The case against Sufjan Stevens

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No shit, that's the case with all music criticism. Makes him even more of a pantywaist in my book. If you're going to make a bold statement against an artist, don't cop out at the end.

Though the idea of Lester Bangs finishing one of his cough syrup fueled diatribes with, well this is just my opinion is mildly amusing.

--Mike

Hey, does anyone know if Conor Oberst fucked his wife or something? He's got a personal problem with the guy.

Dude, I already made that joke when the reviews were first put up. I used the word "slept" rather than "fucked," though.

Man, the backlash against Stevens is almost too incredible to believe. I just can't understand it.

Just imagine if Dylan were coming up through the ranks today instead of in the Sixties. "Oh, Blonde on Blonde? It's cute. A little precocious, I suppose, but I like the vagueish literary aspect of it all. Nah, I don't really listen to it more than maybe once a year... it's just cute hipster shit."

So I was mouthing off to a coworker about "STE" and my distaste (AKA punchinfaceatude) for his writing styles, and how he just seems to me to try to pass off opinion as fact and to back up my argument pointed the AMG "biography" on Gram Parsons. I disagree that that statement is in a biography. A customer overheard all of this, and what does she buy? The first 2 Flying Burrito Bros albums. She was checking them out b/c she had just finished the Pamela Des Barres autobiography and then she heard my ranting. I said "I hope you like this, but I don't think Gram is the father of country rock."

he just seems to me to try to pass off opinion as fact
Of course, that's all according to my own ears, and there are plenty of people who disagree with me, whether they're other music scribes or trusted friends and colleagues.

So, if he's being bold he's an asshole, but if he's not bold enough he's a pantywaist? ;)

So I was mouthing off to a coworker about "STE" and my distaste (AKA punchinfaceatude) for his writing styles, and how he just seems to me to try to pass off opinion as fact and to back up my argument pointed the AMG "biography" on Gram Parsons. I disagree that that statement is in a biography. A customer overheard all of this, and what does she buy? The first 2 Flying Burrito Bros albums. She was checking them out b/c she had just finished the Pamela Des Barres autobiography and then she heard my ranting. I said "I hope you like this, but I don't think Gram is the father of country rock."

Clarence White and "Nashville West " came into country rock first....Gram rode a few coat tails.......

--Robert.

A customer overheard all of this, and what does she buy? The first 2 Flying Burrito Bros albums. She was checking them out b/c she had just finished the Pamela Des Barres autobiography and then she heard my ranting. I said "I hope you like this, but I don't think Gram is the father of country rock."

Nice going, Barry.

barry.jpg

barry.jpg

"I thought this was going to be a fucking intellectual stimulator man"

I think he has a couple of valid points - sure the albums are a little over-long, but some of the music on there is beautiful and, sure, it's not going to be to everyone's taste, but I like it and even all the versions of Chicago on The Avalanche do something for me as well!

That movie is completely accurate, but sadly there will be no more Lisa Bonet shows at Lounge Ax.

The one thing I've ever enjoyed Jack Black in ... except maybe The Jackal, in which he gets blown to pieces with a railgun.

The one thing I've ever enjoyed Jack Black in ... except maybe The Jackal, in which he gets blown to pieces with a railgun.

Yeah, when his arm falls off its fairly humerous

guys who work/worked at the same record shop as samo...who look an awful lot like the two guys from high fidelity.

I don't know them.

The drummer from Slapshot used to work at the Newbury Comics I frequented in the early 90's.