a thing of the past

Or they can just slowly go under and blame the internet, like that guy who's running Vintage Vinyl.
I don't know, the time that I was in Vintage Vinyl they had lots of customers. Frankly the old fashioned record store has the same problem that all retailers have, including large departments stores, specialty stores and other store front operations. There will always be a certian number of people who like to shop in stores and there will be an increasing number who are just as content to sit in front of a computer and order offline. I do both and see the value in both. No business can afford to sit back and believe that their storefront operation is the only way to sell product. In fact most used book dealers I have talked to have also started selling big time on the net as well. I mean I buy from dealers on the net through Amazon all the time. I find something I want, find the price I want, pay for it and hope it shows up. It is far easier than driving to a bookstore and hoping they have what I want. I still go to bookstores and shop too, but more often those purchases are based on impulse buys (the same as I make at Lauries on a regular basis.)

LouieB

Regarding vinyl.....

People here and some of the people we know, even young people dig vinyl IF and only if they want it and know it is still availble and have the same fetish many of us have here about it. The rest of the world believes vinyl disappeared a decade ago and when you inform them that there are still vinyl records they look at you in amazement.

LouieB

the biggest indie store here just expanded a couple of years ago, and despite the ability to preview via the internet, there's still heaps of people waiting to listen to cds on a saturday afternoon. i even do it myself sometimes. its a different sorta thing to sit in a record store for a couple of hours on a rainy day, rather than having had listened to everything already, and just pop in to pick up exactly what you want.

the future is not completely bleak.

The truth is that most record stores will disappear. I would guess that 90% of people who used to go to stores weren't serious music fans - just casual listeners looking for the latest top 40 release, and are now happy to sit at home and get it online. Those customers are gone forever, and proportionally most of the retail stores with them.

A small number of record stores will continue - even thrive, selling to what you might call a 'niche market' (just the same way that vinyl continues to sell, in small - but stable - numbers). The record stores that survive will be the ones that recognize this, and adapt accordingly. Seems like more than a few have already figured this out.

I agree. In Vancouver, Zulu Records is still going strong (as street spirit observed), but the Virgin Megastore recently closed its doors. :D

I think the whole internet thing is more of a legitimate concern than the big box stores. I can never find anything I want at Best Buy and I can buy it cheaper on iTunes anyhow. but, back to the indie store, even iTunes doesn't carry some of things i'm looking for either. there will always be a niche and that's what the indies need to focus on.

I don't see anyone buying vinly unless you are some sort of music freak. Hell, even I don't buy vinly records - unless they are some old thing from time to time. I know some bands are putting them out - but I am old enough to recall when record stores were actually full of new records. That ain't gonna happen again. Same with cassettes and cds. The way of the future is digital over the internet, no artwork, small sound files, etc. I don't like it - I feel like I sold out when I started buying cds - but that is the way it is. If you dudes live in a big enough city that can support a real music store - that is great. I think places such as GEMM will be or are the new indie place for the rest of us. At least, that is what I have been told.

If you dudes live in a big enough city that can support a real music store - that is great.

Yeah, I was sort of taking that as a 'given'. I do know quite a few people who still buy vinyl though - new releases at that. It's not as unusual or rare as you might think. It's way below the top 40 radar, fer sure - but most independent-label artists (even many majors) still release their stuff on vinyl. Not too hard to find online, either.

I don't see anyone buying vinly unless you are some sort of music freak.
Aren't we all? :lol Edited by Sid Hartha

It is an interesting discussion...that I need to go support a business versus the other way around. If a retailer is following 'Business 101' and filling/supporting a consumers need, then they'll be successful. The level of success proportionate to amount of consumers that have said need to be supported.

Maybe the business model doesn't support a brick and mortar operation as much anymore and they should switch or at least augment w/ a web-based ordering system. It kind of sucks, but that's how businesses are run...otherwise, it's just a library.

I don't see anyone buying vinly unless you are some sort of music freak.

:wave I buy cds, and then albums I really love I'll buy on vinyl too.

As for iTunes, I've only bought 2 full albums from there, and I'll probably never do it again. Yeah, the price is right and you get the music immediately, but I hated not having tangible liner notes and the "cd art". :rolleyes So I don't see downloading ever replacing record stores for me.

So I don't see downloading ever replacing record stores for me.

What about the music you don't get from an iTunes? like the :ninja kind. unless you buy physical copies of everything you DL.

I actually am the same way, but it's becoming easier for me to part w/ the packaging when I can't find the album in any of the stores or the album isn't worth buying in it's entirety.

What about the music you don't get from an iTunes? like the :ninja kind. unless you buy physical copies of everything you DL.

Actually, I do. B) (Unless it TOTALLY sucks, which is very rare).

In fact, just last weekend I threw away 2 burnt cd's that I finally bought real copies of (The Raconteurs and Band of Horses).

Actually, I do. B) (Unless it TOTALLY sucks, which is very rare).

In fact, just last weekend I threw away 2 burnt cd's that I finally bought real copies of (The Raconteurs and Band of Horses).

Fair enough. I do too...if it's really, really good. I wish getting stuff that sucked was as rare for me as it was for you though. :lol

:wave I buy cds, and then albums I really love I'll buy on vinyl too.

As for iTunes, I've only bought 2 full albums from there, and I'll probably never do it again. Yeah, the price is right and you get the music immediately, but I hated not having tangible liner notes and the "cd art". :rolleyes So I don't see downloading ever replacing record stores for me.

Some day, that is all there will be. Maybe in our lifetime, maybe not. I am like you - I prefer the real thing. I have a list and I get what is on that list.

And yes I know WILCO or Ryan Adams or Scarf Rock Band # 34 put out actuall vinly albums - but I don't see Mary and John Smith trucking down to Cool Hand Duke of Prune's Record Store to buy such a thing. Most people I know think I am insane to have as much music as I have - they are content to listen to the radio in their car and maybe get a cd at Christmas or some such thing.

The reason I think cds are going to go is because like most things the music business is geared toward the youth of today So when Sally Smith wants the new Pussycats Dolls Pitch Corrected Opus Number 5, is she going to go get it at WalMart? Maybe - but more likely than not - Mary and John are just going to give her the old credit card number or whatever it takes - so she can grab it off of itunes. Why? Becasue that is what all of her friends are doing.

Or as a freshman once said to me in the library - "Dude, how do you operate this record thing?"

Think about it - 78s went, reel to reel went, cassettes went, mini-disc went (did they ever catch on?), etc.

I agree, the writing is on the wall and it says: digital. Give it one generation, when we're all senior citizens with grandkids, and their musical world will be nothing like the good ol days of local record stores. But by that time, we may get music directly downloaded into our brains. Until then, I'll continue to frequent Ella Guru, Decatur CD and other local Atlanta music stores (and maybe buy from itunes once in a while).

I'm so glad I saved most of my stuff from the childhood days.Although all the 45's I bought back in the late '60's-early '70's at the local Mom & Pop vinyl store (Baxter's) with my allowance isn't in pristine enough condition to play on my turntable I own,my 15 year old has a "close-n-play" type turntable in her room w/ all my remaining 45's & LPs from that time.Some of the best singles from Strawberry Fields to Bohemain Rhapsody is up there & still gets an airing from time to time.

Some of her friends have never heard 45s :no

Scott

I'm so glad I saved most of my stuff from the childhood days.Although all the 45's I bought back in the late '60's-early '70's at the local Mom & Pop vinyl store (Baxter's) with my allowance isn't in pristine enough condition to play on my turntable I own,my 15 year old has a "close-n-play" type turntable in her room w/ all my remaining 45's & LPs from that time.Some of the best singles from Strawberry Fields to Bohemain Rhapsody is up there & still gets an airing from time to time.

Some of her friends have never heard 45s :no

Scott

I was just talking about 45s today - my Brother Louie by Stories 45.

This site has a good selection of what is currently available on vinyl. The stuff they choose to show on that page is pretty high, but you'll see stuff on Matador and other indies isn't nearly as expensive.

I guess the indie store is more of a specialty store rather than a standard. As Dr. El pointed out, we do sell a lot of DVDs as well as CDs/LPs. I guess people aren't as comfortable downloading movies yet, and that probably saves us.

Fair enough. I do too...if it's really, really good. I wish getting stuff that sucked was as rare for me as it was for you though. :lol

:lol I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I don't really download that many albums, and when I do, it's either a band I know I like or a one that has been compared favorably to a band I like. Usually there's at least something on there that I feel is worth having. And I didn't mean to make it sound like I have a crazy disposable income...it definitely takes me awhile to get around to buying stuff.

and that probably saves us.

and don't forget the impeccable customer service and shopping experience. no matter what I say about the busines apsects of this, buying tunes online could never be as pleasant of an experience as the browsing, looking at the album/CD artwork and potential conversation w/ cool record store clerks about music. hopefully, there are enough people out there who want that to keep good ones open...at least until after my kids get past an age where that stuff is cool.

Vals Halla in Oak Park, IL is closing its doors after 30 years.....sad.

LouieB

Update on Vals Halla...I heard that they are moving to a new location in Oak Park, on Harrison Street. The last day at the current location will be July 30, but the new store should be open in a month or two. That's good news!

and don't forget the impeccable customer service and shopping experience. no matter what I say about the busines apsects of this, buying tunes online could never be as pleasant of an experience as the browsing, looking at the album/CD artwork and potential conversation w/ cool record store clerks about music. hopefully, there are enough people out there who want that to keep good ones open...at least until after my kids get past an age where that stuff is cool.

This is what does it for me. Very lucky way down here in Baton Rouge to have a really great indie Store, the Compact Disc Shop. Great guys in there and always good conversation. Very common (i.e. golden Smog) for me to walk in and ask "hey wasn't this released on vinyl" and have them hand me the one they set aside for me behind the counter. As far as selection, everything I have been looking for lately was released on vinyl...Golden Smog (they had a ton of the posters), Band of Horses, MMJ, etc. And, of course, I think they sound better when I want to sit at home and listen to music.