Learning How to Die

I'm Just curious what those of you who read this book think about it. I personally feel that it sheds a lot of light on some misunderstood aspects of Jeff's life both on and off the stage/in and out of the studio. A must read for any Wilco fanatic. Jay Farrar is a dickhead!

Edited by yankhotelfox
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a very well liked book around these parts, but as a somewhat obssessed detail nerd, I like it very much. I do however think Kot has a tendency toward the dramatic and overplays things quite a bit throughout. Definitely pretty fun read though.

Since I didn't hop on the bandwagon until YHF I had no clue about the Uncle Tupelo days and such. For many "old timers" around these parts much of the book was old news, while some of us newbies got a bit more out of it. Some details were disputed by some on the board, but Kot double (and in some cases triple) checked his facts.

It's not a very well liked book around these parts, but as a somewhat obssessed detail nerd, I like it very much. I do however think Kot has a tendency toward the dramatic and overplays things quite a bit throughout. Definitely pretty fun read though.

agreed, I read it and a quick read at that, I learned a lot and then I went back to just listening to the music

I think like the Ryan Adams book that some dude wrote a few years ago, Wilco is too early in its history - to have a book written about them. I think Mr. Kot rushed that out so he could sell a lot of copies around the time of the film.

I think like the Ryan Adams book that some dude wrote a few years ago, Wilco is too early in its history - to have a book written about them. I think Mr. Kot rushed that out so he could sell a lot of copies around the time of the film.

That is kind of my assessment as well..........although the UT history sketch was useful.....It is WAYYY too early for a "history" of Wilco.

--Robert.

I enjoyed the book,but hopefully further on up the road there will be much more history to talk about & we'll get a massive tome along the lines of "Shakey" or "Garcia,an American Life".

I do think Kot kinda jumped the gun..

Scott

I enjoyed it. It really shed light --for me at least-- on Jeff's early years.

It's an important part of what I call the trio:

"Learning to Die"

"I Am Trying To Break Your Heart"

"The Wilco Book"

Edited by CalebMac
:lol :blush

I liked the book and know that a lot of research effort & hours went into it. Chapter 10 is a good one. :thumbup

purple umbrella and a fifty cent hat misses cool rides out in her aged Cadillac :o

JAY FARRAR'S A DICK!!!1!! YAAAYYY

Well, Jeff did steal his fried chicken, girlfriend, since of humour, dirty white shirt, hat, Sprite, snuff, and air conditioner.

I only read the first paragraph and thought it was too overly dramatic.

Because of the incredible sarcasm displayed by some of the people that post here, I think you must be kidding. If not, I feel very sorry for you. Anyone with a brain stem would tell you to give a book more than a flippin' paragraph before you judge it. It was a bit dramatic but that is no reason to totally discredit it. What a moron!

Edited by yankhotelfox
Because of the incredible sarcasm displayed by some of the people that post here, I think you must be kidding. If not, I feel very sorry for you. Anyone with a brain stem would tell you to give a book more than a flippin' paragraph before you judge it. It was a bit dramatic but that is no reason to totally discredit it. What a moron!

even if I was serious I don't see why you would feel sorry for me.