Rivers Cuomo: Weezer is 'done'

link

Friday, July 14, 2006; Posted: 9:10 a.m. EDT (13:10 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Rivers Cuomo says that, for now, Weezer is "done."

Cuomo, the band's bespectacled songwriter and frontman, told MTV that while he remains in touch with his bandmates, "we've never mentioned getting together."

"Really, for the moment, we are done," he said. "And I'm not certain we'll ever make a record again, unless it becomes really obvious to me that we need to do one."

Weezer has released five albums since forming in 1993. The group took a considerable break between 1996's "Pinkerton" and 2001's self-titled disc (typically called "The Green Album"). The band's last release was "Make Believe," in 2005.

The liner notes of that album led to conjecture that it was Weezer's last. They included a quote from a parting soliloquy in Shakespeare's "Tempest," the playwright's last play.

Cuomo, 36, said he has been writing songs, but said, "I don't know what'll happen with these songs -- if anything. ... I certainly don't see them becoming Weezer songs, and I don't really see the point of a solo career. So we'll just have to see."

Jim Merlis, a spokesman for Geffen said that the label had no official response, but did add Cuomo has made similar statements in the past.

Cuomo recently graduated from Harvard and married his longtime girlfriend, Kyoko Ito.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press

Its no great loss considering they havent made a decent record since '96...

I heard this a couple of days ago and felt the same way: who cares? They haven't released anything decent in years and in general blew it. I am sad because Rivers really did write a great album. I guess he just forgot how.

I hope they box-together all of those demos from the 3-5 albums. Most of those demos are far superior to the album tracks. especially the album 4 demos.

I heard this a couple of days ago and felt the same way: who cares? They haven't released anything decent in years and in general blew it. I am sad because Rivers really did write a great album. I guess he just forgot how.

in between the great album and now he's had a leg shortened, sold all his earthly possessions, lived in rick rubin's garage and hit on asian chicks at harvard. and stuff. he's not all right in the head.

(especially the hitting on asian chicks at harvard part.)

I'm probably the only one who even remotely likes their last 3 records. I think Maladroit is an above average album with a lot of really good songs, Green ALbum isn't terrible, but it's pretty run of the mill, and Make Believe has some good songs and some bad songs, but overall, I like it.

And Pinkerton and Blue album are two of the 10 best albums of the 90's and two of my favorite albums ever.

Wow, Green Day and Weezer bashing in one thread! Yes!