Non 4/4 time signatures?

Forgive me if I sound a little ignorant here (that's because I am). I'm curious about non 4/4 time signatures. What Wilco/Uncle Tupelo songs are not in standard 4/4?

Remember the Mountain Bed -- 6/8

It's Just That Simple -- 3/4

One By One -- 6/8

The chorus in Far, Far Away is in 3/4

Why Would You Wanna Live's chorus is in 3/4

The chorus in More Like the Moon is in 3/4

The piano solo in Pieholden Suite is in 6/8

At the end of the baritone guitar solo in Secret of the Sea there's a bar of 3/4

I might call Joe Dimaggio's Done it Again 2/2 (cut time)

That's all I can think of right now.

The piano solo in Pieholden Suite is in 6/8

First verse in Pieholden is also 6/8

Would Hoodoo Voodoo also count as 2/2?

Is "What Light?" in 3/4 or am i making that up?

I'd call it 6/8

I generally think of 6/8 as a three in two feel = BOOM uh uh CHICK uh uh BOOM uh uh CHICK uh uh

Whereas 3/4 is more three in one = BOOM chick chick BOOM chick chick

That might be more confusing than helpful.

Coltrane's Classic Quartet could swing like no others in 6/8. You can hear their influence in rock on things like the verse of the Allman's "Whipping Post." It seems like 3/4 is more common in rock and country, and 6/8 is more common in jazz, though there certainly are exceptions.

Sounds more like 6/8 to me...

Yeah, this could be more a matter of convention or whatever makes it easiest to think about. To be clear, I said More Like the Moon's chorus, but that's a mistake. It's really the 4 (or 2 depending on who wins this argument) bars that happen after the line "Why don't you come to me now, Know who you are".

I think I said 3/4 because the drums play [KICK snare snare KICK snare snare], which seems like (though by no means demands) a 3/4 feel.

I would expect (though by no means is it metaphysically necessary) that a 6/8 beat would be more like [KICK hat hat SNARE hat hat], which is the beat of Remember the Mountain Bed.

Anyway, it hard to tell because when it switches time it doesn't carry over the same value for a eighth note or a quarter note (the time between beats in the 3/4 or 6/8 part is not the same as the length of a quarter note or eighth note in the 4/4 part) but carries over the feel from the quarter note triplet that was in the melody and organ line (so that the length of a beat in the 3/4 or 6/8 part is the same as the length of a quarter note triplet in the 4/4 part). This is unlike Far Far Away where the quater note retains the same value in the 4/4 and 3/4 parts. This makes me hopelessly confused.

Of course, because of this, it might be just as helpful to think of the time signature as staying constant (4/4) but everyone is playing quarter note triplets.

Still, it's a cool part, no?

Of course, because of this, it might be just as helpful to think of the time signature as staying constant (4/4) but everyone is playing quarter note triplets.

Interesting way to think about it.

I agree that it's a 3/4 feel. Compare with Pieholden Suite - the first verse is a little ambiguous - could either be 3/4 or 6/8. But the piano interlude part definite has a "ONE two three FOUR five six" feel. More Like the Moon has a "ONE two three" feel.

• 2 weeks later...

Far, Far Away alternates between 4/4 and 3/4.

Also, what the heck is going on with the rhythm from Hey Chicken (Loose Fur)? It seems to change or break down in a couple of spots--or maybe I just get confused at the changes.