Rivers Cuomo: Weezer is 'done'

I liked the Green album because it was just a fun record...but as a follow-up to Pinkerton? It was just a hard act to follow. You can't put an album like that out and then follow it up with the Green album and expect people to not be pissed. What's sad is that it was deliberate on Rivers part.

Maladroit doesn't have too bad of songs; the production was the problem. Make Believe was just not that great. A few good songs, but Rivers had lost it.

What's sad is that it was deliberate on Rivers part.
Agreed. It was almost like, "How cookie-cutter can I make this album?" I think all of the songs on the Green Album are structurally the same and all of the solos are simply the melody line of the song. And, how less original could the album name/style be?

I discovered Weezer with The Green Album. I randomly bought the week it came out, and I was in 8th grade. I loved it and still do - for what it is. I guess since I didn't know of TBA and Pink I was able to apprciate the pretty impressive pop-craftmanship seen in every song; to me, it''s sounds as if it's written by someone who knew exactly what they were doing. That being said, if I was viewing TGA as a followup to Pink (which today ranks in my top ten all time), I'd probably be pissed.

I think alot of Maladroit--musically, at least--is pretty great. Songs like Dope Nose, Keep Fishin, Slave, American Gigillo and Love Explosion are all really catchy, and the lyrics, while stupid, aren't horrible.

Make Believe, on the other hand, was a huge dissapointment and then some. A few good songs, but ridic. pedestrian musically and nearly all the lyrics are horrible. It was supposed to be the album where Rivers proved he still had it; the final product only proved the exact oppisite.

I discovered Weezer with The Green Album. I randomly bought the week it came out, and I was in 8th grade. I loved it and still do - for what it is. I guess since I didn't know of TBA and Pink I was able to apprciate the pretty impressive pop-craftmanship seen in every song; to me, it''s sounds as if it's written by someone who knew exactly what they were doing. That being said, if I was viewing TGA as a followup to Pink (which today ranks in my top ten all time), I'd probably be pissed.

I think alot of Maladroit--musically, at least--is pretty great. Songs like Dope Nose, Keep Fishin, Slave, American Gigillo and Love Explosion are all really catchy, and the lyrics, while stupid, aren't horrible.

Make Believe, on the other hand, was a huge dissapointment and then some. A few good songs, but ridic. pedestrian musically and nearly all the lyrics are horrible. It was supposed to be the album where Rivers proved he still had it; the final product only proved the exact oppisite.

I almost completely agree with this post, as I also discovered the Green Album before anything else.

I downloaded the demos before the album came out, mistakenly thinking it was the leaked album - and was blown away by it. I bought the record when it was released, and was left to wonder what the hell happened.

I downloaded the demos before the album came out, mistakenly thinking it was the leaked album - and was blown away by it. I bought the record when it was released, and was left to wonder what the hell happened.

Your not alone, among some Weezer fans at least, in your thinking. About 90% of the A4 demos that didn't end up on the album,however, I thought were horrible.

I wish more bands would do what they did with the pre-Maladroit Demos. That was just friggin' sweet checking the site in the afternoon/evening and seeing that there were 4 new demos up. Just awesome.

And yes, those demos were way better than the album and there were several songs that didn't make the album that sounded really friggin' good too.

However, after their newest one, I believe this is the right decision. There wasn't a good song on "Make Believe." Not one.

Throughout the 90's, I didn't really care that much about weezer, (i like buddy holly, sweater song, and el scorcho)

But...

At coachellafest 2005 as wilco was playing, weezer fans were shouting "get off the stage" to Wilco so weezer could get on.

Then I wanted to take a picture of the crowd at coachella, but weezer fans wouldn't let me, of course:

weezer.jpg

Needless to say, I hate Weezer now.

P.S. Weezer sucked musically as well, whiched helped change my opinion

Guest Rufer
Rivers Cuomo - Genius or Flake? You decide: Rivers Interview

Well, I'm no Weezer lover but that was a good interview. Neither genius nor flake, rather he came off as an open and honest intelligent dude with a decent perspective which surprised me. Now, obviously open, honest, intelligent dudes don't necessarily make the best music though.

for real? i have a friend who's a die hard weezer fangirl, but said they absolutely sucked in concert.

Well, I only saw them once, but it was pretty awesome. They got destroyed by the Foo Fighters in the concert, but I enjoyed myself alot.