i love the record too.

and Daniel, most likely early 2007, but they have almost 15 songs done now. the new songs i heard last year sounded killer, but who knows what they'll end up like in the studio.

but i love the record too.

and Daniel, most likely early 2007, but they have almost 15 songs done now. the new songs i heard last year sounded killer, but who knows what they'll end up like in the studio.

I wonder if they'll include The Safety Dance on the new one?

safetydance.jpg

did you ever see them live?

i didn't "get it" either until i saw them live, and the 2 times since then only confirmed my thoughts. easily one of the best new bands i've seen live in years. last time i got that feeling from seeing a new band live was when i saw At The Drive-In in '99.

So you're saying, I'm not listening to them right, and I should try again? :lol

I've seen them on TV, and they annoyed me. I wouldn't pay to see them live, because I don't like their record.

Wow. Did I just sound like Aman? That was kinda scary.