Learning How to Die

"rich hippie" an oxymoron!

What world needs now is ......more COFFEE CREEK!!!!! :rock

-Robert.

Or speaking from a ms. yvon perspective, which also suits me at the moment, more COFFEE!!!

Gadz, I'm draggin' in this heat! :yucky

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 years later...

What was the lineup in '97 and '98?  SpeedRacer sent me a bunch of dvds several years ago from the Bennett era.  Some of them are probably from those years.  I'd be happy to pay them forward now that I've had custody of them for a long time.

Off the top of my head, I go back onto YouTube for the following pro-shot concerts:
JBTV 1996 (featuring Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow)
2-15-1997 Irving Plaza (used for HBO Reverb)
Summer 1999 Rockpalast.
Hard Rock Live VH1 97

I also have on cd the Chicago 12-31-99 crazy New Year's Eve show with the Martian landing (Soundboard) Lol. And I'm almost positive that there's another from that era that was soundboard. It featured a kick ass break down in Christ For President that sounded like the riff for Money For Nothing. It looks like that one was Chattanooga on 8-28-99. It featured the roadie or someone singing Immigrant Song as the closing number. 

Off the top of my head, I go back onto YouTube for the following pro-shot concerts:

JBTV 1996 (featuring Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow)

2-15-1997 Irving Plaza (used for HBO Reverb)

Summer 1999 Rockpalast.

Hard Rock Live VH1 97

I also have on cd the Chicago 12-31-99 crazy New Year's Eve show with the Martian landing (Soundboard) Lol. And I'm almost positive that there's another from that era that was soundboard. It featured a kick ass break down in Christ For President that sounded like the riff for Money For Nothing. It looks like that one was Chattanooga on 8-28-99. It featured the roadie or someone singing Immigrant Song as the closing number. 

I have 2 of those downloaded, JHamm DVD project. Incidentally, I thought maybe JHamm who made the bootlegs was Jon Hamm. It could be, as Jon Hamm is a big Wilco fan.

Anyway, just head over to sooutoftune.org and look around by year for the late '90s era. Really interesting Wilco era that I enjoy, and not just because of the presence of Jay.

Also, in general, read this book back in February. Very good, but maybe it is time for a 2nd edition now.

I have 2 of those downloaded, JHamm DVD project. Incidentally, I thought maybe JHamm who made the bootlegs was Jon Hamm. It could be, as Jon Hamm is a big Wilco fan.

Anyway, just head over to sooutoftune.org and look around by year for the late '90s era. Really interesting Wilco era that I enjoy, and not just because of the presence of Jay.

Also, in general, read this book back in February. Very good, but maybe it is time for a 2nd edition now.

Yes! I was just on sooutoftune.org and browsing through and I saw quite a few shows for 1998. I don't have any from that year. 

And I'm guessing that Owl & Bear Archive is still up and running. 

Jennifer Westfeldt, Jon Hamm's wife, directed Friends With Kids a few years back and it featured A Shot In The Arm & Solitaire. Could be him? Wasn't there a Don Draper character on here too? 

Edited: I'm listening to the Martian Landing bit and the alien that's doing all the speaking sounds an awful lot like John Hodgman. Doubtful given the year. I forgot that they disclosed that Kenny G & The Olsen Twins were aliens! Ha. The Elvis impersonator! So fucking weird! 

To save others who are interested a few minutes, I've pasted Brian Henneman's two most telling posts from the Farrar board. Link is below.

"Hello friends,

TRUST ME. The Wilco book does NOT paint the picture accurately. I love Jeff, I love Jay, I was there in the early days.

I didn't see any outright LIES, but, I did, swiftly, catch the fact that it is a "spun" telling of the tale.

I did see some inaccurate information.

Jeff is a great talent. Jay is a great talent.

Neither one is "better" than the other. They're just different.

Don't buy into the "character assasination" of Jay, that seems to flow through the book.

My personal evaluation, as a guy who was there, is this: consider the "vibe" painted, in the Uncle Tupelo, through A.M. chapters, as being about 50% accurate. The other 50% is slanted in Jeff's favor, but hey, it's a WILCO book!

I have no idea what the accuracy rate of the Wilco, post A.M. chapters are, I wasn't there, and that's too bad, 'cause I really wanted to know what happened, after I left.

Judging by the part I DID know, and how the story was told, I'm afraid I'll never know the true story.

The inaccuracies, and "slant", in the early chapters, actually made me lose interest in the upcoming parts, which were the ones I was most looking forward to.

Think of the book, as a Wilco story, written from the perspective of a guy, who knows, and, REALLY admires Jeff Tweedy, and, who respects, but, doesn't really know Jay at all.

From The Horse's Mouth,

Brian Henneman"

"Let me set this, somewhat, straight.

The Wilco book, is NOT fiction, by any means. I think Greg Kot did the best he could, with what he had.

The inaccuracies, in the chapters I knew about, are trivial, and, meaningless to the story. I can't comment on the later chapters, 'cause I wasn't there.

There DOES seem to be a "Jay bashing" taking place in the story though, which I found unenjoyable.

I'd have rather had it be ALL "pro-Jeff", and, have no Jay in it at all.

It looks, to me, like Jeff was made out to be a bit more "cool", and "heroic" than he really was, and Jay was made out to be some kind of oppressive "bad guy", which, really, isn't exactly true.

What I don't like, is the fact that Jay was not given the chance to tell his side of the story (not that he'd really WANT to, in a Wilco book...).

What you get, is a bunch of Jay's friends, talkin' about Wilco, and more of their quotes, than ANY of us would have ever imagined, being used, VERY discriminately, to paint a picture of Jay, as something I'm sure NONE of us ever dreamed would be included, in a Wilco book, AND in a way, that if we KNEW the context they'd be used in, we'd have made our points clearer.

I'd say Jay was about 20% of what I talked about with Greg Kot, but, about 90% of THAT was used in the book.

Jeff's not a bad guy.

Jay's not a bad guy.

Greg Kot's not a bad guy.

I can only hope that somebody would "favor" me, the same way, as Greg did Jeff, in a Bottle Rockets book.

I'd also hope they wouldn't "tear down" people I've worked with along the way.

I'm not down with the "Negative Jay" vibe, not when painted by soundbytes, from second-hand stories.

Kinda gives it a "tabloid" aura...

Overall, I'd say the book gives the "essence" of what went down. I guess somebody's gonna lose, in any "break up" story.

I think Jay lost a little "harder" than he should have in this one though.

Brian"

Farrar board on the Wilco book

I literally spent 20 minutes searching their boards (boy, they really DO NOT like Wilco or Jeff) for Henneman's posts. Then reading random stuff he posted, then I scrolled down one MM on this thread and saw this post.....I used to be smart, but I'm not anymore. Too much Spiders/Kidsmoke I guess.

It would indeed be fun to think that jhamm was Jon Hamm but its Jesse Hamm. He is the person who really fed my Wilco addiction early on by sending me lots of DVDs which I still treasure. Thank you Jesse!

He is the person who really fed my Wilco addiction early on by sending me lots of DVDs which I still treasure. Thank you Jesse!

Same here.  Jesse has been generous to so many of us in so many ways!