Instrumental 1

If you just want chords to work around, I can give you those off the top of my head.

The main theme is D G Em A

The second theme is D Dsus D Dsus D Bm A

I'll see if I can't notate the real thing sometime today.

EDIT- Those are rough chords, so I may be leaving out 7ths, 6ths, etc.

Edited by groselicain
The second theme is D Dsus D Dsus D Bm A

I've always heard this as D G/D D Em/D D Bm A

(though Jay probably mixes it up a bit and I've been known to be wrong about these kinds of things with tragic, irreversible, potentially fatal consequences).

Haha, fatal...

No, I wouldn't disagree with you at all. Transcribing has always been easy for me, but piano tends to be the area of most of my errors. Since (almost all) the hammers hit two strings, and the way they resonate causes that piano sound of tones and harmonics and overtones, I don't always hear all the notes or sometimes omit notes. SO, in this case, the F# that raises to G to make a suspended chord or a D/G chord was mistaken on my part for a different G. Wait... you typed G/D. Then I have no idea. I still say you're porbably right. I guess everyone can skip this post.

I don't always hear all the notes or sometimes omit notes.

Interesting, I'm the exact opposite where I will hear notes that don't exist or voice things as huge chords when they're just two notes.

Anyway, the only difference between a Dsus4 and a G/D is the first has an A and the second has a B (assuming I'm writing that correctly, I get these things confused in a way that risks serious personal injury or at least gastric distress, a G chord with a D in the bass is what I meant, similarly, E minor chord with a D in the bass).

Further anyway, I don't know what you're talking about, groselicain, your transcription of Venus Stopped the Train (which is all piano for those of you in the audience) is damn good.

Haha, you can call me Cody, and I'll assume your name is James from your myspace. ;) Thanks for looking at that, I wasn't 100% sure about any of it, so that helps a lot. About the G/D slash D/G thing, as of the last week I've mixed up all chords with different root notes because of a bandmate's last compostition. He used F#/D and A/C#, which I easily confused with D/F# and A/C#, the much more common chords. So at this point, my motto is "It's all major and numbers, no extra letters."

PS, sorry about never send you a sampling of the Elliott Smith tribute thing, we've been working and recording for our demo all week and haven't gotten a chance to record a proper version of it. Just for the record, don't try to contact Nonesuch/Wilco about demos. They don't reply. Now I'm going to send it to Jeff Lynne :thumbup

Edited by groselicain

Thanks, Cody. :cheers

Yeah, a couple of months ago I was going to transcribble Instrumental 1 on ledger paper, scan it and post it here as a jpeg so I worked up something pretty close to what Jay's doing. Then, I got really lazy (I think I wrote out four measures, realized I had left out a section, decided I didn't want to erase what I wrote or write it again, and quit). Ah, giving up again, this is why the ladies love me.

F#/D = wacky cool.

PS. No problem on not sending the Elliott Smith demo, I'm in no hurry. It just sounded (from what you described) really cool. Take your time.

Is this the instrumental that has lyrics on the engineer demos? Or is that #2? I lost my copy of the old ones and only have the engineer demos now.

Thanks and sorry if this is a stupid question.

Is this the instrumental that has lyrics on the engineer demos? Or is that #2? I lost my copy of the old ones and only have the engineer demos now.

Thanks and sorry if this is a stupid question.

This is the piano-based instrumental that serves as the music for Let Me Come Home.

The other one is a full-band demo that is the basis for Corduroy Cutoff Girl (which is nicely transcibed with only a couple of wrong notes by some handsome young lad elsewhere on this site).