7/16/06 -- Florence, MA

Went to a Wilco show and an Autumn Defense show broke out. Haha. Apparently the M's got held up at the border and couldn't make it in time for their opening set, so the Autumn Defense (acoustic duo version) capably filled in. That definitely set the tone for a fun, loose last night of the tour. :P More comments possibly to follow later...

Autumn Defense opening set:

new song-Magnificent Is Your Common Sense (first line of song, probably not title)

Silence

The Sun In California

Written In the Snow

new song-The City Bells (with Glenn Kotche, Nels Cline, Jeff Tweedy and Mikael Jorgensen on percussion)

The Answer

Tuesday Morning

new song-How Wonderful You Are (not sure if this is the actual title)

The World (Will Soon Turn Our Way)

Wilco set:

Via Chicago

new song-What Light

The Late Greats

IATTBYH

Hell is Chrome

Handshake Drugs

War on War

new song-Impossible Germany (solo/jam at end)

A Shot in the Arm

At Least That's What You Said

Jesus, etc.

Walken

Theologians

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

---------------------------------

new song-Let's Fight

Misunderstood>

Wishful Thinking>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

---------------------------------

Airline to Heaven

Hesitating Beauty

Heavy Metal Drummer

Kingpin

Far, Far Away

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Impossible Germany with the solo back at the end. I liked this version better.

2. Let's Fight. Never heard it, but I hope it's all good.

3. Hesitating Beauty, Wishful Thinking.

4. Hummingbird ending the main set. They've done this many a time, and I'm beginning to like it now.

5. Far, Far Away closer. By far, the best thing ever.

Best setlist thus far in the tour. And nice to know the AD opened. Excellence! I hope someone caught their set also... :)

Just got back from the Pines' show. Excellent show without a doubt!!

Kingpin in concert has taken on a life all its own (which I welcome). This song, when played LOUD during one of the encores as it was tonight, completely *%@#ing ROCKS!! I always liked this song on Being There but I like their recent live versions very much.

Walken has quietly crept up on me as my favorite new song that they've been playing live on this tour. What a Light and Impossible Germany sounded really great tonight as well. Walken is a solid guitar tune and I love the slide (and other) guitar playing on this song. Nels and Jeff (with Pat as well) were really playing off each other well tonight from a guitarist standpoint.

Excellent show at a great venue. I am definitely looking forward to the new album.

What a a great show! :D

Went with my friend Will, a live Wilco novice, and we both thought it was great. Great setting (reminded me of the SummerStage Central Park show of a few years ago) and a great crowd.

Autumn Defense playing was a great treat. Most of the crowd was fabulous, a few talkers... but it's so great to hear Pat and John sing solo! Each have great voices, almost sad to have them lost in the whole Wilco thing. And the Autumn Defense feat. Wilco moment was great. Mikael came out after the others and was hilarious in his rock moves (as he was all night, by far takes the comedian award).

Great set, kid of all over the place in my view, but again, great show.

can't wait to see the pics of this... transistion from laid back hot afternoon to stary stary night in the firefly speckled wooded setting to the sounds of AD and wilco was amazing...

by far the loosest/goofiest i've ever seen them at a wilco show, liked the new songs far better live than the first impression from mp3s, agree with what someone said last week about there's a light becoming a light hearted fun singalong live before long... lets fight is good, some odd casio-ish synth sounds in there during the verses but its definitely a good low key tune...

random funny things - "what happened to you guys?>where's YOUR mustache?", the headband stuff, and of course - most of all - that really amazingly cool guy that went up and helped explain the reasoning and methodology of the 'kingpin scream'.

nice night.

Sounds like a really fun show!

random funny things - "what happened to you guys?>where's YOUR mustache?", the headband stuff, and of course - most of all - that really amazingly cool guy that went up and helped explain the reasoning and methodology of the 'kingpin scream'.

What's this about mustaches?

Glen has grown this half way there mustache, so during the final encore the band (starting with Mikeal and Nels, but Pat and John ended up joining in on the fun) had some electrical tape mustaches to poke a little fun at Glen. It was pretty funny.

I was standing next to the lady who made the pecan pie, not a fun day to bake... way, way to hot.

My personal favorite song was Walken. just sounded great last night.

For the second encore, everyone except Jeff and Glenn (b/c, you know, he already has a fabbo 'stache :P) came out with fake gaffer tape "mustaches." I'm not entirely sure if it was to make fun of Glenn's attempt at growing one or if it was an homage to Josh, one of their techs, who has one of the all-time great 'staches, but in any case, it was pretty hilarious. I think Nels' ended up on his forehead at one point and he ended up maybe giving it to someone in the crowd. :D

The show was amazing! My first Wilco show. I've been trying to see them for years now but they've always managed to avoid me (or me them) for some reason but what a great first show this was. The Pines was a really intimate outdoor place. We got there about 20 minutes before the Autumn Defense set and walked right to the front, in front of Jeff. Great view of everyone on stage and the sound was still pretty good where we were standing (except for when Jeff was playing some loud electric parts, we'd get a little blown away by his amp). Everyone was in great spirits. Highlights for me were "Via Chicago," "Misunderstood," "Walken" and "Let's Fight," and the "Far, Far Away" final encore. Going into the show, I was hoping they wouldn't play too many A Ghost Is Born tracks but I thought those were some of the most rockin' of the night, especially "Hell Is Chrome" and "At Least That's What You Said" (which is being played at bbqs across the country).

Can't wait to hear the recording!

who is Paul!

I was right behind that guy in Montreal. He looked familiar and I was joking that I'd probably see him in Mass..All of a sudden he's on stage!

By The way, does anyone else hear Black Crowes in the news songs???? especially walken?